First Post: Just Bought an HD650
Apr 10, 2006 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

thislittlepiggy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around these forums for about a couple months and learning so much about headphones. so far, I already bought an A900, Ksc75, D66sl (I found this forum while looking up these headphones!), Fubar II DAC, and Cute Beyond amp.
evil_smiley.gif

I just ordered an HD650 (b-stock) from this guy on ebay, and I was wondering if they have good synergy with my Fubar II and Cute Beyond. I'd be happy for your input/insight.

Apr 10, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 23
Jeez! Nice pre-post collection. I'd say sorry about your wallet, but it sounds like it's already rather sorry!

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 23
I hope you love 'em. If not, though, throw them on the FS and follow this small guide:

1. True/false: I like the HD650's bass, but there was too much of it! However, everything else about it sounded great.

If true, check out the AKG K701. If false, continue.

2. True/false: I really wish there were more treble in the HD650, and less bass.

If true, check out the Beyer DT-880. If false, continue.

3. True/false: These things are veiled! I want a more up-front, in-your-face, punchy sound with articulate treble and more slam!

If true, check out the Grado SR-325i. If false, continue.

4. True/false: screw these things, I just inherited $20,000,000 from my great uncle!

If true, buy an Orpheus, an airplane, and hire lots of really attractive flight attendants to change your CDs.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I hope you love 'em. If not, though, throw them on the FS and follow this small guide:

1. True/false: I like the HD650's bass, but there was too much of it! However, everything else about it sounded great.

2. True/false: I really wish there were more treble in the HD650, and less bass.

3. True/false: These things are veiled! I want a more up-front, in-your-face, punchy sound with articulate treble and more slam!

4. True/false: screw these things, I just inherited $20,000,000 from my great uncle!

If true, buy an Orpheus, an airplane, and hire lots of really attractive flight attendants to change your CDs.

LOL...there truly is a lot of wisdom infused in NotJeffBuckley's humorous commentary though. Agree on all of the above!

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

haha, i choose.... option 4! =)

yeah, right, but thx for taking the time to make a noobie dichotomous key! i'm just hoping the hd650s were more like my a900. the only thing that bothered me about the a900s was the the bass was kinda "flabby", sloppy, even.

i'm still wondering whether or not the cute beyond is sufficient enough to power the hd650s, as i've only found one person that's tried it after searching the forums. he didn't write much about it though. i've heard that hd650s sound bad with bad equipment, and i think the cute beyond and fubar II are only entry level equipment. that makes me a little worried...

btw, anyone have any experience with sennheiser b-stock? info on this is a little sparse, but all the experiences i've read are positive. i hope mine will be similar!

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy
haha, i choose.... option 4! =)

yeah, right, but thx for taking the time to make a noobie dichotomous key! i'm just hoping the hd650s were more like my a900. the only thing that bothered me about the a900s was the the bass was kinda "flabby", sloppy, even.

i'm still wondering whether or not the cute beyond is sufficient enough to power the hd650s, as i've only found one person that's tried it after searching the forums. he didn't write much about it though. i've heard that hd650s sound bad with bad equipment, and i think the cute beyond and fubar II are only entry level equipment. that makes me a little worried...

btw, anyone have any experience with sennheiser b-stock? info on this is a little sparse, but all the experiences i've read are positive. i hope mine will be similar!

I'll go ahead and break custom. The HD650 don't need $2000 worth of listening gear to sound great; if they did, I'd have sold mine immediately and never looked back. I run them out of a M-Audio sound card's rear DAC (which, admittedly, is a high quality DAC and not to be overlooked) through a Shellbrook Mini-Moy and they sound awesome.

You're in luck, too; I also own the A900, and I would say that the HD650 have similar bass quantity with far superior bass quality. The A900's bass, while very powerful, does sometimes sound like you're throwing pancakes at city dumpsters - boomy and resonant, maybe even a little echo in there! The HD650, by contrast, is well controlled and tight.

Apr 10, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

You're in luck, too; I also own the A900, and I would say that the HD650 have similar bass quantity with far superior bass quality. The A900's bass, while very powerful, does sometimes sound like you're throwing pancakes at city dumpsters - boomy and resonant, maybe even a little echo in there! The HD650, by contrast, is well controlled and tight.

woohoo! looks like i'm gonna be happy w/ my hd650s. thx there, jeff, i mean... not-jeff. whatever.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 23
Congrats on the beefy first purchase
basshead.gif
! From my experience with the 650s, I would suggest that you reserve all judgment on them before burning them in a LONG time. Depending on what you have heard previously, your impressions could range from impressed to disappointed at first, but after listening to mine for about 100 hrs, everything seemed to have changed noticably for the better. Now, everything else sounds like crap.

Apr 10, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Now, everything else sounds like crap.

uh-oh... i guess you can expect some of the stuff i already have to go up for sale soon. =)

i'll try to hold my tongue before speaking up about the hd650s before burning it in. my experience with burn-in is that, well, um... it didn't make that big of a difference with the cans that i own. is the change THAT drastic? i guess i'll wait and see...

with 2 papers due, a midterm, a presentation, and new headphones to play w/, this'll be an exciting week!

to sleepless nights and cheap, instant coffee!

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thislittlepiggy
uh-oh... i guess you can expect some of the stuff i already have to go up for sale soon. =)

i'll try to hold my tongue before speaking up about the hd650s before burning it in. my experience with burn-in is that, well, um... it didn't make that big of a difference with the cans that i own. is the change THAT drastic? i guess i'll wait and see...

with 2 papers due, a midterm, a presentation, and new headphones to play w/, this'll be an exciting week!

to sleepless nights and cheap, instant coffee!

Burn-in didn't do anything to my headphones after the first ten minutes, but there was some small noticable change in sound quality during that time. Of course, the first song I played was Opeth - Serenity Painted Death, so I flexed them pretty good.

Apr 10, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 23
thislittlepiggy,
Welcome!
Sorry, can't help you out on the b-stock question.
As mentioned above, give them plenty of burn in time.
My 580's took around 90 hours of intensive playing before they really bloomed. The 600's I picked up used at a junk shop for fifty dollars
580smile.gif
, so I don't know on them.
Your amp might be just a little weak for them, but I pushed mine with a total airhead with good results.
I think you will be quite pleased.
Besides, from what you've already bought, I see another amp in your near future anyway.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy,
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back