First Sennheiser ever
Nov 11, 2005 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
I just listened to my first Sennheiser for the first time. I've been a Beyer fan for a year or two before I decided to check out the Grado sound and getting a HF-1. I really like both sound signatures and I listen to all my headphones frequently.

Today I was at the local hi fi shop getting my Denon fixed and I got to listen to a Sennheiser for the first time in my life. It was a PX100 and DAMN did it sound good! It had a big, fat nice round sound I just loved from the start. Definitely different from the Grado and Beyer sound.

So my question is, if PX100 can sound THIS good, how the hell does a HD650 sound?

I was itching for a DT880 (hey, FOTM bug I guess), but now I am just not so sure. Arg, this place is killing this poor student!

Nov 11, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 24
So.... You're seen the Sennheiser Light. You've been blessed.

My advice, however, would not be to run out and buy the nearest HD-650. Try both the HD-600 and HD-650 and buy whichever one you prefer. Now that I've (finally) heard both, I think that I may prefer the HD-600 sound myself. They're both fabulous but distinct.

Nov 11, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter

So my question is, if PX100 can sound THIS good, how the hell does a HD650 sound?

yeah, i like the px100 too. the hd580-hd650 are somehwat similar, but not as muddy and with way more fidelity (= a bit more of the same but much more refined). Amazon has the hd580's new for $150.

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 24
Very interesting. I think I need to indulge myself in a Sennheiser of some kind. I'm afraid I probably won't get the chance to listen to both the 600 and 650 because the "local" hi fi shop is a long way off from where I live. I can't afford to go there often. But they're getting some 650's soon, so I'll have to make the trip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 24
I've not heard a bad word against the lovely HD-580s ever and if you can get them new for $150, thats almost a steal.

They're almost 600s and as I've found to my cost, everything is upgradable.
blink.gif

I don't know of the other models ranges, but the 580/600/650s react very nicely to ramps up in your audio chain, i.e. fat amp or new cable...

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 24
Hell yes. I'm really looking forward to hear more Sennheiser goodness now!

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 24
Nov 12, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 24
Welcome to rich, accurate, and detailed Sennheiser sound
smily_headphones1.gif

I had been listening to mid-range closed Senn cans for nearly 8 years until I finally upgraded to my HD600, which you MIGHT prefer over the 650.

You're in luck right now because there are plenty of HD600 owners discarding these beauties on the sales forum for practically nothing (based on its quality to price ratio anyway).

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
I just listened to my first Sennheiser for the first time. I've been a Beyer fan for a year or two before I decided to check out the Grado sound and getting a HF-1. I really like both sound signatures and I listen to all my headphones frequently.

Today I was at the local hi fi shop getting my Denon fixed and I got to listen to a Sennheiser for the first time in my life. It was a PX100 and DAMN did it sound good! It had a big, fat nice round sound I just loved from the start. Definitely different from the Grado and Beyer sound.

Quite unlike a PX100 (forewarned is forearmed). Not that you wouldn't like the HD650, but just be aware the low end and high end of a headphone manufacturer are always very different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back