First Real Headphones for College Student, advice please
Nov 18, 2004 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Apothecary

Head-Fier
I am looking for some good headphones for roadtrips/airtrips/dorm use. They should be backpackable but not necessarily runable. Minimal leakage is important as is a fair amount of isolation. Unfortunately theft is also a concern, so cans that aren't worth a fortune is nice too. I also need something that I can wear for hours in a row with glasses.

I will be listening to 320 MP3s off my Zen Touch.

Here's what I'm considering:

HD280: is the bass too weak to enjoy rap/old school/hip hop?

HD25-SP: is the isolation there? Can I wear them comfortably with glasses?

Beyer DT250-80: Where can I find cheap ones? How much of a pain are they to lug around?

V6: How is the isolation? How analytical is the sound? Can I enjoy Flecktones on them? (jazzy bluegrass jam band, some vocals lots of instrumental)

A500: Are they backpackable? How is the leakage/isolation?

(edit) FC7: Are they comfortable with glasses? For long times?

(edit) D66 Eggos: How hot are they? Worn with glasses? Is the bass too weak to enjoy rap/hiphop?

Canalphones: Can I enjoy hiphop on them? I've never found comfortable earphones, will I be able to wear canalphones? Why are they so #%@#$% expensive? (I'd prefer not to go this route, because I like to share my music with my friends, but I wouldn't like to swap earwax with them.)

I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks in advance, your posts so far (in other threads) have been really helpful. Under 100 would be nice. I would prefer much less if possible.

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 26
quick suggestions:

you won't like the hd280s for rock.
i wouldn't pack any of the ones you noted in my backpack, except maybe the v6...they're all quite bulky. the a500 is a good bargain, but not the most portable.

imho, canalphones are the way to go - walking back and forth from class, listenable even when roommate is sleeping, easily packable, comfortable (for most). as far as sharing...don't your friends have headphones??

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 26
The idea is people are always asking me what I am listening to, and 99/100 times it's Flecktones or a rap group they've never heard and they ask to take a listen. I can just pass them my cans, but not my canalphones.

I don't listen to that much heavy rock. Some alternative, nirvana and such. But I don't need to be able to listen to megadeath.

Also, why wouldn't you backpack them? Just too large to fit anything else, or do you worry about damaging them?

thanks for the suggestions : )

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 26
I'll probably get kicked in the crotch for this, but my Senn HD25 SP's make great traveling companions when I don't feel like sticking something in my ears. Decent isolation and bass response, plus they fold flat for packing.

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 26
If you want isolation, the HD280 is your best bet (or so I've been told). I'm going to be buying them because of the isolation they offer, as I live in the dorms, and I listen to mostly rock and metal. The HD25 offers a more forward sound which might suit your tastes in music better, but the don't provide as much isolation as the HD280. As for the other cans you mentioned, I really have no idea, because I've never heard them or heard anything about them.

Canalphones would be your best bet for isolation, though, but I don't know how comfortable they'd be for you. I don't like the idea of jamming things into my ear canal, so I stay away from canalphones, but you might not be as much of a wuss as me.

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 26
Someone would probably kick me in the crotch for this, but I'd recommend Sony D66 eggos. Small, fold up for portability, durable and quite efficient.

Good thing I'm a girl. Crotch kicking doesn't work quite as well on me. =P

Note while I dislike the D66s, it is not for their sound! It is because I don't use anything but IEMs for portable use because normal cans mess up my hair. ^.~

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 26
You didn't tell us what format you'll be listening to. If you want it for MP3's or the other portable digital formats, the SD280pro's are out of the question cause they are very accurate reproducers.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apothecary
Oh yeah, I forgot the eggos. How do they isolate? What is their fit like with glasses?

I once had the D66s, and I wear glasses and have long hair. =P Well, they fit okay with glasses as long as you don't have those big chunky plastic ones... so like, I couldn't use them if I wanted to wear my Lisa Loeb glasses, because they are a closed-type can and that's how they isolate.

They isolate okay, but not nearly as good as my Shure E2c IEMs. But IEMs and sharing don't mix well, so we'll stay away from that. *rofl*

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 26
FWIW, I found the earpieces on the dt250 to be too small- my ears fit in them, but only just, and the pleather irritated the skin on the back of my ears where they rubbed up against it. Pretty uncomfortable. The phones themselves are rock solid though.

From what I've read around here, eggos might be just the ticket for you.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 26
Yeah, I just realized that I left out the D66 eggos and the ATH FC7.

How is the isolation on the FC7, and I have heard mention that the D66 gets hot. Any hotter than any other circumaural headphone?

PS, will edit lead post.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
You didn't tell us what format you'll be listening to. If you want it for MP3's or the other portable digital formats, the SD280pro's are out of the question cause they are very accurate reproducers.

Good point, I'll edit the top post. This will be off a Zen Touch, with 320 MP3s.

(edit) I guess I could rip my music again in another format if it would make the HD280 the best choice.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 26
The Eggos are nice headphones and them getting hot isn't too much of an issue. They only get stuffy after about an hour and I just take them off to let my ears breathe.
smily_headphones1.gif
But their isolation....not so good. No leakage though. They're too polite for the average rap/hip-pop fan though. I love them, but I'm not sure they're the best choice for you.

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 26
give the Panasonic RP-HT355 a try. they are closed cans and offer decent sound and and nice bass. you cant really do wrong with the $30 price tag. give it a listen, and return it if you dont like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back