First Impressions: Whiplash Audio WhipMOD and Elite TWag Reference WhipLOD Combo
Dec 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #106 of 113
Appreciated. 

I'll be using Ortofon e-Q7 iem's and Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's mainly. All files are FLAC and a lot are vinyl rips.

Quote:
Quote:
Can I use the fat boy with a normal (not imod) ipod? If so would it be worth the price tag?

You could, but using a non-BG cap version would be better.  Would it worth it?  That depends on how resolving your headphones/IEMs are, recording quality and hearing.  Assuming they are all top notch, you should experience quite a jump in SQ using the Fat Boy even from a standard iPod 5G.  It won't resolve the source limitations that exist between the unmodded 5G and the WhipMOD, but it will still be and improvement.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #107 of 113

Quote:
Appreciated. 

I'll be using Ortofon e-Q7 iem's and Audio Technica ATH-ESW9's mainly. All files are FLAC and a lot are vinyl rips.

Quote:
Quote:
Can I use the fat boy with a normal (not imod) ipod? If so would it be worth the price tag?

You could, but using a non-BG cap version would be better.  Would it worth it?  That depends on how resolving your headphones/IEMs are, recording quality and hearing.  Assuming they are all top notch, you should experience quite a jump in SQ using the Fat Boy even from a standard iPod 5G.  It won't resolve the source limitations that exist between the unmodded 5G and the WhipMOD, but it will still be and improvement.

I'm sorry, but having never heard any of those two IEMs, I can't offer any further advice.  Craig does offer a 30-day money back guarantee--please confirm it with him directly before ordering--so if you want to give it a shot, you can do so with minimum risk.  This LOD will "grow" with the rest of your components as you upgrade them in the future.  That means if you can't utilize all its capabilities now, you won't have to worry about upgrading it later.

Or you can just get one of the regular LODs now and replace it when you invest in a WhipMOD or whatever other higher-performance components you choose when your budget allows.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #108 of 113

skoog5600 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quite frankly I wouldn't compare anything using your iPhone. Its a waste of time as it's not meant as a stand alone music player and you lose a lot because of that reason. Compare apples to apples, pardon the pun. Imod vs. Whipmod - ALO LOD vs Fatboy. Otherwise it's a waste of time and irrelevant.

Edited by skoog5600 - 9/7/10 at 5:11am

It's very detailed, Thanks for your instruction! Now I got it.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #109 of 113
Hello,

even after reading, I still don't get what's the difference between a WhipMOD and regular iPods.

Why is a LOD still required? Isn't it the WhipMOD changes the internal DAC ? Why not then use it directly from the Line OUT ? Why will people choose to use LOD ? Won't there be any degradation of sound occurring while transferring data ?

Or I am wrong? the WhipMOD does other things and not changing the DAC ?

Hope someone would enlighten me Thanks !

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #110 of 113

Quote:
Hello,

even after reading, I still don't get what's the difference between a WhipMOD and regular iPods.

Why is a LOD still required? Isn't it the WhipMOD changes the internal DAC ? Why not then use it directly from the Line OUT ? Why will people choose to use LOD ? Won't there be any degradation of sound occurring while transferring data ?

Or I am wrong? the WhipMOD does other things and not changing the DAC ?

Hope someone would enlighten me Thanks !

The 5.x gen WhipMODs do not change the internal Woolfson DAC, but they do clean up the signal path between it and the Dock connector by improved wiring and removal of additional components that clog the signal path.  In addition the donor iPod's PCB board is cryo-treated.  You need to use a quality WhipLOD with built-in capacitors, because the low-end, built-in caps are one of those components that are removed and there is not enough physical room inside to replace them with the high-quality BlackGate caps used in the WhipLODs.

You can technically still use the internal HP-out with the 5.x WhipMODs, but you would essentially bypass all the improvements that you gain by having the modding done, including those of using a quality LOD with a high-quality portable amp instead of the built-in HP-out which is powered by a single transistor.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #113 of 113
Anyone still using the Whipmod?
Able to compare the SQ ro newer players like the DX50, X3 etc?

Thank you.

X2

I used to really enjoy my IMOD 5.5 G 80GB IMOD >ALO IMOD 22 gauge cryroed cable > TTVJ MILLET PORTABLE TUBE AMP> APS V3 cable> Ultrasone Edition 9 headphones. It was a bit bright and a bit bass heavy..which was a good thing as I typically use this rig when snowboarding at about 40mph.

Well over time, I thought I could improve on it.

So I sold my IMOD 5.5 80GB and bought a smaller iPod 5 G 30GB - swapped the hard drive for. A 256 SS drive, ...well the sound was not as good . I confirmed this by listening to someone else's IMOD 5.5G 80GB

My thoughts are that two things could have been a factor.
1. The SS 256 GBDrive used more power. Leaving less for the chip amp (the line level gain stage not the bypassed iPod headphone amp)
2. The smaller battery on the 30gb 5th Gen IMOD also affects the sound..(less amperage available) .and stripped it of its luscious bass.

I had tried the jumbo cryro cable...and thought that....In combo with the Edition 9 Ultrasones ...there was too much bass which was smearing the midrange.

So...

I heard the AK 100, and the AK 120, and the AK 240 and Centrance HIfi M8 the Chord HUGO and so far. I am not so swayed away from getting yet another modded iPod. It's not that those other players don't sound good... (It's probably that I have had more time perfecting. The combo I had). Also the iPod interface works ...FOR ME..better with wet fingers On a ski lift.

The hard part of getting things to sound right was always getting the right LOD ...so the Whipmod package seems interesting.

Is anyone in Orange County or LA with a Whipmod I could hear? PM me please.... Or for that matter if anyone in the Newport Beach area has a portable rig that they think is insanely good..pm me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back