Apr 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #1,681 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nothing is wrong
biggrin.gif
E5's bass boost sounds heaven on my ears
wink.gif

im now thinking to pair my udac with CrossRoads Edge DeskAmp

Now you've got me to hook it up to my iBasso T1 and use the Bass Boost on taht. I doubt it will be a permanent thing, but it should be fun to play with.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #1,682 of 1,841
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, has anyone tried the uDAC, no amping with BeyerDynamic DT880 250 Ohm yet? are they paired well? cause i'm looking for a good fullsize cans, but cannot afford an decent amp at the same time, may be 1 or 2 months later. Thanks for your respond ^_^

May 4, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #1,683 of 1,841
As a newbie audiophile coming off of Fuze+E5+HD201s, I can't say much, but I *can* say the uDAC+a pair of AD700s was the best $200 I've spent in some time.

I made (and still make) audible happy noises while listening to my music.

May 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #1,685 of 1,841
It's been confirmed that iPAD can support the uDAC via Apple's new digital photo kit ($29, out of stock most Apple stores).   

iPAD <-- Digital photo USB adapter <--uDAC---> S/PDIF, line or headphones.

It would be a fun setup for a 'Touch Screen Based' music player.  I just placed my order for iPAD, however, the USB adapter is out-of-stock locally.  

May 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,688 of 1,841

Quote:
I have a uDAC on a loan now and it's amusing how mid-centric this little thing sounds. Both ends of the spectrum lack definition and details-wise it's so-so. For its asking price, it does a damn fine job though.

I'm curious about what differences you hear using it as a DAC-only via RCA out vs as a headphone amp?  To me the RCA out is more extended sounding and detailed vs the headphone amp; so as a DAC I think it performs a bit better although it's very musical sounding and enjoyable either way, especially for the price.  I can feed the RCA out into my eXStatA amp with some electrostatic headphones and not have the feeling that it is rolled off or lacking details, and that's a very resolving amp and phones.

May 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,689 of 1,841
This nifty little gadget is really shaping up to be an incredible value for the price. It does a great job of driving my Alessandro MS1i's from the headphone out, the midrange is really lush and vivid.

I'm also using them to feed my Audioengine A5 speakers by way of the RCA out to mini input, a noticeable improvement over my laptop headphone out - everything seems to be tightened up considerably.

May 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #1,690 of 1,841

Quote:
I'm curious about what differences you hear using it as a DAC-only via RCA out vs as a headphone amp?  To me the RCA out is more extended sounding and detailed vs the headphone amp; so as a DAC I think it performs a bit better although it's very musical sounding and enjoyable either way, especially for the price.  I can feed the RCA out into my eXStatA amp with some electrostatic headphones and not have the feeling that it is rolled off or lacking details, and that's a very resolving amp and phones.

Larry, to clarify I'm only testing its headphone amp at the moment. My AMB γ2 is on a loan now so we would have to wait a little bit more before I can make a comparison. I will make a follow-up later.

May 26, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,691 of 1,841
Has anyone try the spdif out  yet?

I bought a uDac a few weeks ago. It sounds good. Now I want to use it as an usb to spdif converter to connect to an other device which has spdif input. Do I just turn off the volume control and plug the spdif cable into the yellow rca at the back? Will it output higher bit rate? or still 16/48?

Thanks

May 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #1,692 of 1,841
I and few others have used it as a S/PDIF transport.  Yes, you turn the volume control all the way to the left to activate it.  I find it an incredibly laid back and smooth converter SQ wise, almost to the point of being boring with some headphones (uDAC -> DA100 -> WA6 -> HD650 was soooo smooth but at the same time so... zzzz.).  It certainly does not compare to a converter such as the Hiface in level of detail, speed and soundstage, but it gets the job done and I'd use it over USB implementations in most low/mid tier DACs.

May 27, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #1,694 of 1,841

Quote:
I and few others have used it as a S/PDIF transport.  Yes, you turn the volume control all the way to the left to activate it.  I find it an incredibly laid back and smooth converter SQ wise, almost to the point of being boring with some headphones (uDAC -> DA100 -> WA6 -> HD650 was soooo smooth but at the same time so... zzzz.).  It certainly does not compare to a converter such as the Hiface in level of detail, speed and soundstage, but it gets the job done and I'd use it over USB implementations in most low/mid tier DACs.

Thanks K_19. One more thing, after turning off the volum control, do you use the yellow rca at the back or the normal rca (white/red)? Sorry if it sounds silly, but I am only new to the these audio stuffs:)

May 27, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #1,695 of 1,841
The Coax out is the yellow RCA in the back, and that's what you need to use when using it as a S/PDIF transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back