First "real heaphone", no dac or amp.
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Algiedi

New Head-Fier
Hello.
Im about to buy an HiFiMan HE-400 as my first "real headphone" but I dont have an amp, or a dac, etc.And I only have $400 to spend for now.I want to know if I can use it on my ipod and/or on my computer without problems until I get an amp or if I should spend those $400 in another headphone + an amp.
I dont have an offboard sound card, but, idk if that means something, my motherboard is an Asus Maximus V Gene that says it has "SupremeFX III - Supreme Sound".
Thanks.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I would personally get the best headphones you can afford (the HE-400s should be an excellent first step) and upgrade your source/amp later. Some will suggest splitting your money between phones and amp now. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I would personally get the best headphones you can afford (the HE-400s should be an excellent first step) and upgrade your source/amp later. Some will suggest splitting your money between phones and amp now. 

+1 I always recommend getting the best headphone one can then getting a nice amp/DAC.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, I'll be getting the HE-400 then. But how bad will it sound without the amp? Or that would only affect the volume?

It'll sound good without one, better with one. Won't affect volume much.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, I'll be getting the HE-400 then. But how bad will it sound without the amp? Or that would only affect the volume?

I just tried the HE-400 with a a 6gen classic iPod, 4S, and realtek motherboard.

If we are just talking about volume, it's all normal levels as you would expect with any other headphone, it starts to distort badly when you get to the "high" levels. But that's kinda unsafe anyway.

Like wolfetan44 said, doesn't really affect the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back