First Real Headphones for College Student, advice please
Nov 18, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 26
A Zen Touch, eh? Well then, you might not be very satisfied with the HD280, then. In this case, I think the HD25 would be a much better choice. Based on what I've read about the HD280, I wouldn't recommend them for use with a portable without an amp, especially using compressed and lossy formats.

Dec 5, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #18 of 26
So is there any leakage out of the Sony V6's listening at normal volumes? I currently have a pair of SR80s and they are useless when my girlfriend is studying/sleeping in my bed next to my computer, so I need very little leakage and am looking at the V6's. So, how minimal is their leakage?

Dec 5, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 26
There is no leakage out of the mdr7509, the bigger cousin of the v6

If you could do canal phoens i would reccomend shure e2c

PS they go extremely well with Rage Against the Machine if that matters

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Good thing I'm a girl. Crotch kicking doesn't work quite as well on me. =P

Lol, unless they break the pubic bone O_O wow that'd hurt like crazy.

Anyway, the A500s are portable, but in no way backpackable, they aren't designed to that kind of abuse, they are delicate (compared to the D66s), and so I wouldn't even let them near my backpack. Whenever I put them in my backpack, they were in their own one, in a shoe box.

Dec 6, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 26
I say get canalphones for you, and inexpensive ($20 or so) Koss KSC-75's or KSC-50's for sharing with your friends and for rocking out when you don't need the isolation and can afford leakage.

There are several canalphones in your price range. Search for reviews of Shure E2C, Sharp MD33, the Sony EX81 and the Sony EX71. Of those I think the Shures will give you the most isolation. The Shures come with a terrific hard case, by the way, if that's a consideration for you when backpacking.

If you want conventional headphones then I think the HD25-SP is pretty decent-sounding, and reasonably comfortable, but I can't wear it for hours in a row myself. I don't wear glasses but I think it would work reasonably well with them. There's some isolation, but not nearly enough to block out the world (until you turn the volume up).

The HD280 isolates a lot more, but at the cost of squeezing your head harder. I'm tired of wearing it after a half hour or so. I doubt it would be comfortable with glasses. I don't much care for the sound, and I doubt it would excel for hip-hop.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apothecary

Beyer DT250-80: Where can I find cheap ones? How much of a pain are they to lug around?

These are great, except that my friend had them, and his Creative Nomad couldn't drive them--he ended up purchasing a CMoy do rectify this.

Quote:

V6: How is the isolation? How analytical is the sound? Can I enjoy Flecktones on them? (jazzy bluegrass jam band, some vocals lots of instrumental)

Isolation isn't very good. People won't hear your music, but you'll hear outside sounds. Very bright and very bassy.

Quote:

A500: Are they backpackable? How is the leakage/isolation?

Definitely not backpackable, but otherwise fit your needs to a T.

Quote:

(edit) D66 Eggos: How hot are they? Worn with glasses? Is the bass too weak to enjoy rap/hiphop?

Hardly what I would call audiophile level phones.

In your case, if you don't plan on buying an amp and small size is very important for cheap, I'd say either the V6 or Grado Sr60/80s, although they don't go as small as the V6. Otherwise the A500 (at a much larger size) would be the way to go, in my book.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #24 of 26
I owned the V6 and thought that the isolation was excellent personally. The sound signature isn't great, but neither is it bad for a headphone under $100. Unless you have really nice gear or have heard better, it's decent. Also, I can say that although Grados are completely open, you can use them in a crowded-but-quiet environment, like a library, without disturbing anyone. That is, assuming you listen at *reasonable* volumes, which most people probably do not. That is all.

Dec 6, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 26
I mostly need them for road trips with my team and air travel home on the holidays. Leakage is more of a concern than isolation, as long as it blocks out the road noise. If the A500 isn't backpackable, is it duffel baggable? Plane carry-onable?

Dec 13, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 26
BUMP
ok, I've narrowed down to:

HD25-sp (These seem to be a good match but people keep trashing the sound. Don't compare them to HD600s, compare them to eggos/v6.)

V6 (I've heard that they are bassy and fun, and I've heard that they are flat and boring. Thoughts)

D66 Eggo (They seem pretty popular, but I can't seem to figure out why.)

FC7 (Someone tell me why I shouldn't buy these. They seem to get good, though infrequent, reviews.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back