FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 8, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #511 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by expxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an amp makes the volume louder right?

and a DAC is an external sound card right?

can you clarify the bolded sentence?

and tube amps are garbage, can't wait for the day they get superseded by solid state amps, it is destined to happen

I'd be more than willing to help you if you didn't make ignorant comments, like the ones I bolded for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
As far as the uDAC goes, it's a hell of a bargain. It however does not compete with any number of DAC's in the $400 - $1000 range.

Agreed. I did a comparison to the Keces 151 on my blog and I came up with the same conclusion. It's a good dac but let's not get carried away.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #512 of 1,841
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth again, I need to make one last comment regarding the uDAC's volume setting and it's effect on the amp. I replaced the stock 6J1 tubes in the EF2 with NOS Westinghouse (supposedly made by Mullard) and I can now set the volume out to 100% without any noticeable change in sound quality. Very nice and pure regardless of where the volume on the uDAC is set. No more comments on this issue.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #513 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over the past few days I've been comparing the uDAC -> headphone out -> D5000/SR225i to uDAC -> Millet MiniMAX - same headphones to CIAudio VDA-1/VAC-1 (Modwright) -> Millet MiniMAX -> same headphones. I've gotta say that while the uDAC certainly sounds fantastic both directly from its headphone out AND amped via the RCA outputs through the MiniMAX, it's not as good as the VDA-1. Not at all. The VDA-1/VAC-1 beats the uDAC in detail, smoothness, soundstage, and overall refinement. That being said I think that I could be very happy with my SR225i directly from the headphone output on the uDAC, particularly if I'd never heard it properly amped. The advantage to such a rig would be the bang-for-the-buck factor, which is pretty damned high. Despite the fact the I love my CIAudio/MiniMAX combo, I think that NuForce really has hit a home run with the uDAC at its pricepoint. For a hundred bucks it's a solid little unit that doesn't disappoint.

Do they make the VDA-1 anymore? I only see VDA-2 on their site -- and that looks like a serious piece of equipment (with its own psu) costing 6x more than the uDAC! I would expect a DAC costing 6x more to sound a little better.
tongue.gif
I'm fully expecting my V-Dac to sound at least slightly better, and that's only 3x more. So it's not really a fair comparison, although still useful to know.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #514 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little dissapointing, but not much of a surprise. Dusty @ CIA sure knows how to make a good dac. Nice to see the old VDA-1 holding it's own so well. I owned the VDA-2 for awhile and it was fabulous, I wish it had a more modern spdif reciever and some built in reclocking but maybe that's why it sounds so magical as it omits those things.

Whatever the reasons behind its fantastic sound, the VDA-1 remains a great DAC. As you rightly point out, Dusty knows what he's doing.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #515 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they make the VDA-1 anymore? I only see VDA-2 on their site -- and that looks like a serious piece of equipment (with its own psu) costing 6x more than the uDAC! I would expect a DAC costing 6x more to sound a little better.
tongue.gif
I'm fully expecting my V-Dac to sound at least slightly better, and that's only 3x more. So it's not really a fair comparison, although still useful to know.

I never said it was a fair comparison.
wink.gif
I thought it would be an interesting one though. Many times these FOTM threads for new, entry-level gear can get carried away with claims of "it sounds better than XXX at 10 times its price!" My curiosity about the uDAC got the better of me, I ordered one, was very pleased with it, and decided to put it up against a similar DAC that's something of a benchmark. As I said I wasn't disappointed with the uDAC in this contest. Far from it. But it simply can't hold up to a piece of kit like the VDA-1. Not to squash the enthusiasm here, but a little perspective can be a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI, the VDA-1 is no longer in production. It was superceded by the VDA-2. IIRC the VDA-1 carried an MSRP of $399 so at full price it would only be 4x the cost of the uDAC. The VAC-1 external power supply is optional for both. Purchased by themselves the VDA-1/VDA-2 come with a wallwart power supply.

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #516 of 1,841
Wait, so this is a DAC + AMP, and not just a DAC? (amp is not mentioned on the website afaik) So I don't need an amp after if I wanna use my headphones with my eeepc or something?

I'm tempted to buy one from amazon.com and have it shipped over to UK (shipping isn't too bad at £12.95 really) so it's about £76 which is still good imo. BUT what I wanna know (one of the nuforce guys probably needs to answer this) is whether or not I'll get hit by customs/import stuff or will you guys mark the package as a 'gift' or 'review sample' or something that will help me avoid the extra charges..!? I don't really wanna pay £76 then have to pay another £50 when it arrives in the UK :O

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #517 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never said it was a fair comparison.
wink.gif
I thought it would be an interesting one though. Many times these FOTM threads for new, entry-level gear can get carried away with claims of "it sounds better than XXX at 10 times its price!" My curiosity about the uDAC got the better of me, I ordered one, was very pleased with it, and decided to put it up against a similar DAC that's something of a benchmark. As I said I wasn't disappointed with the uDAC in this contest. Far from it. But it simply can't hold up to a piece of kit like the VDA-1. Not to squash the enthusiasm here, but a little perspective can be a good thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI, the VDA-1 is no longer in production. It was superceded by the VDA-2. IIRC the VDA-1 carried an MSRP of $399 so at full price it would only be 4x the cost of the uDAC. The VAC-1 external power supply is optional for both. Purchased by themselves the VDA-1/VDA-2 come with a wallwart power supply.

All good points, and I agree 100%. I just thought it was important to mention the price difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #518 of 1,841
Just got my udac in the mail. Wow. I have only listened to a few tracks a/b with my laptop(high end hp) headphone out and then with the udac and it just sounds like a sock was pulled off the phones! My current phones are Sony nc7's. There is so much more clarity. Can say about bass/mids/treble as these truly are just cheap headphones. I can't wait until my Shure 840's come in next week! The udac almost makes the Sony's bearable.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #519 of 1,841
Dam, I'm so weak at resisting temptation. Just ordered the last red one in stock
smily_headphones1.gif
can't wait for this little thing to arrive

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #520 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D4 > D10 > Predator (by very small differences - all are good, but the D4/10 have more detailed and spacious DAC)

See above

As per my research, i found out that:
1) The Dac section is almost same in quality in D4 and D10. Am i right ?
2) The Amp section of D4 Mamba is better than that of D10 Cobra.
3) I wish to drive DT150 and GMP 8.300D Headphones. Which would be a better pick (D4 or D10) ?
4) Maximum impedance (Amp Section) Supported by either the D4 or the D10 ?

Thanks a lotttt
happy_face1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #521 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as the uDAC goes, it's a hell of a bargain. It however does not compete with any number of DAC's in the $400 - $1000 range. It's not the end all be all of DAC's, it's just an amazing little starter DAC/Amp. It's a great little DAC/amp, but don't delude yourself into thinking that your buying something that legitimately competes with many more expensive products. We've already heard that the DacMagic is better, and I can guarantee that the Music Hall 25.2 absolutely destroys the uDAC. That doesn't make the uDAC any less of an accomplishment, it's just not a giant killer.

Right, I have been saying that it's main competition seem to be in the $99-$399 range as well. It's not equal to all DAC in that price range, but it's shamed by none. I have not heard all DAC's in that price range or bordering a little above that, but I listed ones I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As per my research, i found out that:
1) The Dac section is almost same in quality in D4 and D10. Am i right ?
2) The Amp section of D4 Mamba is better than that of D10 Cobra.
3) I wish to drive DT150 and GMP 8.300D Headphones. Which would be a better pick (D4 or D10) ?
4) Maximum impedance (Amp Section) Supported by either the D4 or the D10 ?

Thanks a lotttt
happy_face1.gif

1. (as DAC only) I think the D4 USB DAC is a little more resolving than the D10 USB DAC, so closer to the Pico. The D10 optical DAC from Macbook seems very similar to the D4 and Pico via USB. Both iBasso DAC have a low output voltage than Pico DAC, so it makes volume matching and comparisons more difficult. The uDAC output voltage competes with the Pico DAC, so volume matching is easy, and that is where I hear the slight more warm/forward sound of the uDAC and the slightly more extended clearer treble or neutral tone in the Pico DAC. Detail and air, ambience soundstage are excellent in all of them.

2. Yes, D4 amp stock sounds a little better than D10 stock or with the best opamps installed, and is closer to a cross of P-51 and Pico while D10 with stock opamps is closer to Predator. Opamp rolled D10 heads in the direction of P-51, but with less crisp and extended treble, while D4 with better opamps rolled into pretty much equals the P-51. The P-51 is my benchmark for favorite portable amp, and at CanJam I felt the Pico Slim equaled it.

3. I haven't heard any of those headphones.

4. D4 can drive 25-600 ohm, but with 300 ohm or more you pretty much need to use the 9v battery option for the best performance. D10 is not great with my 600 ohm AKG K240M, and not recommended.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #523 of 1,841
It has no opamp stage, so you're better off looking for a dedicated amp for gain purposes.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #524 of 1,841
I just got my uDac but I'm having problems with mine. The sound is horrible, it hisses and cracks and slows down. Its like playing a really bad record on a really bad turn table. I'm using foobar2k I've dried with DS WASAPI and ASIO they all make these noises. Does anyone know what might be the problem?
I'm using the headphone out so its straight form PC> UDAC> HP

Edit: OK I tried it on another laptop using foobar and asio and it plays perfect? Whats up with that? I'd rather not use this laptop as it is older and slower. Does anyone know what would be causing it to glitch and jitter like crazy on my laptop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back