FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #1,351 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That quote could be for the RCA jacks, maybe the Sabre is directly feeding the RCA jacks when in that mode. However for the headphone jack they probably are using an actual amp.

That's what I was hoping a look inside the unit might reveal! Is it a headphone amp like the Icon as busyx2 states?

I'm just a quizzical kind of guy
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: HeadphoneAddict just crossed posted & he says that it IS a similar head amp circuit to Icon Mobile but with different values - anybody know the amp circuit used in the Icon Mobile, then?

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,352 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend getting a nice amp in the future and connecting it to the uDac to hear the difference.

I'm surprised that we havent seen more impressions of such rigs, given the ability of the uDAC purely as a budget DAC:

- uDAC into Amphora
- uDAC into TTVJ Millet Hybrid
- etc etc

Regardless of the amps you'd like to see in the above list, $99 for a decent DAC has to be one of the bargains of the decade.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #1,353 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you nailed it jkeny. All nuforce did was put an aluminum wrapper around the chip, added the necessary USB interface, coax, a couple of RCAs, a volume control (off Vout), and voila, a new amp/DAC!

(Actually, what you did with the m2Tech HiFace is a much more serious effort
bigsmile_face.gif
IMHO)

EDIT: Re driving the AKG701's, I think 2Vrms, into the right impedance, can be fairly loud.

Whatever they did, it worked, and I think many people are pleased with it.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #1,354 of 1,841
Oh yeah, will a DAC bypass the Foobar settings I've set up? Mine has the Channel mixer + Dolby Headphone which greatly improves the spatial surround sound effect, I wouldn't want it to not be utilized.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #1,355 of 1,841
The dac will not bypass that stuff. Its just like changing the soundcard of your pc. The only thing that would be a problem is if your sampling rate settings are too high for the dac you are using... That you would have to change. The other dsp plugins are fine

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #1,356 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dac will not bypass that stuff. Its just like changing the soundcard of your pc. The only thing that would be a problem is if your sampling rate settings are too high for the dac you are using... That you would have to change. The other dsp plugins are fine

I see. I'm using 24kHz sampling rate, 16-bit. I think the uDAC won't have problems with that setting. Thanks!
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #1,357 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever they did, it worked, and I think many people are pleased with it.

Yeah, that's it. Who cares what they did, the uDAC still sounds great for the money.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #1,358 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I'm using 24kHz sampling rate, 16-bit. I think the uDAC won't have problems with that setting. Thanks!
smile.gif

24 kHz, you're sure? with a sampling rate of 24 kHz the highest sound that can be reproduced is 12 kHz. CD's use 44.1 kHz sampling rate with a 16 bit word length. I've never seen anyone playing music with a 24 kHz sampling rate.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #1,359 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24 kHz, you're sure? with a sampling rate of 24 kHz the highest sound that can be reproduced is 12 kHz. CD's use 44.1 kHz sampling rate with a 16 bit word length. I've never seen anyone playing music with a 24 kHz sampling rate.

Whoops, misread what it says on the PC. My setting is at 24 bit, 44100 Hz. Will I have problems using the uDAC? Sorry.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #1,360 of 1,841
Just set it at 16bit 44khz and youll be fine. Actually the udac will already set it at its right setting when you plug it in. When you take it out, your pc soundcard will remember its own sample rate setting...

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #1,361 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just set it at 16bit 44khz and youll be fine. Actually the udac will already set it at its right setting when you plug it in. When you take it out, your pc soundcard will remember its own sample rate setting...

Okay, thanks sir again!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #1,362 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that we havent seen more impressions of such rigs, given the ability of the uDAC purely as a budget DAC:

- uDAC into Amphora
- uDAC into TTVJ Millet Hybrid
- etc etc

Regardless of the amps you'd like to see in the above list, $99 for a decent DAC has to be one of the bargains of the decade.
happy_face1.gif

Very interested in this also. I may be crazy but would a uDAC + LD MKIII + DT990/600 be a good setup out of a computer?

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #1,363 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando3000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interested in this also. I may be crazy but would a uDAC + LD MKIII + DT990/600 be a good setup out of a computer?

Hello Lando,

You are not crazy by any means in reference to the uDac rockin' the LD. I have already hooked it up to several home amps and have to say, I love this little box.

If you want a looksy- page 65, post #975 & pg 89, post #1329 of this thread...
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #1,364 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Lando,

You are not crazy by any means in reference to the uDac rockin' the LD. I have already hooked it up to several home amps and have to say, I love this little box.

If you want a looksy- page 65, post #975 & pg 89, post #1329 of this thread...
beerchug.gif

That's good to know and thanks for the reply! Looks like I'll pick one up when they're back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back