First Look - Rika Bamboo Headphones
Aug 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

postrock

100+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]Introduction[/size]

[size=medium]Rika is a brand new Seattle-based audio company offering affordable wooden headphones. The company is in the start-up phase right now and is hopeful to reach their funding goal through Kickstarter, a community-based project funding website. They hope to go into full production in October. They will be offering three different models: the Olympia (an IEM made of Walnut), the Shasta (a mid-sized supra-aural made of Cherry), and the one I will be reviewing here – the Teton (a slightly larger supra-aural made of Bamboo). Please visit both of these links to learn more about Rika headphones:[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.rikaheadphones.com/[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rikaheadphones/rika-headphones-wood-and-bamboo-headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Rika Teton Bamboo Headphones[/size]

[size=medium]Manufacturers Specifications[/size]
[size=medium]MSRP: $55.00[/size]
[size=medium]Type: Closed[/size]
[size=medium]Driver Unit: 40mm[/size]
[size=medium]Impedance: 32 ohm[/size]
[size=medium]Sensitivity: 113 db[/size]
[size=medium]Frequency Range: 18-22000 Hz[/size]
[size=medium]Cord Length: approx.  1m[/size]
[size=medium]Weight: n/a[/size]

[size=medium]Design[/size]
[size=medium]The Teton is stylish and understated.  The bamboo shells are definitely eye-catching and the black plastic headband is fully adjustable. The rounded rectangular earpads cover almost all of the ear. Isolation is only fair for a mid-sized headphone, but on par with most competitors. One unique feature is the detachable split-cable design. Not only can the cable be replaced if damaged but this also allows for custom cable modifications for the DIY types. Production models will feature a mic and pause/play button. Overall the Teton is very unique looking and it’s refreshing to see new choices of materials.  [/size]

[size=medium]Build Quality[/size]
[size=medium]Fit and finish are very good. The bamboo earcups are well-crafted and coated in a glossy finish and adorned with the Rika logo. The pleather earpads are of a decent thickness and the material is above average. The cable is a good quality OFC rubber-coated split cable that is not overly thick but has very little memory character and is tangle-free. The three plugs are gold-plated as are the jacks in each of the earcups. The plugs are also unique in that they are covered with real wood instead of plastic. [/size]

[size=medium]Comfort [/size]
[size=medium]The Tetons are very comfortable to wear for long periods with no discomfort. Clamping pressure is quite light, which is a factor in the comfort level but the only downside to this is that they are prone to move around a little bit if used outdoors or for exercising.  The earpads are soft and the design of the headband allows them to pivot in all directions, ensuring a good fit for many different head sizes. [/size]

[size=medium]Sound Quality[/size]

[size=medium]Detail[/size]
[size=medium]The Teton is an admirably neutral sounding headphone and does a nice job of presenting detail and imaging.  [/size]
[size=medium]Soundstage[/size]
[size=medium]The soundstage is quite good for the price point. There is very good instrument separation and the width is good but it is somewhat lacking in depth and height. [/size]
[size=medium]High Frequency[/size]
[size=medium]The highs are smooth and pleasant sounding. There is a slight roll-off at the very top but it balances well with the rest of the sound signature. [/size]
[size=medium]Upper Midrange[/size]
[size=medium]Upper mids are quite lush and satisfying. [/size]
[size=medium]Lower Midrange[/size]
[size=medium]The lower midrange is also very well presented although it is very slightly recessed. Vocals and instruments such as guitars and keyboards sound very nice.[/size]
[size=medium]Low Frequency[/size]
[size=medium]Many listeners will love the fact the Rika chose not to over-extend the bass as is so common these days in portable headphones. The 40mm drivers are well-tuned to deliver tight and punchy bass without any boominess or bloating. For those who can live without that, these are more than adequate for many kinds of music. [/size]

[size=medium]Value[/size]
[size=medium]Rika really has no direct competition offering wooden headphones at these prices, so it easy to say that these offer plenty of enjoyment for the money. The only similar model I’ve seen on the market is the Fischer Audio Oldskool 33 1/3, which had had very good reviews but is twice the cost.[/size]

[size=medium]Summary[/size]
[size=medium]The Rika Teton is very strong offering for a brand new company. All of their headphones are very appealing and unique and have very good sound quality to back up the nice looks. There is always room in the market for a unique products and I hope they are successful in their venture. If this headphone were included in my recent roundup of 16 different portables it would have ranked near the top. [/size]

[size=medium]Pros[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Engaging, polished sound while still fairly neutral[/size]
  2. [size=medium]Detachable cable[/size]
  3. [size=medium]Very comfortable[/size]

[size=medium]Cons[/size]
  1. [size=medium]Fit can be a bit loose for activity-oriented listening[/size]

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 16
Nice casing for DIY'ers 
biggrin.gif

Just replace the drivers with that of Fostex T50RP and you are good to go.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 16
Aug 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 16
Or try the headphone first before writing off it's drivers :wink:

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for reviewing these! I just saw these on kickstarter the other day.

What would you say the sound quality is comparable to, for example the AKG K450's?

When you mention the isolation being fair is there any other headphone you could compare it being similar to as well?

Again great writeup!

Aug 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Or try the headphone first before writing off it's drivers
wink.gif

This. If these are eSmooth OEM's, they'll probably be able to punch above their weight.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for reviewing these! I just saw these on kickstarter the other day.

What would you say the sound quality is comparable to, for example the AKG K450's?

When you mention the isolation being fair is there any other headphone you could compare it being similar to as well?

Again great writeup!

Thanks, I can only compare it to the K430 since I have never heard the K450. They are quite similar in many aspects but I would say the Rika is a bit smoother and more relaxed sounding. My only complaint about the K430 is that it is not very comfortable. I reviewed it in my last roundup review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614729/compact-portable-headphone-roundup-16-phones-including-portapro-px-100-ii-v-jays-tracks-k430-and-more

I probably would have ranked the Rika Teton slightly ahead of the AKG. As far as isolation, it is similar to something like the A-T FC700A or Pioneer SE MJ-21 or Denon AH-P372. It doesn't exactly leak out a lot of sound but you can hear a lot of what's going on around you.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #11 of 16
I might have to try the headphones and the IEM's look really nice but I doubt the sound as good as any of my others though.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I'm a little surprised anyone gets so excited about wood.  Seems like more of a novelty than an important factor.

Depending on the type of wood, it can have excellent damping properties compared to low-quality plastic commonly used on cheap headphones.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Depending on the type of wood, it can have excellent damping properties compared to low-quality plastic commonly used on cheap headphones.

True but with the bamboo headphones I think its more form over function and its a really nice form:)

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

True but with the bamboo headphones I think its more form over function and its a really nice form:)

It depends, I mean, the one version of the LCD2 uses bamboo. It's of much nicer quality and properly damped, but discounting bamboo altogether isn't giving it enough credit. I'd assume the porousness of it isn't the best thing for the backwaves though. But the main issue concerning bamboo is the bass, and if the bass isn't non-existent, I guess bamboo isn't the worst choice of materials. It's more interesting than plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back