First pair of headphones.....which ones?
Dec 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mitan14

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking to buy headphones for both studio monitoring and some DJing. There are some qualities the headphones MUST have and I am out of options with which make-model to buy. Criteria:

a) Circumaural earcups (supraaural are painful after a while)
b) Decent bass response (minimum 10hz)
c) Swivel pivot so one earcup rotates to sit behind your ear.

The models I have found so far that are slightly related.

Sennheiser HD 205:
+ cheap, swivel pivot
-supraaural cup

Sennheiser HD 215:
+ swivel pivot, circumaural cup
-appaling bass

Sennheiser HD 25-C II:
+good sound, swivel pivot
-over budget, supraaural cup

Technics RP-DJ1200:
+good sound, nice design, swivel pivot
-supraaural cup

Beyerdynamic DJX-1:
+circumaural cup, swivel pivot
-no idea how good the sound is

Could you please give me some advice, or if you know of any other models that meet a similar spec then please let me know.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 9
If you're willing to go above $100, the Audio Technica M50s are supposed to be very good for the things you want these headphones to do.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 9
You can check ultrasone dj1 pro or ortofon O one which use ultrasone drivers with more balanced sound.
There is shure srh 840 or akg 181 dj but for live dj sets hd 25 1 is the king IMO !

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 9
ALL DJ headphones put pressure on your head and thus are uncomfortable after a while. When i was searching for DJ headphones the best thing i did was going to a store and try different models. I was initially thinking of buying come over ear Technics (the rp-dj1200's) but in the end went for the Senn HD25-II, they simply had the best comfort, sound (but haven't tried the ultrasone DJ1pro's from which i have heard a lot of positive things on DJ forums in terms of sound quality) and felt really robust.

The bottom line is, because DJ headphones clamp on your head (because they shouldn't fall of when moving a lot) the "try for yourself" part is a lot more important in terms of comfort then with hifi headphones that don't clamp.

Oh and avoid the Sony MDR V700 DJ's because they don't last much longer then a year of regular use.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies. I have heard bad things about Sony V700 so i will deinitately stay away from those. Unfortunately there are no shops that sell quality music equipment in the midlands UK where i live, otherwise i'd love to go and test some out. For the moment i am relying on online reviews and feedback, and of course you guys
wink.gif

I think the thing that has intrigued me the most about the design of DJing headphones is this ability to use one phone from time to time, so that you have another free to do mixing or listen to other samples.

See the Sennheiser HD 205 which has this joint on the headband to maneuver the earcup up and behind your ear (approx 90 degrees), not just flip around so the back of the earcup is resting against your ear.

However this feature is not so common in headphones i have searched.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitan14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b) Decent bass response (minimum 10hz)

I can't hear 30Hz. Good luck with that
tongue.gif

On a serious note I'll echo the SRH440 and the M50. I have the SRH840 and think it's great for a closed phone. They have a near perfect level of bass for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back