First set of IEM's... personal recommendations?
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ngsm13

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to purchase my first set of IEM's... like the portability factor to be able to use with my Sansa on the way to class mainly.

Looking to spend $50-60, possibly up to $80 if it's really worth it.

I've read good things about the Ety ER-6i, should I pick those up... or what else would you also recommend.

Thanks for you time, and suggestions!

nG

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 22
The ER-6 is a good pair of IEMs, it really could come down to the sound you prefer, if you want a huge amount of bass they won't be for you. Otherwise they are a good choice.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, best in its range IMO for sound, support, and working lifetime. ~$56-60 at RadioShack or on ebay.

Sweet I'll look into these, I like crisp/clear high end... are these superior to the 6i's in your opinion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER-6 is a good pair of IEMs, it really could come down to the sound you prefer, if you want a huge amount of bass they won't be for you. Otherwise they are a good choice.

Solid. Yeah, like I said above I car about the high end, overtop of the bass response. Anything has got to be better than these stock sansa earbuds I currently have...

Thanks for the replies.

nG

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 22
For the best accuracy go with the 6is. But they don't have much bass, but again- they are very very accurate- which is probably the original reason for looking at $70 ear buds.

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 22
If you put Shure sleeves (gray flex or "olives") on the ER6i they even out and don't sound quite so thin.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #8 of 22
I have used the Shure E2c, E3c and E5c, and I thought the two cheaper ones sounded like mud. (E5c was pretty hot though).

I do however miss the tank-like construction of the "old-style" Shure IEMs. My Etys feel so fragile in comparison, though they've weathered nearly four years of heavy use without a single problem.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 22
I can't in good conscience recommend the Super.fi 3 when you can get the ER-6i or the Altec Lansing iM716 or iM616 for about the same price. The Super.fi 3's are just too inaccurate compared to other phones in the price range. Balance with the midrange is the #1 problem with IEMs. Too many have scooped mids (or boosted bass and treble, depending on how you look at it) and the Super.fi 3 is a good example of the phenomenon. They're really meant for the pop music listening iPod crowd that don't have any concept of high fidelity audio.

You should also consider Jays d-JAYS as they're in your price range as well.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngsm13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet I'll look into these, I like crisp/clear high end... are these superior to the 6i's in your opinion?

I haven't heard the 6i's myself. I started with the super.fi 5 pro and then bought the super.fi 3 for my brother. He likes them and I thought they were alright.

Super.fi 3 Studio Specification - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Looking at the frequency chart there, it seems that the only problem it might have is treble rolloff. Definitely not boosted in the treble, and they did have some bass. I do think the Etymotic ER6i is likely a good IEM. I got the super.fi 3 more because I wanted it to have decent sound AND last me a good while. With the replaceable cord of UE support, I don't have any worries leaving them with my accident prone brother. He likes them because of the sound and the way the red matches his Sansa c200.

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't in good conscience recommend the Super.fi 3 when you can get the ER-6i or the Altec Lansing iM716 or iM616 for about the same price. The Super.fi 3's are just too inaccurate compared to other phones in the price range. Balance with the midrange is the #1 problem with IEMs. Too many have scooped mids (or boosted bass and treble, depending on how you look at it) and the Super.fi 3 is a good example of the phenomenon. They're really meant for the pop music listening iPod crowd that don't have any concept of high fidelity audio.

You should also consider Jays d-JAYS as they're in your price range as well.

Alright, thanks for letting my know... I saw the Altec 616's on ebay... would the ER6i's be worth the price over them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a review on AVreview with Shure, Ety, JAYS, Sennheiser, Denon, Audio technica (below 100£) that might help you out on what fits your ears the best.

Alright, I'll look for that... is it avreview.com?

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the 6i's myself. I started with the super.fi 5 pro and then bought the super.fi 3 for my brother. He likes them and I thought they were alright.

Super.fi 3 Studio Specification - Products - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Looking at the frequency chart there, it seems that the only problem it might have is treble rolloff. Definitely not boosted in the treble, and they did have some bass. I do think the Etymotic ER6i is likely a good IEM. I got the super.fi 3 more because I wanted it to have decent sound AND last me a good while. With the replaceable cord of UE support, I don't have any worries leaving them with my accident prone brother. He likes them because of the sound and the way the red matches his Sansa c200.

Sweet, thanks for the information.

nG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back