First listening impressions/reviews of Q1 2009 Purity Audio Kicas and Caliente Group buy
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #62 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by tescosamoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some strange reason i cannot see the pictures i uploaded... can anyone else see them?

i couldn't see them either

but you should be able to them now
Quote:

Originally Posted by tescosamoa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMGP0486.jpg

IMGP0495.jpg

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #63 of 131
Mar 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #64 of 131
Well my amp arrived today, and like everyone else I am floored by the difference in sound. I thought my Apogee Duet was driving my HD600's pretty well, but after hearing them connected to the Caliente they sound like different headphones!

I can't wait until 100hrs has passed!!

Here are the promised pics. I tried my best, but my pics just can't do the beautiful Blue justice!

DSC_1473.jpg

DSC_1475.jpg

DSC_1477.jpg

DSC_1480.jpg

DSC_1476.jpg

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #65 of 131
Wow, the blue and the red are stunning pieces. Nice job Bob and greymoor on your selections.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #66 of 131
I'm actually kinda' wishing I got the blue now. It's a very nice look.

Earlier today I was listening to music as usual, and I caught myself waiting for certain parts of songs to muddy up or bass hits to "thud" instead of hit, which is what had always happened before. The K.I.C.A.S. was able to handle these trouble passages no sweat. Any and all complaints I have with sound reproduction lie with the headphone itself (I find myself wanting slightly more forward mids occasionally) and not with the K.I.C.A.S.'s abilities. I'm at probably 18-20 hours now and imagining it only gets better.

L3000.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #67 of 131
wow, I love the red, blue and silver. Here's my black Caliente, looks like all the others:

Caliente01.jpg

I'm listening to 'United Abominations' and my HD650 sounds AWESOME!!!
I don’t care what other people say, this headphone is NOT slow or unsuitable for metal, I think rock fans will be pleased with the Caliente-HD650 combo, I know I am.
I’m hearing beautiful guitars, full rhythm guitars and bass, snappy drums and clear strong vocals. I think the highs could be extended just a tad, I’m waiting to see if burn in opens them up a little bit more. So far I’m very pleased and I’m certain this is an upgrade over my Perreaux SX-1.

Good news for Grado fans, my SR225 sounds really good with the Caliente as well, lower guitars and bass are a little more present now, same great mid guitars and airy feeling, this is the fullest I’ve ever heard my Grados sound.
It still sounds crunchy but more chunky.
L3000.gif

I’m keeping the volume pot between 8 and 10 for the Grados and 9-11 for the Senns, anything more is too loud for me. I have no channel imbalance even at low volumes and I like the size and feel of the knob.

Overall I’m very happy with this amp, it was a good purchase for me and I don’t see myself upgrading anything for a long time.
beyersmile.png

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #68 of 131
That blue is SUPER SHARP looking!

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #69 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don’t care what other people say, this headphone is NOT slow or unsuitable for metal, I think rock fans will be pleased with the Caliente-HD650 combo, I know I am.

Amen sista... I briefly listened to Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf last night -- among others -- and I'd have to say the crunch was palpable; I perceived a sharp, warmly defined, gritty sound, rather than the stereotypical grado fan boy hd650 criticism of dull, recessed mids -- not that I have anything against grado or fanboys...just sayin'

Still have them burning in with a variety of sounds/noise... i'll probably let it continue for the rest of the week, see what happens -- I'm hoping for just a little more depth/soundstage, but if not, I can accept it, considering the value.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #70 of 131
^ yeah, the 650 is a beautiful headphone. I listen to a lot of genres and this is the best all rounder I've tried.
Hey Flage, I keep checking the first post to see if you've updated your review, can't wait to see what you have to say
happy_face1.gif

I'm on my third day of burn in, I'll have 100 hours by friday, but some people reported hearing changes after 300 hours, is it possible it'll sound better than this?
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #71 of 131
Wow that blue IS stunning!

Received the 650s today and there is no doubt that combined with the Caliente they are a great duo.
Now with near 35 hours on the Caliente and only 5 hour old 650s I dont think ill need to upgrade any time soon.
The amp has plenty of juice, I really only had to turn up the volume a little more to match the 38Ohm M50.
Also the 650s makes me appreciate even more the amazing PRAT on this thing.
bigsmile_face.gif

I hope burn in dosent change the sound to much beacuse it sounds perfect to my ears!
wink_face.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #72 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Flage, I keep checking the first post to see if you've updated your review, can't wait to see what you have to say
happy_face1.gif

Being that I will likely attend a headfi meet in Atlanta later in April, I will probably wait until after then to submit any real in depth review of my experience with the phones/amp -- this will give it some real good burn in time too... but until then, I'll just post a random snippet here and there of my observations. So far so good.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #74 of 131
Roughly 40 - 50 hours in and the sound is coming together, bass is tightening up and dynamics are more under control. No complaints here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back