First listening impressions/reviews of Q1 2009 Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy
Mar 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #76 of 131
Wow, the blue Caliente is beautiful!

I'm so glad I read Skylab's review and bought me one. Only 10 hours in so far, but I have to say the KICAS Caliente is truly a marvel for the price. IMO the performance to price ratio is off the charts even this early in.

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #77 of 131
Waiting for pics on red Caliente. going to see if I can find some flamestripes for it.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #78 of 131
[size=xx-small][offtopic]
uh oh, something is terribly wrong with my hd650s... I noticed this a while ago, but assumed it was only temporary... sounds like something is flopping in the right driver when I play a clean solitary bass signal...uhg....

This is the bass sound I'm playing, although, it's obviously is not only when I play this file...

[/gripe][/size]

[size=xx-small]EDIT: FIXED!!! The culprit was the quarter sized foam cover on the driver's outside; I just sort of tightened it by pulling it from all angles very gently with tweezers, and the flopping disappeared. Sorry for the thread distraction, but the issue made me a bit insane. All better now. Carry on.
[/offtopic][/size]

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #79 of 131
Why do you post it in here?

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #81 of 131
I have over 70 hours on my Caliente and currently listening to some Beethoven with my K701s. This little amp really is impressive. The music remains clear and detailed even during complex passages. Nice instrument placement and soundstaging. The Caliente also breathes the right amount of warmth into the AKGs which, I have found, when paired with the right amp is a wonderful 'phone for classical music (one of the reasons I opted for the Caliente model).

Paired with my iMod, the Caliente is making for a very nice secondary unit on my desk. Fits the bill when I don't want to fire up my reference unit. Absolutely love the blackground - nothing but sweet music.

Kudos to Purity Audio. I think they've done a quite a nice job in creating a terrific little amp more than fairly priced. I look forward to extended listening sessions as the amp gains more hours and continues to mature. Count me as one very satisfied customer!

Mar 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #82 of 131
first of all, sorry for my bud english. Amazing customer service, every email, just answered in a few minutes. Caliente only 25 h burning but it
sound just amazing, very enhaced sound comparing to heed canamp
owed beford.

Very thank to Oriel for his customer servce.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #83 of 131
I have to post a follow up to my mini review.

I queued up Meat Beat Manifesto's Hellfire and I've never heard K701s with this much bass weight! I was quite surprised. I've always claimed that if you pair the right amp with the K701s they are no longer bass light as many state. The Caliente proves my point and then some. Oh... no, I do not employ any equalizing - never do. I select equipment to suit my listening preferences rather than employ eq'ing.

I also listened to Cowboy Junkies' Just Want To See. Right amount of weight to the song and Margo's voice was beautiful. I've fallen in love with my K701s all over again.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #84 of 131
I just found this thread tonight, and I'm very glad that members of the new group of Purity Audio KICAS and Caliente owners are enjoying the amp as much as those of us who bought the first batch in 2008. It is still my favorite amp with the HD650 and now for my new HFI-780. The skillful control with which the Caliente presents bass to the phones enables me to fully enjoy the abundance of bass, as well as the lovely illumination of the highs, of which the HFI-780 is capable.

And, believe it or not, as each mark of another 100 hours of use is reached, the sound using the Purity Audio amp continues to grow and blossom into its fullness. Well, draw closer to your favorite music through your trustiest phones using the fine listening instrument you've just purchased and received. I know I still do.

Mar 28, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #85 of 131
I find this little amp a gem. When I paird the Caliente with the AKG 701s I realy started to enjoy them. I agree with sbulacks statment about breakin I have been using my amp since December and its sound has improved with time.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #86 of 131
Anyone who has ordered & received the "regular" K.I.C.A.S. and wish to post their initial impressions?
regular_smile .gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #87 of 131
I hope my impressions of the WooAudio6 are this positive. I would have bought the Purity Audio Caliente if it was available when I started looking for an amp.

If I ever think about getting a very well-performing solid state to go with the WA6's musical harmonic distortion, it'll probably be the Caliente. The WA6 might be all I'll want, though - or at least so for the next couple of years. I'm not yet an amp person (the WA6 will be my first desktop amp and amp costing over $120). I'm relatively insane with headphones, though (see sig, and DT770 Pro 80 ohm is on the way for when I want heavy bass).

edited to add: Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up of more impressions.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #88 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope my impressions of the WooAudio6 are this positive. I would have bought the Purity Audio Caliente if it was available when I started looking for an amp.

If I ever think about getting a very well-performing solid state to go with the WA6's musical harmonic distortion, it'll probably be the Caliente. The WA6 might be all I'll want, though - or at least so for the next couple of years. I'm not yet an amp person (the WA6 will be my first desktop amp and amp costing over $120). I'm relatively insane with headphones, though (see sig, and DT770 Pro 80 ohm is on the way for when I want heavy bass).

edited to add: Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up of more impressions.

Ditto...

... or... maybe the Solo SRG... but we'll see.

I may just try one of these "gems" - just to see.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #89 of 131
I have no life... sitting and listening to different headphones and hit F5 on this thread all the time lol.

How is it going with the pics Greymoor
smily_headphones1.gif

There is some caliente vs SRG etc lying dormant may want to revive those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back