First set of headphones - Grado SR325 or AKG K240S?
Oct 12, 2002 at 3:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

vince321

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for some help and planning on taking a blind leap. I recently purchased a used cha-47 amp in preperation for my headphone purchase and should be recievig it soon. After doing much reading, I've determined that the Grado or AKG would probably work best, primarily because they are easy to drive.

The Grado's would probably end up costing me around $100 dollars more, but would a new headphone user be able to tell the difference? I've read much about the Grado sound but what about the AKG? There seems to be little information regarding these phones, although they did get an excellent review at http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=2302.

Anyway, comments or opinions on this purchase,before I pull the trigger would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 7
i say grado but i havent used the AKGs. the grados were the first hifi headphones i ever got and theyre still my favorite brand

Oct 12, 2002 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 7
vince321: As far as I know, there are only a few K240S owners, here (Magic77, Pierre Lambion, Tim D and myself...) - but it appears that we all like our K240S' a lot. The most noticable differences compared to the Grado should be less pronounced highs and way better comfort. I also like the handling better, because Grado's rotating earpieces and the stiff cable drive me nuts...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I'm just a little puzzled, because your review link points to the K270S - a closed veteran in AKG's line-up. In my opinion it's not as good as the semi-open K240S despite the higher price...

Oct 12, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 7
I have both the AKG-K240S & K141S and I think both are excellent headphones. Both are only 55-Ohms impedance. The K141S have a much higher sensitivity rating and are easier to drive than the K240S, but both have great sound quality in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Are the K141S's smaller than the 240S? I am very interested in grabbing a pair for use with a D-25S player and a MD player, and was wondering which to go with. Is the sound pretty similar between the two, or does the 240S have more treble and/or bass? What kind of music sounds best through these two pairs? I've heard the AKG stuff has much better soundstage than something like the Sony V6...

thanks!
appar111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back