First portable rig.
Dec 17, 2009 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Random-

New Head-Fier
Hey, im trying to decide what iems to get, my budget is ~$150.
It will be using a new 160gig ipod classic, so my first concern is whether or not to use cheap(er) iems, and get a LOD + cheap amp, or to spend the entire budget on just the headphones. I've been looking at re0 and pl50s, with a fiio e5, or the new e1 lod, or even a cmoy.
I listen to a lot of different stuff, electronic, house, trance, rock, even some classical, I enjoy bass, but more quality over quantity.
Help would be appreciated.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 14
My recommendation is spend quite a bit on the headphone. That is the most direct source of improvement for you. You can work on things like an amp later, but getting a good pair of IEMs will dramatically help you.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My recommendation is spend quite a bit on the headphone. That is the most direct source of improvement for you. You can work on things like an amp later, but getting a good pair of IEMs will dramatically help you.

Agreed. You can always add a good amp later, but you'll get the most from a good pair of earphones. You can get a FiiO E5 for $20 and decide to move up later. Check the For Sale forums hear.

-Pony

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 14
Yet another advocate of spending the money on better IEMs. A good set of IEMs unamped will still sound far better than a mediocre set of IEMs with a cheap amp, and there's always the option of saving up some cash for a decent amp in the future.

The one exception to this rule just might be the RE0, which get rave reviews around here (I can't comment from personal experience because I've never heard them). They're only $79 right now, but the general opinion seems to be that their sound is on par with, if not better than, other IEMs that are significantly more expensive. You could then put the remaining money away and save up for a decent amp like the iBasso T3, which also gets some pretty stellar reviews for the price.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Well the re0 is what is leaning towards now, and I should probably save for an amp, however are there any suggestions on spending more on the headphones? similar to the RE0's sound but better?

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 14
I haven't heard the RE0, but I have heard the UE700. At 230 dollars, they were decent, but a little to expensive. Now they are around 150 dollars, and I think they are good for the price. They are comfortable and small. They have good bass, low lows, and detailed hows. Their midrange is a little weak, but thats when compared to higher end IEM's.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 14
The RE0's are great for the current price, but I can only stand listening to them with crossfeed enabled (via RockBox). I used them extensively for a couple of weeks while my W3s were out for replacement from Westone. It was great to get my W3s back. If you have the budget, you may want to consider the Westone 2.

I also find the SCL4 more enjoyable than the RE0s. You may want to consider the new version of them - SE310, which can be found for around $150.

-Pony

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 14
i wonder if the re0 would be good for you considering the music you listen to. i'm pretty certain that it's a little lacking in bass, although that is more based on what i've read. i agree with pouncepony, you may want to consider the new westone 2 of you can stretch your budget a bit.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 14
I personally think the Fiio E5 is somewhat a waste of unnecessary money, though it's cheap, it doesn't do a whole lot. But, if $20 isn't a lot, go for it. But, there are better amps than the Fiio.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find the SCL4 more enjoyable than the RE0s. You may want to consider the new version of them - SE310, which can be found for around $150.

-Pony

I have never heard the RE0, but I can vouch for the SE310 being a great choice for $150.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 14
I own both the RE0 and TF10 and after extensive listening and A/Bing, i've concluded hands down that i like the RE0s much better.

I actually wanted to and was expecting the TF10s to be better due to the higher price tag, but no matter how much I tried to convince myself, the RE0s still outshined the TF10s.

Save yourself $100 and get the RE0s.

The TF10s were just too harsh in the highs and although there was more bass quantity, it just wasn't as tight and punchy as the RE0 bass. The highs (and to some extent the mids) on the TF10 are just more upfront and i guess "fun" sounding, but it was too much for me. The sibilance and harshness was unbearable at times.

If you like bass though, the TF10s might fit your taste more, they're in no way a bad IEM, just not what I personally prefer.

EDIT: If you perform the foam mod on the RE0s, it actually sounds quite similar to the TF10. The mids and highs are more upfront and "fun". Bass isn't affected though.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the RE0 and TF10 and after extensive listening and A/Bing, i've concluded hands down that i like the RE0s much better.

I actually wanted to and was expecting the TF10s to be better due to the higher price tag, but no matter how much I tried to convince myself, the RE0s still outshined the TF10s.

Price to performance ratio isn't always true, meaning the more expensive the better it "should" be. I like my RE0 a lot as well and don't really see the "need" to replace them, though I am interested in several other IEMs (argh)! Of course, others may say differently regarding the RE0 vs TF10.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 14
X10.. get the X10

and the Fiio E1 is a cool little gadget. I'd get that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back