First pair of headphones? (~100 USD budget)
Jun 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sheepyw0lf

New Head-Fier
For the past 5 years or so, I've owned a Razer Megalodon headset. I no longer do gaming and I don't really speak with people on voice software either. I do listen to a lot of music though!
So I'd like my first pair of proper headphones, but have no idea where to start. My current headset is pretty **** sound quality wise, so I suppose anything beats them.
I do have a budget of around 100 USD, so if you could make suggestions in that price range or below, that'd be very great and would spare all of us some time. :)
I listen mostly to psychedelic trance music, but may also include other types of electronic music.

I hope you can help me out! :)
Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: I have fairly large ears.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 18
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-HD-598-Headband-Headphones-Brown-Burl-Wood-Accents-/171364841972?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item27e623f9f4

Start bidding.  3 hours left.  For $100, a HD598 as your first headphone beyond a gaming headset?  It's a great headphone, lively, fun, with Sennheiser signature easy listening sound.

I'm a big fan of the headphones trusted by professionals, people who listen to sound and music rather than their gear.  Anything from Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Audio Technica and Shure should be good.  I don't trust any of the other headphone companies that don't have a good reputation outside of Head-Fi, WhatHiFi or any other source that bases their opinion by $$$.  

Listen to some headphones, I find AKG, Senn and AT for example have different sounds.  Never listened to Beyerdynamic much beyond the DT770, so couldn't tell you much about them.  I personally like AKG and Sennheiser for neutral sounding open air headphones.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 18
Well, just keeping looking on Ebay, Head-Fi for sale section.  Head-Fi has a nice sale system with feedback.  And this forum is filled by people who listen to gear, spend enormous amount of time and money switching gears constantly and they often sell gear after only owning it for short while, in great condition with box, everything intact.  And luckily the well known headphones are often for sale since gear listeners want to hear the headphones that get the most feedback and discussions just out of curiosity often.

Probably don't want to hear this, but stretch your budget a bit?  If I was you, I'd go for something on the more neutral side, or headphone that can play any music well, that doesn't have too drastic emphasis on bass or treble.

Sennheiser HD598
Beyerdynamic DT880
AKG K612/K601

That's what I would get if I was in your position.  Even if I had no opportunity to audition them.  Otherwise I'd just go to Best Buy and just get whatever sounds good from their headphone display.  

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 18
I could stretch my budget.. But then I'd have to stick with this Razer Megalodon for at least another month, which I can't stand :D The left side is making scratchy noises when anything high pitched is played. I dropped it too many times through the years.
My budget is fairly tight you see. Especially this coming month, as I'll be going on vacation.

Also, I live in a fairly small town in Europe. There are no good headphones you can try out around here.

Just checked the headphones u wrote down. They're all like twice my budget :D

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 18
You did't say where you would be using your headphones at, or whether you are looking for something open back or closed. Will they be for portable use? Home listening? Or maybe you want a pair you can use for both?

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 18
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=K550-Z

$129 for the AKG K550.  I think they are quite good for that price.  It is refurbished.  The treble is bit sharp, but they sound great from both my desktop amp and from my phone.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 18
  You did't say where you would be using your headphones at, or whether you are looking for something open back or closed. Will they be for portable use? Home listening? Or maybe you want a pair you can use for both?

I will solely use them at home, plugged into my computer.
My stepfather goes pretty early to bed, so some closed headphones would probably be preffered, even though it may not be the best quality.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 18
Oh open air headphones aren't so noisy they would wake someone up unless your computer is in your parent's bedroom?

Anyway, here is a suggestion.  Contact Razerdog.  Tell them you're from head-fi looking for headphones around $100 and see what they got based on what you are looking for.  They may have something on sale with a discount fitting your budget and your wants.  They may have something B-stock, open box item etc, at an incredible price.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 18
  Oh open air headphones aren't so noisy they would wake someone up unless your computer is in your parent's bedroom?

Anyway, here is a suggestion.  Contact Razerdog.  Tell them you're from head-fi looking for headphones around $100 and see what they got based on what you are looking for.  They may have something on sale with a discount fitting your budget and your wants.  They may have something B-stock, open box item etc, at an incredible price.

Haha. Quoted the wrong guy. 
tongue_smile.gif
 My bad.

Jun 29, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 18
  I will solely use them at home, plugged into my computer.
My stepfather goes pretty early to bed, so some closed headphones would probably be preffered, even though it may not be the best quality.

I like the Razordog idea. Brian is a cool guy to deal with and responds to messages very quickly. The ATH M50 could be good for you. There's actually a pair for sale in our classifieds that have been modded (very professionally) to have a detachable cable and the guy (cCasper TFG) also installed even more comfortable HM5 ear pads on em. Heres the link if you like

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724184/ath-m50-with-detachable-locking-mini-xlr-3-5mm-cable-and-brand-new-hm5-pads

Just shoot him a PM and tell him you want em (if you do). He's a real cool guy and I've dealt with (and am still currently dealing with, he's modding my DT770 Premium right now) him.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 18
i got the q701 and still waiting for it to come, but from the reviews ive seen, it seems to be an awesome headphone for music and gaming. oh and its a Open back headphone so sound will leak out.
i got for $195 from Amazon :)

and suppose if you want budget headphones the ath m50x would be a good choice as i also almost picked that before settling for the AKG Q701 :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 18
  I like the Razordog idea. Brian is a cool guy to deal with and responds to messages very quickly. The ATH M50 could be good for you. There's actually a pair for sale in our classifieds that have been modded (very professionally) to have a detachable cable and the guy (cCasper TFG) also installed even more comfortable HM5 ear pads on em. Heres the link if you like

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724184/ath-m50-with-detachable-locking-mini-xlr-3-5mm-cable-and-brand-new-hm5-pads

Just shoot him a PM and tell him you want em (if you do). He's a real cool guy and I've dealt with (and am still currently dealing with, he's modding my DT770 Premium right now) him.

Thank you very much everyone for your inputs!
I ended up buying the ATH-M50's from cCasper TFG today :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 18
  Thank you very much everyone for your inputs!
I ended up buying the ATH-M50's from cCasper TFG today :)

No problem man! He's a good guy! Hope the transaction went well! And I hope you like the cans man. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back