FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Aug 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,801 of 1,841
Get the amp, you already have a decent DAC. I would also take a look at the Little Dot MK II though, it seems like a good deal for not too much more $.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,802 of 1,841

Quote:
Total noob question, I bought the uDAC back in Febuary or March based on stuff I read in this thread. No regrets the little gizmo does exactly what I was looking for. I was thinking about a total bit head and decided on this instead in case I ever wanted to hook an amp up to it. My basic desire was to improve the source I was plugging my headphone into and at $99 compared to $149 for the bit head it seemed like the way to go, especially since it has the RCA outs and I could add an amp later.

I doubt it's the best DAC out there (maybe not even best budget DAC) I just know it's way better than the headphone out on my PC. My question is this though. I have some Denon d2000's on the way and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the d2000's using the uDAC's headphone out. I only ask because it seems one the criticisms of the uDAC is the way it adds to the mids which is supposedly the weakness of the Denons

Also would be interested in some amp suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward the little dot +1. Have also considered the ef2 both of which are hybrid amps and supposedly have good synergy with low impedance phones like the Denons. Another DAC is not out of the question either, but from what I can remember when reading the Feb / March incarnation of this thread; the RCA outs on my version of the uDAC were pretty solid. Anyway what I'm looking for is something that has good synergy with the Denon d2000's.

Add an amp or replace the uDAC?

I would not do anything until the D2000 arrive, then try them out with the uDAC headphone out.

Aug 22, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #1,804 of 1,841
Aug 22, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #1,805 of 1,841
for sure. uDac is working when i use it as dac, but not when i want to use its coax out.

print screen form foobar: http://i38.tinypic.com/2i8zrph.jpg

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,806 of 1,841
I've had some problems with distortion (especially bass) lately so I opened it up today and damn, that was some pretty awful soldering... Anyway, I plan to resolder some of it and thought I'd remove the volume pot and maybe the phone-jack as well since I dont use either of them so I wonder if there is any wiring scheme around?

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,807 of 1,841

Quote:
for sure. uDac is working when i use it as dac, but not when i want to use its coax out.

What about the Windows sound panel?

Aug 22, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #1,808 of 1,841

Quote:
I've had some problems with distortion (especially bass) lately so I opened it up today and damn, that was some pretty awful soldering... Anyway, I plan to resolder some of it and thought I'd remove the volume pot and maybe the phone-jack as well since I dont use either of them so I wonder if there is any wiring scheme around?

Do you have any pics? I was considering a udac for my dad... but maybe not

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #1,809 of 1,841

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty - send it in for repairs, don't DIY.

Quote:

I don't know anything about windows audio, or I'd try to help.  You might want to contact Nuforce about this.

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,810 of 1,841
Here are a few impressions from the uDAC review I wrote  for an Indian tech site. Thought would post it here as well as the impressions might be helpful for people owning similar headphones/IEMs or looking forward to buy them.

[size=small]
61067x800.jpg

8600x800.jpg

[/size]

[size=small] [/size]

[size=small] [size=medium]Performance. [/size][/size]

[size=small] Testing procedure :[/size]

[size=small] The testing was carried out over a period of 2-3 weeks, most of which was spent comparing the uDAC side by side with my other sources like Asus Xonar DX soundcard and the HiFiMan EF2A DAC + Hybrid tube amp. Different headphones /IEMs were used at the output end to understand the synergy of the DACs with different sound signatures.[/size]

[size=small] Tracks used :[/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]Used my usual FLAC / 320 kbps collection of electronica/trance ,Some classic bollywood movie tracks, Metallica,Kailash Kher ,A.R Rahman collection and Alanis Morissette- unplugged along with some good quality live recordings to test the soundstage.

[size=medium]My Impressions :[/size][/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]I connected my modded Altec Lansing MX5021 to the Xonar DX and the uDAC via the RCA line out to aux in of 5021 .I am not sure if this is a pure line-out signal of the DAC as the volume control pot works as normal (with lower volume compared to headphone out) which usually isn't the case with a line out signal which is at a fixed volume. Ive mailed NuForce for more details for the same and will update the thread once I hear from them.
[/size]
[size=small]I compared the sound switching back and forth between the uDAC and Xonar DX and the first thing I noticed was that the soundstage with uDAC was much wider than the Xonar DX and the overall sound was slightly more clear/noiseless compared to the Xonar DX. Other than that there was a slight improvement in the detailing as well but not an enormous difference. Just the bass sounds more textured and has more depth to it .Midrange and treble extension was on par , couldn't notice any major difference .Overall I prefer the uDAC for the wider soundstage.If not for the soundstage ,both are almost on-par when connected to speakers like 5021s.The difference in midrange and treble is so subtle, one really needs to give a critical ear to notice it.

[/size]
[size=small]Later I hooked up the Denon AH-2000 headphones to the Xonar DX and HiFiMan EF2A DAC + hybrid amp .Do keep in mind though the D2000s are in mid-fi /hi-fi territory they are lot easier to drive than the Sennheisers or AKGs but it does need a little juice, not for the volume, but for the detailing to show up.

[/size]
[size=small]The Xonar DX drives them to satisfactory levels. However when you switch to the uDACs headphone out you realise that you've been missing quite a lot .First of all the the bass has much more impact and authority on the uDAC and the sub-bass is more prominent compared to DX. The D2000 has such contrasting sound with the peak in its bass and treble detailing that it's midrange sounds a little recessed. The uDAC does a good job of bringing out the mids and this shows that the headphone out of uDAC has a warm sound. It has a smooth forward sounding midrange and a slightly more bass quantity . The treble detailing is amazing and miles ahead of the Xonar DX in comparison.It's very clear and has a nice sparkle to it .Its a little bright compared to the DX and It gets sibilant at times as the D2000 itself inherits some sibilance. Cutting down the 10K band in Foobar EQ attenuates the sharpness in sound.

Between the DX and uDAC , the uDAC is a clear winner when it comes to driving even the less demanding headphones.[/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]Comparing the EF2As DAC + headphone out(CV4010 Mullard tubes) to that of uDACs the EF2A has a pretty good detailing but the overall sound signature is slightly dry and cold.The uDAC sounds nice and warm whereas the the EF2A has a dark sound. Also the EF2A can't reproduce the low end bass frequencies like the uDAC and its noticeable when you don’t hear the deep impact and slight reverbs in the bass which is there in the uDAC.Overall the uDAC again has a slight edge over the EF2A in sound quality but this is mainly due to the not so great DAC on the EF2A.Otherwise the EF2A has a lot of potential which you will come across later in the review.

[/size]
[size=small]After the D2000 , I picked up one of all time favourite IEMs , the Head-Direct RE-0 to try it with the uDAC. The RE-0 has a very analytical and neutral sound signature. Light bass, dry midrange and an amazingly detailed treble extension. Yet it sounds blissful everytime you try it due to its top-notch transparency and unmatched detailing .It's just a little too neutral to enjoy your music but best for testing other gears or critical listening. Now here comes the best part , the synergy of uDAC and RE-0 is a match made in heaven. The uDAC at a ~40% volume has enough power to drive the RE-0s to their best. The light bass is boosted up by 2-3 levels. But its just the quantity of bass that increases. The quality still isn't as good as RE-252 and the very low end of spectrum is missing in the RE-0.Doesn't really matter because the midrange and treble sounds so perfect. A slight warmth is added to the dull midrange of RE-0 and the existing treble sounds even more enhanced.
[/size]
[size=small]The sound is exactly what Ive been looking for from an RE-0.It makes it musical without losing the detailing and retaining most of its neutral sound signature. Just adds up to the missing bits. Now I wish if the uDAC was a portable amp as well . NuForce must come up with a uDAC mobile , I am sure it would sell like hot cakes if priced right.

[/size]
[size=small]Finally I tried the HiFiMan RE-252 with the uDAC. The synergy isn't the best as the RE-0 probably because the 252 already has a slightly warm midrange. It sounds better than my portable gear ofcourse but with the uDAC , the 252 loses its neutral sound and the midrange sounds more forward. The soundstage is much better compared to Fuze which I usually use with 252 on the move. The 252 on the other hand sounds much better with the dark sounding EF2A amp .I prefer it over the uDAC . Its not about detailing but more about the sound signature.

[/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]Just for the sake of it I even tried a slightly different combo of uDAC as the DAC + EF2A as amp connected via line out of uDAC. Needless to say the sound was amazing .The fullness and wide soundstage of uDAC was there and the cleaner and darker sound of EF2A sounded more like neutral with the warm uDAC.

[/size]
[size=small]Here's what I would prefer personally - uDAC + EF2A > uDAC >> EF2A \Xonar DX .

[/size]
[size=small] > - slightly better, >> lot better

[/size]

[size=small] [size=medium]Rating ?[/size][/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small] How about a 4.2/5. I really can't find any flaw in the product and it actually loses points just for the lack of neutrality. Not that I complain but lot of people might. Lot of best DACs/amps out there do not have the most neutral sound. Also the warm sound signature is basically due to the headphone amp, the line out pretty much sounds neutral (as read in MX5021 impressions).

[size=medium]Final Thoughts :[/size][/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]If you could manage to sit through the long and boring sound impressions you would've realised by now that the uDAC doesn't really have the most neutral sounding headphone out .It has a very good speed and decay in bass attack and a slight boost in the sub bass which gives the bass a good impact. I wouldn’t call it boomy or heavy bass but perfect bass with good authority. The midrange is slightly warm and forward sounding .The treble is very slightly coloured, although extremely detailed .This is the part which gives most of the first time listeners an impression that the uDAC is the best sounding DAC ever. The slight colouration in sound makes you feel that the uDAC belongs to a much higher level. Its very musical and really helps you immerse in the sound , I am saying this because I don't enjoy my D2000 with any other source as much as uDAC.
[/size]

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,811 of 1,841

Quote:
Lol ,
 Now We All Know From Where The Review Came From Ha Haa ,Thanks For The Enlightenment .

Did you really have to quote the entire review, Amarbir?

Aug 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #1,813 of 1,841
I'm actually quite interested in this DAC. 

I'll be using it with my Schiit Asgard and HD 650's with my PC. I've tried doing the PC => AMP (3.5mm plug to RCA) => Headphone combo, and all I heard was static and jittery noises. Will the uDac be beneficial to my setup? All i want is to eliminate the static and jittery noise. 

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #1,814 of 1,841

Quote:

[size=small]Just for the sake of it I even tried a slightly different combo of uDAC as the DAC + EF2A as amp connected via line out of uDAC. Needless to say the sound was amazing .The fullness and wide soundstage of uDAC was there and the cleaner and darker sound of EF2A sounded more like neutral with the warm uDAC.

[/size]
[size=small]Here's what I would prefer personally - uDAC + EF2A > uDAC >> EF2A \Xonar DX .[/size]

[size=small] [size=medium]Rating ?[/size][/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small] How about a 4.2/5. I really can't find any flaw in the product and it actually loses points just for the lack of neutrality. Not that I complain but lot of people might. Lot of best DACs/amps out there do not have the most neutral sound. Also the warm sound signature is basically due to the headphone amp, the line out pretty much sounds neutral (as read in MX5021 impressions).

[size=medium]Final Thoughts :[/size][/size]

[size=small] [/size] [size=small]If you could manage to sit through the long and boring sound impressions you would've realised by now that the uDAC doesn't really have the most neutral sounding headphone out .It has a very good speed and decay in bass attack and a slight boost in the sub bass which gives the bass a good impact. I wouldn’t call it boomy or heavy bass but perfect bass with good authority. The midrange is slightly warm and forward sounding .The treble is very slightly coloured, although extremely detailed .This is the part which gives most of the first time listeners an impression that the uDAC is the best sounding DAC ever. The slight colouration in sound makes you feel that the uDAC belongs to a much higher level. Its very musical and really helps you immerse in the sound , I am saying this because I don't enjoy my D2000 with any other source as much as uDAC.
[/size]

Good impressions - I've said the same here and in other threads (see underlined quotes).  The uDAC is a nice upgrade to the EF2 DAC, and the EF2 amp is a nice upgrade to the uDAC amp, so as a combo they have good synergy.  Your thoughts on the sound signature are pretty spot on.  It's a very enjoyable piece of budget gear, and a good bang for the buck.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,815 of 1,841

Quote:
Good impressions - I've said the same here and in other threads (see underlined quotes).  The uDAC is a nice upgrade to the EF2 DAC, and the EF2 amp is a nice upgrade to the uDAC amp, so as a combo they have good synergy.  Your thoughts on the sound signature are pretty spot on.  It's a very enjoyable piece of budget gear, and a good bang for the buck.

Quote:
[size=small][size=medium]Final Thoughts :[/size][/size]

[/size]

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty pumped up for my new Denons to get here now. Sounds like my uDAC is is the perfect little gizmo to pair with my new phones. I'll give a listen with just the uDAC first, but I got some money burning a hole in my pocket that may need to be spent on that ef2 from hifiman
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back