First impressions: Stax SR-001 mk2
Apr 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #16 of 22
Good conversation going on here. Thanks for the ideas. If I want to get a different CD player (for bigger sound) and don't want to spend a ton of money; what should I look for? Used market is definitely preferred.

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 22
I'd say that you should go to a hi-fi store and see if you can audition different CD players and DACs, or whatever they have on hand. If you mean portable CD players - then I think you're SOL, unless you go vintage. Today's CD players are basically junk sonically compared to vintage PCDPs of old - but vintage PCDPs are notoriously fragile and unreliable, and can be very expensive, if you get the known quality ones. I lucked out with my Fisher; it's still going fine 16 years after I bought it, but I have two D311s which I paid out the *** for and they both broke within a month. They did sound nice, though
rolleyes.gif

If you can find a Kenwood HD30GB9 for a good price (check European stores rather than going through Japanese grey-market importers which will charge you an arm and a leg), then go for it - it's a seriously good sounding DAP that works quite well with the SR-001. Just don't pay an arm and a leg for one - which you will, if Audiocubes is the only place you can find one.

Otherwise, just audition whatever you can get your hands on, and see how it goes. The SR-001 is notoriously revealing, but it also has a somewhat quirky personality, in that it will synergize with the strangest things, and then sound like crap with some quality gear. You'll know when you have the synergy right.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ack, don't use the MicroDAC with the SR-001, unless you absolutely positively hate soundstage. If you want everything to sound like it's coming straight from the center of your head with little depth or layering, then go ahead.

I had very good results with the Kenwood HD20GA7 DAP, as well as Sony D311 and Fisher PCD5400 PCDPs. Both gave the system a good tonal balance and a very wide soundstage (for a portable), with the Sony being more detailed but the Fisher being more dynamic, while the Kenwood had a massive soundstage and a very warm, romantic tone. The X5 just sounds flat - little stage and compressed dynamic range. My trusty Rega Planet 2000 sounds pretty lousy with the system as well - not enough stage, too much roll off at both ends, and a midrange that's too thick and congested.

Experimentation will be the way to go here. I think you need to audition a lot of sources and DAPs if you can. When you do find something that works right, the SR-001 will far outshine the E500 or the UM2 or any similar universal-fit IEMs. But, you have to get the synergy right.

I gave mine up due to comfort and portability issues. Well, that, and the fact that I broke it
frown.gif

So far, my favorite source with the SR-001 is now the iMod with portable v-cap dock (with the barqy made silver LOD and mini-mini).

But, I am not hearing a soundstage problem with the Micro DAC when used with optical out from the iRiver and the Sony PCDP.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #20 of 22
Take a look at the vintage Sony D-5 I have for sale in my sig? However, it is only portable if you build a 6 c-cell external 9v battery pack. I used it as my bedside rig for a while, and it drives HD600 and Grado RS-2 with authority from headphone out.

For SR-001 you can plug a mini-mini from the line out into the SR-001, and it sounds great. This is the bedside setup that I used until I went to an optical out vintage PCDP with iBasso D1 DAC, and everyone still laughed at me till I bought a full size Marantz
redface.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, my favorite source with the SR-001 is now the iMod with portable v-cap dock (with the barqy made silver LOD and mini-mini).

But, I am not hearing a soundstage problem with the Micro DAC when used with optical out from the iRiver and the Sony PCDP.

Well, it depends on what you compare it to. I used a H120 --> MicroDAC and Sony D-NE920 --> MicroDAC rig, and the soundstage was certainly on par with a Grado SR-60 or an Ety ER-4P (though the imaging was hazier) but it was nowhere near the soundstage I got with my Fisher or my Kenwood. There, it wasn't quite on par with the SR-404 but it was easily on par with the K340 in size, if not in imaging.

It could also be the recordings I used. The SR-001 really does not impart a soundstage to recordings that don't already have one, and in my book, that's not necessarily a good thing. It may be more accurate, but it's a lot less musical. With recordings that did have a soundstage, it was small, but it was there. With the Fisher or the Kenwood, of course, it's a different story.

It could also have a lot to do with how we're wearing the phones. I wear mine with the headband and large size tips, and I rest the phones on the opening of the ear canal and don't actually push them into the ear canal. My ears can't hold the phones in when I wear them as canalphones.

Apr 11, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it depends on what you compare it to. I used a H120 --> MicroDAC and Sony D-NE920 --> MicroDAC rig, and the soundstage was certainly on par with a Grado SR-60 or an Ety ER-4P (though the imaging was hazier) but it was nowhere near the soundstage I got with my Fisher or my Kenwood. There, it wasn't quite on par with the SR-404 but it was easily on par with the K340 in size, if not in imaging.

It could also be the recordings I used. The SR-001 really does not impart a soundstage to recordings that don't already have one, and in my book, that's not necessarily a good thing. It may be more accurate, but it's a lot less musical. With recordings that did have a soundstage, it was small, but it was there. With the Fisher or the Kenwood, of course, it's a different story.

It could also have a lot to do with how we're wearing the phones. I wear mine with the headband and large size tips, and I rest the phones on the opening of the ear canal and don't actually push them into the ear canal. My ears can't hold the phones in when I wear them as canalphones.

Hmmm, I wear mine the same way. I find any IEM has a lesser soundstage than circumaural headphones, and the SR-001 is no exception - but I just don't find the sound stage to be smaller with the MicroDAC than with other sources. I know some sources and amps can make the soundstage seem more distant, I just don't see the MicroDAC as having that attribute (or I should say "hear" not "see").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back