**First impressions of RnB Audio's new Sky Blue Mini**
Jun 24, 2005 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ajt976

100+ Head-Fier
RnB-Audio Sky Blue Mini Review

As you may or may not have been aware, our own DIY cabling artist RnB180 recently put up a mall-fi ad promoting his new "Sky Blue Mini-Mini Interconnect". The mall-fi ad can be found here, and his image flyer can be found here. RnB recently asked if I would be interested in listening and briefly review his newest creation and I agreed to offer my impressions, however you must bear in mind that this is the first time I've done anything like this so it might not be the greatest!

Build Quality:

Anyone who's looked at Rnb180's photobucket gallery will agree that he is a very talented cable builder. His beautiful cables are what I saw first when I came to Head-fi at the end of March, and it should be noted that the reason I became a member of this forum was to PM him a question about making (among other things) a mini-mini interconnect! The Sky Blue Mini is no exception. The pictures just don't do it any justice, you need to feel this cable to appreciate it's quality. Not only does it look great, but it is highly flexible, moreso than I had origionally thought. The cable has an outer layer of sleeving for abrasion resistance and has ample strain relief, both mechanical and with dual wall adhesive heatshrink. The terminations are of good quality and feel solid when plugging them in. My assessment, this cable looks as good as it is functional!

My Test Rig:

The test rig I used was my own personal rig I take with me to school. I used one of two sources; either a 3G iPod in it's dock utilizing it's wall adapter and the line out (note all songs encoded to AAC 320) OR a Panasonic SL-CT710 PCDP without the remote ==> *either of the two compared IC's* ==> a JMT built Pimeta with Elpac ==> Stock Alessandro Music Series 2i's and bowls. Basically I spent about 30 minutes covering about 7 tracks with the Sky Blue, then switched to the Cardas listening to the same 7 tracks. Then I switched back to the Sky Blue skipping to spots where I head a notable difference, followed by some shorter periods over specific spots of interest. The whole while I made sure to jot down some notes and things that stuck out in my mind.

The Two Compared Interconnects:

The two cables I've compared tonight were the RnB Audio Sky Blue Mini and the 6" Cardas HPI.

The Comparisons:

Well, now the part you've been waiting for. I started using the PCDP listening to the new Alterbridge albumn. After running over my favorite tracks with both cables, these were my notes: After switching back to the Sky Blue, I immediately noticed a change in the positioning of the vocals. It's almost as if I were being pulled closer to the vocalist and closer into the band all together. The vocals just kind of floated to the top and had a more prominent presence. I also noticed that the guitar really shined, the Sky Blue just gave me this great shimmer to the high end while the guitar riffs sang in underneath the vocals. I also noted that the bass really tightened up compared to the HPI, especially when considering the kick drum rhythms.

I next switched to the iPod line out and continued my comparison. I now started to pick out specific differences and would concentrate on these while listening. The first big difference was noticed when I pulled up my Millenium Funk playlist. The back up electro-bass riffs in Jungle Boogie (Kool and the Gang) were AWESOME! They were so controlled, it was really nice. I also noted that I could more easily pick out the echo in the trumpet scoops and the vocal echoes as well. I sat for the next 15 or 20 minutes just rolling through the rest of the funk list then onto some rock and metal. During this time I had just left the Sky Blue in and enjoyed my music. My concentrated, scrunched-eyebrow look was now replaced by a relaxed smile as I sat and fell into my groove. I'm told that this is the best way to review audio equipment. I simply couldn't stop grinning while my foot consistantly tapped to the beat. The last song I listened to was Simple Man by Shinedown. In this song, I noticed that the vocals with the Sky Blue to be particularly great; also the acoustic guitar work here was amazing as well. I noted that the Cardas cable REALLY thinned out the vocals in this track.

My Conclusions:

Overall I felt the Sky Blue Mini tore apart the Cardas HPI on every level. There is no comparing the build quality of the two, and sonically the Cardas HPI just lacked in every department. In the end, RnB's cable had tighter and more controlled bass response, greater clarity and distinction in the vocals, great guitar sound, and I really appreciated the added "closeness" it seemed to give me. In comparison, the HPI was overall just muddy. The bass seemed cloudy, and the vocals sounded thin and distant. Most of all, it just made my music sound farther away.

In the end, I'm quite satisfied with my new Sky Blue Mini. It is my new favorite cable, replacing my own DIY Canare Starquad IC in my main transportable setup. If you are looking for a high quality cable with good asthetics and a price that won't make your wallet cry...you should seriously consider RnB's Sky Blue. I guarantee it will give any other cable in this price range a run for their money!

Please feel free to post any other questions you might have for this "first time reviewer". I'd be happy to run over something again changing the setup a little. Also, I will be adding some pictures this evening sometime, so be sure to watch out for that!

Thanks for reading,
Andrew

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 30
The guy does nice work as his pictures in the DIY forum cable gallery will attest to.Nice to finally see an hands on review
cool.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 30
Excellent review, Andrew.

Given the extremely low prices, high quality of parts and workmanship, and ability to respond quickly to custom orders, I would think these cables would sell like hotcakes... and that's not even considering the sound improvements you've noted when comparing it to a very reputable cable!

Well, I've ordered mine at least!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 30
I know I promised pictures the other day but I've been really busy...honest
biggrin.gif
!

I went on a trip today to Osceola, Missouri with my girlfriend's family and decided it would be necessary to pack a few toys to play with
biggrin.gif
. So I stuffed my case full of goodies to keep me entertained during the trip, needless to say I still got a little bored so I decided to test my "picture taking while in a moving vehicle" skills.

Here's a shot featuring RnB's cable (which now travels with me in place of my old Starquad IC
tongue.gif
).

24594CableShot1.jpg

And another, I was throwing in the Starquad IC to see if the dock and right angle connector would fit well in one of those cupholder hole thingers...didn't work
frown.gif
. That's allright, I can still jam to some tunes regardless.

24594CableShot2.jpg

Even the baby commented on the asthetics of this fine piece of audio gear stating, "OOOH, peeetty!" (damn those "R's" are hard to pronounce at three!
tongue.gif
) I don't know about you guys, but I think that's saying something!
biggrin.gif

More to come, I promise!

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 30
Yea...I guess I would be able to call it my blue rig then huh? That's ok though, I just think of it as the sound reaching enlightenment going from shades of dark blue, to light, to white!
biggrin.gif

Plus, I just wanted you to know that Katy thought your cable was quite nice on the eyes...she didn't, however, like the fact I wouldn't let her to play with it!
tongue.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 30
Dude, your daughter is beautiful! She's kind of shy for the camera but you can tell that she likes the attention. It's never too soon to start recruiting new head-fi members, you know...

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Yea...I guess I would be able to call it my blue rig then huh? That's ok though, I just think of it as the sound reaching enlightenment going from shades of dark blue, to light, to white!

Kind'a a Nautical Theme ?
tongue.gif

Better yet you have about a week to get a red amp so you will be ready for the Fourth of July
cool.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 30
LOL! I wish I could claim that that little cutie as my own, but she is rather like my baby sister! Don't worry though, she has plenty of adopted parentals and everyone loves to care for her.
smily_headphones1.gif

And no worries on the future head-fier! I've already got her started on a nice head-fi journey...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 30
i'm another fan of the Skyblue mini ... terrific build quality and even better sound (and i'm only at about 100 hours of burn-in). thanks RnB!

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 30
Nice review! I have one of RnB's prototype cables and can't say enough about the build quality and how great it sounds. RnB would continue to check up once in awhile and show me other stuff he's working on. He's one of the best Head-Fiers I had the pleasure of knowing here.

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 30
Hi, Andrew!

Great timing - and nicely personal, well-considered review.

I've always been a (previous silent) fan of the quality and beauty of RnB180's handiwork -- and the beautiful style of his photos of same. I've recently started recommending his cables, but haven't actually purchased one for myself ... yet! That status won't last long.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Regards,
Peter
orphsmile.gif

{No, I don't own an Orpheus system ... but just having experienced bozebuttons system was ever-so-satisfying!}

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 30
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one enjoying this cable! And I too can attest for RnB's reputation as a great head-fier.
biggrin.gif

Any other's have this cable and would like to contribute? I'd be interested to see what they think.

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 30
I'd like to enjoy the cable too, but sadly I can't seem to get in contact with the maker of the cable... either that or he chooses not to sell to me. I wish I knew which one of those it is - if he hasn't had time to reply yet, or he simply just doesn't like me or something.
frown.gif

But yeah, this cable looks nice, I just wish I could order it.
frown.gif

So RnB180, if you see this and somehow haven't had a chance to reply to me, or somehow missed my mail and pm, I'd really like to order the cable from you!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back