First serious portable rig - iPod touch 4G or something along the same line?
Nov 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

munchzilla

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, hope it's OK to make a new thread... I tried doing a bit of research but I can't really decide on all I've read. Been so disappointed with previous portable equipment
biggrin.gif

I'm most likely getting the iPod touch as I want something I can watch some TV series and surf the web on from my couch via WLAN- mainly because of screen res. But are there any other with about the same screen res and .. android or something on them? with good sound quality too, of course!
I'm probably going to get a cMoy and Audio Technica ATH-CK10 to go with them, if I can get some info about CK10+cMoy or if I just as well should go unamped.

Soo.. any thoughts?

iPod Touch 4G (+ cMoy) -> Audio Technica ATH-CK10

Thanks

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I am of the opinion that OLED screens are superior to LCDs, even at relatively low resolutions. Better contrast, color, speed, and blacks, might try a Samsung Galaxy S phone or the new player, but I'm not sure the headphone output will be any good from reading a few negative impressions here, though I don't think it could be much worse/better than an iPod, considering that neither of them have custom EQs as far as I know.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 18
The ck10 does fine without an amp, but you will hafe to know that its signature is clean and sharp like the iPod touch. If you like warm and fuzzy, that combination isn't for you. I like it, but i love clear and detailed.

OLED - for moviers, hell, yeah, it is better than LCD. But the saturation is waaaaaay more than real life. For professional applications, it is too saturated, but for portable use especially indoors, it is fun and pops in the eyes. If you like warm and fuzzy sound, you may like OLED. Blacks are better, there is no contest, but if you need to edit photos, you will end up desaturating photos too much for print becuase OLED is just too poppy for real life.

Of course, an ipod or android tv show watcher isn't exactly there for professional applications.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
The ck10 does fine without an amp, but you will hafe to know that its signature is clean and sharp like the iPod touch. If you like warm and fuzzy, that combination isn't for you. I like it, but i love clear and detailed.

OLED - for moviers, hell, yeah, it is better than LCD. But the saturation is waaaaaay more than real life. For professional applications, it is too saturated, but for portable use especially indoors, it is fun and pops in the eyes. If you like warm and fuzzy sound, you may like OLED. Blacks are better, there is no contest, but if you need to edit photos, you will end up desaturating photos too much for print becuase OLED is just too poppy for real life.

Of course, an ipod or android tv show watcher isn't exactly there for professional applications.

! hey, I think it's your review that I read about the CK10 - I really want the clear and detailed sound
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: you think the CK100 are worth getting over the CK10, or do I need a more powerful amp for these, btw? just saw you made a review on these... are they worth the extra 100eur over the CK10? (at least ~300 is the cheapest I can find, vs a bit under 200 for the ck10)

I'm not getting a phone cause I don't really want any subscriptions or anything, and it's a bit costy.. plus I just got a new  phone, no good  for music though!
What I'm wondering about is just if there's any portable music/media player that has a higher screen resolution and a good operating system on them, like the iPod Touch 4G.

Thanks!

Nov 4, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 18
Hey mate, the CK100 and CK10 are both incredible earphones, but the CK10 is more in line with the ER4S (quite linear, though the CK10 has a bit better emphasis on the low end and less forced sparkle at the top). The CK100 has more emphasis on the upper midrange. There is a LOT of sparkle and in some respects, smear in the treble. 

Which you like is up to you. The CK100 is more accented and the CK10 more true. Both are great and both have their fans. I prefer the CK10 because of fit, flexibility, carrying case (really, that is a reason) and because it is easier to drive (55Ω for the CK10 versus like 23Ω or so for the CK100) and hisses less. It also is less accented, something I prefer, though I also really respect the CK100's accented treble. 

As for finding another player like the touch with the same capabilities, there isn't yet one available. The Samsung Galaxy something or rather has come out, but all other competitors are straight media player: music/movies/radio/DMB, but none have the same capabilities as the touch. So, it depends on your needs. If you want the same capabilities as the touch, your only option currently is the touch. I imagine a glut of Android devices will come out, but I imagine most will be rubbish for music playback. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 18
I'll probably like the CK10 then, don't wanna waste my whole paycheck haha!
So you're saying I could go without cMoy when I choose these, without losing much detail and some of that special soundstage (? if I got your reviews correct
smily_headphones1.gif
)

iPod Touch 4G + CK10 it is then, I liked what I heard with the Klipsch something from a friends Touch and I'm sure I'll like this even better.
If I wanna upgrade I might just get a more powerful portable amp perhaps

Really thanks a lot, lucky me you saw my thread with you having tested them all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Sony X1060 is really good sounding PMP with internal digital AMPs(ALO launched line out dock cable to connect with external AMPs for even more higher sound quality) and S:Flo2 has line out function(3.5mm)to pair with external portable AMPs for amazing sound quality. BTW some more PMPs are known for great sound quality are like Samsung P3, S9, J3, Philips go gear and X-Fi2.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Hey- thanks for the suggestions but I can't find any info if I can browse the web and download apps to these? I'd very much like to have an SSH client and a browser on the PMP - which is probably the main reason for the iPod Touch 4G at the moment since I can't seem to find any good competitors with android-like operating systems.

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 18
Just to clear things up for you, an amp only amplifies the signal. If the signal is bad putting it into an amp only amplifies that bad signal, not makes it better.

What I am trying to say here is you could amp it yes, but all you'd be doing is amplifying the signal, not making it better. So in this case, a 3GS headphone out signal will be better than a 4Gs signal out even with an amplifier. Unless the headphones you are planning to use require an amp (which they don't), amping it would be useless.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 18
oh I just misunderstood then, I was thinking sonically as in the power. but it can't be _bad_ right? just not as good...?
the other things that make the iPod Touch 4G better (to me) than the sound kinda makes me want it more than the 3G though.

I don't think I'll be unhappy with the setup either way, cause it's not really a budget DAC in it?

Thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back