First Post: Just Bought an HD650
Apr 10, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #16 of 23
I think the Cute Beyond will be the bottleneck of your system.

HD650 needs a better amp.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Your amp might be just a little weak for them, but I pushed mine with a total airhead with good results.
I think you will be quite pleased.
Besides, from what you've already bought, I see another amp in your near future anyway.

Quote:

I think the Cute Beyond will be the bottleneck of your system.

HD650 needs a better amp.

you guys.... seriously... GAH! haha thx for the speculation, though. those thoughts will definitely be lingering in the back of my head for months to come.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy
i'll try to hold my tongue before speaking up about the hd650s before burning it in. my experience with burn-in is that, well, um... it didn't make that big of a difference with the cans that i own. is the change THAT drastic? i guess i'll wait and see...

I didn't hear any burn in at all with my pair; I wouldn't worry about it. Just listen and enjoy =D

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 23
See if you can listen to them in 24 hour intervals... check back each day. My pair changed dramatically in that time, and I often found myself listening to a totally different headphone from day to day. Remember during burn in that the changes can sometimes catch you off-gaurd. At one point, my RS1 sounded like total crap, and I think my HD650 had a dark period too. Those problems evened out though, and I can't find any trace of the things I didn't like in them now.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I hope you love 'em. If not, though, throw them on the FS and follow this small guide:

1. True/false: I like the HD650's bass, but there was too much of it! However, everything else about it sounded great.

If true, check out the AKG K701. If false, continue.

2. True/false: I really wish there were more treble in the HD650, and less bass.

If true, check out the Beyer DT-880. If false, continue.

3. True/false: These things are veiled! I want a more up-front, in-your-face, punchy sound with articulate treble and more slam!

If true, check out the Grado SR-325i. If false, continue.

4. True/false: screw these things, I just inherited $20,000,000 from my great uncle!

If true, buy an Orpheus, an airplane, and hire lots of really attractive flight attendants to change your CDs.

Aside from the humor, it looks too good to be true. Things are not that easy, i.e. bass/treble levels, and degree of forwardness can't suffice in the least to evaluate and describe a headphone's sound.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 23
who knows... maybe i will tell a difference or maybe i won't. i'm thinking that cuz i'm getting a b-stock 'phone, there is a possibility that it might already have some burn-in time on them.

whatevs, i don't wanna get into the whole burn-in debate, but i'll keep whatever you guys wrote in mind. i'm just going to try to enjoy the headphones when they arrive.

and yea, andrea, i think there are some things about the sound headphones produce that words can't describe. if we had words for every acoustic sensation and stimulus, we'll have to make entirely new language. to me, this adds an air of mystery about headphones which fascinates me...

BUT listening to headphones first-hand is definitely better than just relying on visceral accounts, although it is a good idea to do some research.

much love to the head-fi community!

Apr 10, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Aside from the humor, it looks too good to be true. Things are not that easy, i.e. bass/treble levels, and degree of forwardness can't suffice in the least to evaluate and describe a headphone's sound.

I don't ascribe to any sort of headphone mysticism, and I think that's a pretty good chart to cover the basics
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back