First Impressions: Whiplash Audio WhipMOD and Elite TWag Reference WhipLOD Combo
Oct 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #61 of 113

Quote:
I don't, I feel like the parametric EQ is not needed.  What amp are you using?  The only reason I RBed mine was for more bass lol, but with the right amp and cable it's completely unneccessary IMHO....unless you want to customize the UI but I have grown quite partial to my STD Apple UI,,,,

I'll check out which one I had though when I get back from work later this afternoon....

Hey, what version of RB are you using or did you use? Also I think that FLAC files are a little less compressed than Apple Lossless if I remember correctly. So that is one reason I use RB. Also there is far more live music in FLAC files than any other.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #62 of 113

Quote:
Hi
I'm trying to decide whether to buy an Imod or WhipMod and im confused on a few things

What i think i know:
So my understanding of the imod and whipmod is that the amp and internal circutry is bypassed directly to the Line out of the ipod, then external black gate caps stored in the LODs improve over the basic ipod parts.  

So im confused with the LOD part, is it still possible to use the imod or whipmod without each company's respective LODs?  Or would one have to purchase the LOD with black gates to benefit from either party's mod?

Thanks for any info you can provide
BTW if anyone is looking to sell an Imod or WHipMod PM me

So, the concept behind both devices are the same.  If you already have or are planning to obtain the TWag IEM cable for your IEM, you would be better off by going the WhipoMOD/WhipLOD route, because the WhipMOD leverages the cable synergies internally to match the rest of these external interconnects.  This will give you better performance.

The iMod doesn't have the benefit of enhanced internal wiring, cryo'd PCB board, but ALO LODs use the same Black Gate caps.  The difference is that they are made from copper or silver-plated copper materials.  They also sell their own IEM cables which have a different sound signature to that of TWag.

Your overall experience will also vary depend on what amp and IEMs are you planning to use.  More sophisticated, better resolving components benefit more of these upgrades.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #63 of 113
I just got my WhipMOD and Elite Reference LOD a few days ago, and I'm floored.  I'm not sure if the lack of impressions on the WhipMOD indicates that they aren't selling very well, or just that they haven't been out long enough.  But to anyone on the fence, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Craig has produced nothing but fine quality products, and the WhipMOD is no exception.

When I first got my package, I wasn't able to listen to the WhipMOD right away, so I plugged the Reference LOD into my Tough 2g using my JH16s connected with balanced TWag to my Protector.  Immediate response:  The sound was absolutely epic.  Even without burn in, and with the Touch's mediocre DAC, I could sense the huge step up in power and detail that the Reference LOD provides.  I had been using a TWag micro with a cheap iBasso interconnect; switching to the Reference showed me how much of a difference a top-quality integrated LOD connector and cable can make.

I hope to write a full review of the WhipMOD and Ref LOD soon, but for now I have to say that I haven't heard any iPod sound as good as the WhipMOD or my Touch with the Ref LOD.  My Touch has an absolutely holographic soundstage now, with very forward mids and excellent clarity.  In general, it seems the WhipMOD tends toward the bright end of coloration, with a somewhat "in your face" presentation.  The soundstage still manages to be very expansive, with sounds pushed to the outer edges on the left and right.  I don't know whether synergy exists due to TWag being used throughout my setup, but I'm loving the engaging and dynamic sound of the WhipMOD. 

In comparison to my HM-801, the WhipMOD sounds more forward and lively, whereas the HM-801 is a bit more laid back and warm.  And the WhipMOD has other advantages, namely capacity (240GB in a portable is insane!) and Rockbox-ability (I'm loving the features of Rockbox, but it does have a high learning curve and some random bugs).

Craig, kudos to you and your partners for producing an excellent set of products.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #64 of 113

Quote:
  In general, it seems the WhipMOD tends toward the bright end of coloration, with a somewhat "in your face" presentation.  The soundstage still manages to be very expansive, with sounds pushed to the outer edges on the left and right.  I don't know whether synergy exists due to TWag being used throughout my setup, but I'm loving the engaging and dynamic sound of the WhipMOD. 

In comparison to my HM-801, the WhipMOD sounds more forward and lively, whereas the HM-801 is a bit more laid back and warm.  And the WhipMOD has other advantages, namely capacity (240GB in a portable is insane!) and Rockbox-ability (I'm loving the features of Rockbox, but it does have a high learning curve and some random bugs).

Craig, kudos to you and your partners for producing an excellent set of products.

Cool.  The "in your face" forward signature will dissipate somewhat over time, in the next 2-300 hours after which the sound signature becomes more balanced across the spectrum with the Reference "Fat Boy" LOD especially.

Yeah, it's all about the TWag synergy (SCSCag inside the player) that gives it this edge.  Quite amazing.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #65 of 113

Quote:

Have to agree WhipMOD is pretty close to HM-801.  I have not done serious comparison between the two, but have been trying to listen to some 24/96 flac file on HM-801 and converting them to WAV files and playing it on WhipMOD.  Dispite of the conversion, they do not sound bad at all.  May be someone can do the direct comparison with a Roxboxed WhipMOD.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #66 of 113

Quote:

Yeah, it's all about the TWag synergy (SCSCag inside the player) that gives it this edge.  Quite amazing.

Warp, you've mentioned a few times that having all TWag throughout your setup creates synergies.  While this makes some sense intuitively, I'm just curious what exactly are you basing this claim on?  Or is it just a hunch?  Have you tried substituting one of the cables in your chain with another high-quality cable of a different material, like ALO's copper cable?

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #67 of 113

Quote:

Quote:

Warp, you've mentioned a few times that having all TWag throughout your setup creates synergies.  While this makes some sense intuitively, I'm just curious what exactly are you basing this claim on?  Or is it just a hunch?  Have you tried substituting one of the cables in your chain with another high-quality cable of a different material, like ALO's copper cable?

Two things:

• same situation on my bedroom rig (all TWag vs. various interconnects)
  • on the various iPod rigs I owned I did have an ALO SXC LOD and an RSA micro LOD.  While they were both well-made ICs, overall SQ improved when I got the first WhipLOD substituted back with the iMod setup vs. the ALO.  The Reference "Fat Boy" LOD with the WhipMOD was another significant leap forward.

At the same time, not everyone's hearing is the same and some people may prefer the sound signature of the copper-based cables.  That's why Craig also offers TWcu-based cables in addition to TWag, in addition to the fact that they are less expensive/more affordable.

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #68 of 113
Ok, thanks for elaborating.  I wonder if anyone has done any empirical or qualitative tests about whether using cables made of the same material throughout an audio chain is preferable to using cables made of 2 or more materials, even if those materials are high quality.

By the way, I didn't mean for my description of the WhipMOD as "bright" and "forward" to be negative in any way.  I actually prefer this kind of engaging sound signature, and it gives me a different flavor than my HM-801.  I've put probably 100 hours on the WhipMOD and Reference LOD already and haven't noticed a dramatic change in the sound signature yet.

I'm loving the WhipMOD, and with Rockbox it is an absolute beast.  Most of my lossless library is FLAC, APE and WV, and to be able to play those without converting is incredibly convenient (although Rockbox has issues with some APE files).  Now that I'm learning how to use more of Rockbox's powerful features, I can't see why anyone who has a lot of FLAC files and wants more options than the stock iPod software provides wouldn't use Rockbox.  The ability to delete songs on the player, fine-tune the order and content of playlists, and basically control all aspects of playback and display are just indispensable to me.  Rockbox has some weird quirks and isn't as intuitive as the stock iPod interface, but it's mostly stable and is chock full of features.  This first experience with Rockbox makes me wonder why Fang hasn't allowed coders to develop a version for the HM-801?

The HM-801 is still going to have its uses, but I'm seeing myself mostly using the WhipMOD for day-to-day listening.  The Whip (with my Protector) is smaller than the HM-801, holds 200+GB more music, and has a more powerful interface.  While the HM-801 may have a more spacious soundstage, with more air in between instruments and (based on my preliminary impressions) more fine detail, the WhipMOD presents a more immediately accessible and involving sound signature.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #69 of 113
thank for the impression DJ Nellie and Warp. In about a week or so I will get my HM801  and I will try to write some impressions of the HM801 vs Whipmod+Fat boy with my Stepdance.
By the way I think the HM801 is a great player too and glad to hear that the sound signature of the 801 differs from the Whipmod pack.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #70 of 113

Quote:

I've put probably 100 hours on the WhipMOD and Reference LOD already and haven't noticed a dramatic change in the sound signature yet.

You wouldn't, unless you burn-in without listening, because the improvements are gradual, but quite noticeable.  I always do offline burn-in, with 50-hour checkpoint sessions to evaluate progress.

This first experience with Rockbox makes me wonder why Fang hasn't allowed coders to develop a version for the HM-801?

Only he can answer that, but some of the limitations of the controller chip he uses in the current design cannot be overcome by modding the firmware/OS, such as the lack of gapless playback.  I do, in fact, prefer the iTunes database management master/slave synch model with a large music database.  If you think about it, it's the only way to keep both the master library (on your computer) and the replica (on our iPod) the same with a minimum effort.  If you want FLAC playback capability within iTunes and use a Mac, you can get a copy of the Amarra Jr. for $79 which is good for up to Redbook resolution and bitrate.

The HM-801 is still going to have its uses, but I'm seeing myself mostly using the WhipMOD for day-to-day listening.  The Whip (with my Protector) is smaller than the HM-801, holds 200+GB more music, and has a more powerful interface.  While the HM-801 may have a more spacious soundstage, with more air in between instruments and (based on my preliminary impressions) more fine detail, the WhipMOD presents a more immediately accessible and involving sound signature.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #72 of 113

Quote:

Quote:
  I always do offline burn-in

how is this done? just leave everything plugged in to the charger and run it all day? sorry for the green/ot question. im new to all this stuff.

Essentially, yes, at normal listening volume.  You can buy "burn-in" CDs with special white, pink, etc., tracks but I see little actual value of using them. So I have a playlist of selected test tracks which I play via random repeat and keep cycling.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #73 of 113
Has anyone tried to play their WhipMOD on a conventional iPod stereo dock, like a Bose or iHome?  I just want to confirm that no damage will be done to the Whip, or if it HAS to be played with a dock with the right caps.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #74 of 113
I don't think you're risking damage to the WhipMOD itself that way, as much as potential damage to the built-in amp of the dock that was designed for conventional iPods (with built-in caps).

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #75 of 113
I plugged my WhipMOD into my friend's crappy iHome stereo dock using the Reference LOD and the line-in.  The clarity and power of the sound really surprised me, I didn't think those cheap speakers could sound so good.  The stereo dock makes my iPod Touch sound thin and muddy, almost like an FM radio, when it's playing off the dock. 

Consider this another sign of the WhipMOD's quality:  It can make crappy equipment sound pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back