First impressions: Stax SR-001 mk2
Apr 9, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sabeking

New Head-Fier
I bought a set of Stax SR-001's from a fellow member here on head-fi. Although I have not got them in the proper setup, I do have some impressions and I am looking for others to comment on.

First, they are extremely detailed. Information (instruments) are clearly identifiable and not congested.

Second, the extremes in the frequency spectrum are rolled off as noted by others. I'm not too concerned here.

Third, the presentation is a little on the small side. This does not mean that is doesn't have space and a soundstage; it means that the overall presentation of the sound is small.

So, as I go into bettering my source, will I be able to get a bigger presentation of the sound? Do the lamba sized Stax offer a bigger presentation than SR-001's?

Thanks for feedback,

Stacey

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 22
1. What source are you using now? Generally these have shown to be very responsive to improvements in the source material.
2. Lambdas offer a bigger presentation, but from my experience SR-001 tends to be more accurate across the range it offers and within its sound stage size.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabeking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, they are extremely detailed. Information (instruments) are clearly identifiable and not congested.

Second, the extremes in the frequency spectrum are rolled off as noted by others. I'm not too concerned here.

Third, the presentation is a little on the small side. This does not mean that is doesn't have space and a soundstage; it means that the overall presentation of the sound is small.

So, as I go into bettering my source, will I be able to get a bigger presentation of the sound? Do the lamba sized Stax offer a bigger presentation than SR-001's?

Thanks for feedback,

Stacey

Welcome to the Stax Mafia, Stacey.

First, lots of discussion in the Stax threads (e.g. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sta...ad-new-223263/ ) could enlighten you to the variety of opinions on all Stax gear. Other electrostatic threads (e.g. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/kos...ribute-262845/ ) can also be useful.

The presentation of most IEMs is smaller than full sized headphones but I also consider that the quality of the recording, source and interconnects can also have considerable impact. I find my SR-001s can present quite a big, broad sound with the best source info (disc/file through player, ICs, amp, etc).

The SR-001 performs better with better amplification. This can be achieved by modding the SRM-001 amp (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sta...thread-277049/) or getting an adapter to allow the headphones to plug into a full sized Stax amp (making it like an SR-003). I got my adapter from [AK]Zip at APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure.

The full sized Lambdas, Sigmas, Omegas, etc all do present in big, broad manners that have their own unique characteristics. If you really want broad then try a set of Sigmas sometime. Omegas also do well but require exceptionally good amplification to shine.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 22
The SR-001 MK2 sure are a great portable system.
Especially if you can live with the limited sound isolation, the roll-off frequencies and the wearing comfort.

Welcome to Club Stax!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-001 MK2 sure are a great portable system.
Especially if you can live with the limited sound isolation, the roll-off frequencies and the wearing comfort.

Welcome to Club Stax!
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. The SR-001 should be measured not against full-size stax, in which case I'll take even an SR-5 or SR-X first (though YMMV), but against portable options, in which realm you could spend far, far more and still not get the same level of SQ. Anyone who doesn't need their portable to be closed, can drag around a battery-chomping amp, and doesn't find these uncomfortable (for my ears, they're fine) can instantly outdo everybody else with $500 IEMS and $300 amps.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 22
SR-001 system is great. With a bit of EQ the roll-off is gone. They actually are capable of producing deep bass and lot's of high frequencies. My guess is that the amp was voiced this way to limit listening fatigue. I liked them better than SR-X, Magnavox Stax OEM and with some music they even sound better than SR-Gamma.

Lambdas (any Lambda) IMHO kick their ass in all aspects. Soundstaging especially is Lambdas strong point, however SR-001 gives you a good flavor of that detadelicious Stax sound
cool.gif

As a portable system I am yet to hear something better. My ER-4 are very nice, but are no where close in fidelity to these. The thing is they are not really portable, or not "put in your pocket" portable. They are very fragile little things and leak sounds in. They are however a perfect vacation or office system;
biggrin.gif
mate them with nice CDP or DAP and you are all set.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 22
Despite my acknowledging the great performance of the SR 001, mine get very little head time. I find them too fiddly and they become more of an irritation due to all the cables and bits. Must put them up for sale soon. Now prefer my ATH EW9 (come to think about it, they are fiddly also).

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 22
One thing I enjoy about the nature of the SR-001 is that even in a louder environment such as walking outside the bass doesn't piddle out in that environment like how my KSC75s do or even my HD25s to an extent. Instead the in-ear design channels the bass in and I can still feel it. In that sense they can still give other non in-ear portable options a run for their money.

Having recently purchased a full sized SRS2050II system I can verify that going full sized gives more of everything that I liked about the SR-001.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 22
I am in the process of reviewing my SR-001 Mk2 and modded SR-001 Mk1 against dynamic earphones with portable amp.

The 001 respond well to a source upgrade, and do best with silver interconnects. One combo I have found that makes either of my SR-001 sound wonderful is to feed an optical source like H120, or sony portable CD into HeadRoom Micro DAC, and then that into the SR-001 via a silver cable interconnect. I will be trying my iMod as source next, with a jumbo cryo silver x LOD.

I will post a new thread when done, and link to it in the SR-001 mod thread.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in the process of reviewing my SR-001 Mk2 and modded SR-001 Mk1 against dynamic earphones with portable amp.

The 001 respond well to a source upgrade, and do best with silver interconnects. One combo I have found that makes either of my SR-001 sound wonderful is to feed an optical source like H120, or sony portable CD into HeadRoom Micro DAC, and then that into the SR-001 via a silver cable interconnect. I will be trying my iMod as source next, with a jumbo cryo silver x LOD.

I will post a new thread when done, and link to it in the SR-001 mod thread.

I did not like silver cable with SR-001 at all. It gave them a very unnatural tone and coloration IMHO. I prefer 6N-OFC cables to the silver cables that I tried.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who doesn't need their portable to be closed, can drag around a battery-chomping amp, and doesn't find these uncomfortable (for my ears, they're fine) can instantly outdo everybody else with $500 IEMS and $300 amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a portable system I am yet to hear something better. My ER-4 are very nice, but are no where close in fidelity to these. The thing is they are not really portable, or not "put in your pocket" portable. They are very fragile little things and leak sounds in. They are however a perfect vacation or office system; mate them with nice CDP or DAP and you are all set.

I have to, in general, agree. However the better IEM combos (e.g. iRiver H140 - IBasso DAC/Amp with rolled opamps - Livewires T1s) can get closer than you might think (or at least closer than I thought they would
rolleyes.gif
). If I iRiver H140 - IBasso DAC - SR-001 system (Apuresound modded SRM-001) then it is a definite improvement but, as Faust2D states, they then would benefit a bit from some EQing to pull the bass and highs up a tad
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 001 respond well to a source upgrade, and do best with silver interconnects. One combo I have found that makes either of my SR-001 sound wonderful is to feed an optical source like H120, or sony portable CD into HeadRoom Micro DAC, and then that into the SR-001 via a silver cable interconnect.

X2, to both the source upgrade and the silver ICs (sorry Faust2D but if the silvers are well burned in they do step beyond the alternatives IMHO). I'm using the iBasso D1 with the LT6241 DAC opamp rather than the MicroDAC (and I'm sure HeadphoenAddict has experience with both of these DACs and could highlight any major differences between the two
wink.gif
)

I guess the gist of this thread is indicating that the SR-001 package is good, can be configured, upgraded, equipment matched to be very good, perhaps even very very good, but will (generally) be surpassed by its bigger Stax compatriots.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
Anyone who doesn't need their portable to be closed, can drag around a battery-chomping amp, and doesn't find these uncomfortable (for my ears, they're fine) can instantly outdo everybody else with $500 IEMS and $300 amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D
As a portable system I am yet to hear something better. My ER-4 are very nice, but are no where close in fidelity to these. The thing is they are not really portable, or not "put in your pocket" portable. They are very fragile little things and leak sounds in. They are however a perfect vacation or office system; mate them with nice CDP or DAP and you are all set.

I have to, in general, agree. However the better IEM combos (e.g. iRiver H140 - IBasso DAC/Amp with rolled opamps - Livewires T1s) can get closer than you might think (or at least closer than I thought they would
rolleyes.gif
). If I iRiver H140 - IBasso DAC - SR-001 system (Apuresound modded SRM-001) then it is a definite improvement but, as Faust2D states, they then would benefit a bit from some EQing to pull the bass and highs up a tad
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
The 001 respond well to a source upgrade, and do best with silver interconnects. One combo I have found that makes either of my SR-001 sound wonderful is to feed an optical source like H120, or sony portable CD into HeadRoom Micro DAC, and then that into the SR-001 via a silver cable interconnect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2, to both the source upgrade and the silver ICs (sorry Faust2D but if the silvers are well burned in they do step beyond the alternatives IMHO). I'm using the iBasso D1 with the LT6241 DAC opamp rather than the MicroDAC (and I'm sure HeadphoenAddict has experience with both of these DACs and could highlight any major differences between the two
wink.gif
)

I guess the gist of this thread is indicating that the SR-001 package is good, can be configured, upgraded, equipment matched to be very good, perhaps even very very good, but will (generally) be surpassed by its bigger Stax compatriots.
biggrin.gif

I initially used the iBasso D1 with LTC6241 opamp in the DAC, but felt the HR Micro DAC added the bass extension and warmth the SR-001 needed, while the silver interconnects gave it the high end extension they needed. With the D1 I had to drive the SR-001 via the headphone out instead of line out to get the warmer/bassier sound I wanted.

I am still working on my comparisons, but I have to say that the Livewires with RSA Predator are (so far) sounding better than the SR-001 (modded Mk1 or stock Mk2), when used with the same source/DAC. I still think the SR-001 driver unit is holding it back, although it is almost as good as my SR-003 via full size amp (SRM-1 Mk2 Pro). They sound great, especially the SuperFatCat modded one, but they don't disappear in the music like the Livewires and Predator via iMod.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 22
Ack, don't use the MicroDAC with the SR-001, unless you absolutely positively hate soundstage. If you want everything to sound like it's coming straight from the center of your head with little depth or layering, then go ahead.

I had very good results with the Kenwood HD20GA7 DAP, as well as Sony D311 and Fisher PCD5400 PCDPs. Both gave the system a good tonal balance and a very wide soundstage (for a portable), with the Sony being more detailed but the Fisher being more dynamic, while the Kenwood had a massive soundstage and a very warm, romantic tone. The X5 just sounds flat - little stage and compressed dynamic range. My trusty Rega Planet 2000 sounds pretty lousy with the system as well - not enough stage, too much roll off at both ends, and a midrange that's too thick and congested.

Experimentation will be the way to go here. I think you need to audition a lot of sources and DAPs if you can. When you do find something that works right, the SR-001 will far outshine the E500 or the UM2 or any similar universal-fit IEMs. But, you have to get the synergy right.

I gave mine up due to comfort and portability issues. Well, that, and the fact that I broke it
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back