FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 6, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #436 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChunkO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, total noob post here..

but the uDAC is a Amp/DAC combo correct? Would it make more sense to buy the uDAC (to be used with my Macbook Pro and my Ultrasone HFI-780s as a desktop amp) or buy a used Icon (the Icon is a Amp/DAC combo too, right?)..?

It really depends on what features you need. The Icon headphone amp will have a little more power, and it has 2 analog and 1 USB inputs, along with 12 watt speaker out and preamp out. You can hook up an upgraded source to the analog inputs and the Icon amp will sound even better. But, the uDAC headphone amp sounds as good and the USB DAC is more detailed and spacious - so you wont need to worry about a source upgrade but there is no analog input or speaker output. Either of these is a better choice than the Icon Mobile.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #437 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about with the HE-5?
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]Don't tell me uDACs not the best of those compared!!! [/size]

I posted about that either here or in the HE-5 impressions thread (or the head-direct MOT thread). But I don't recall what I compared, too tired right now...
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #438 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on what features you need. The Icon headphone amp will have a little more power, and it has 2 analog and 1 USB inputs, along with 12 watt speaker out and preamp out. You can hook up an upgraded source to the analog inputs and the Icon amp will sound even better. But, the uDAC headphone amp sounds as good and the USB DAC is more detailed and spacious - so you wont need to worry about a source upgrade but there is no analog input or speaker output. Either of these is a better choice than the Icon Mobile.

Gotcha, thanks alot. Really just looking to up the sound quality on my new phones so I bet the uDAC will do the trick. The uDAC comes with all the stuff I need to hook up to my macbook pro and such right?
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #439 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChunkO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotcha, thanks alot. Really just looking to up the sound quality on my new phones so I bet the uDAC will do the trick. The uDAC comes with all the stuff I need to hook up to my macbook pro and such right?
beerchug.gif

Yah.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #440 of 1,841
How would the uDAC be with Sennheiser HD 555s connected? Would it drive them ok? Currently using them connected directly to my netbook with no amp and I'm hoping the uDAC might make a noticeable difference to the sound playing my lossless tracks.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #441 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thing looks great. I'm looking into picking one up to compliment my EF2 and it seems a few people in this thread are using the same combination as I am. So far I have learned that I should not feed 100% volume into my EF2, but other than that, how does the combo sound? Is it a worthwhile improvement?

I think it's a worthwhile improvement. I'm going back to my original statement that you don't want to use full volume to feed the EF2. Aside from that, the soundstage is improved. I think it's probably the first taste I've gotten in what kind of soundstage is possible with a headphone. I'm using Grado SR325is, so I would like to hear the combo with another headphone noted for having a good soundstage to see what it can really do in this area. The sound with the uDac has greater clarity (less veiled), a slightly colder more analytical tone (still very pleasant and musical though), and a little more forward presentation compared to the EF2's internal DAC. I think it's a nice combo, especially when you figure the price of the EF2 + uDac combined is less than that of comparable DAC's by themselves.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #442 of 1,841
I'm finally getting around to upgrading my computer music. M-Audio AV 40s and red uDAC on order from Amazon; should be here by Monday. In the process of making lossless versions of my CDs. Can't afford much more right now, but will likely want some better headphones soon to plug into the uDAC. Currently have Koss UR-40s, which I got at Radio Shack a few years ago for $50. Recommendations? I'll likely need to stay under $100, though I'm sure that really means $200, if there are good reasons to splurge a little more.

The uDAC still has no customer reviews on Amazon's US site. I'll add one after I've listened to mine for a while, but unlike many of you, I have nothing with which to compare it.

Thanks, guys, for making my USB DAC choice, in a very large field, much easier. A few days ago, I didn't even know there WAS a USB DAC component. Had audiophile components in the late seventies and eighties (Bryston with B&W DM7s, then PS Elite with ITC 1s and Sony CDP-x55ES & AR turntable + moving coil), but good music somehow got supplanted by the web. Glad to start fixing that.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #444 of 1,841
I need some advice. Right now I'm listening to Etymotic HF-2s and a pair of Sony MDR-V600s I randomly bought about eight years ago through the onboard audio on my motherboard. Obviously, some upgrades are in order on the source side.

Previously, I was looking to spend like $600 on a DAC/amp and a pair of headphones. Tentatively I was leaning towards an Audio-gd Compass (now I'd be buying a FUN) and AKG K701s.

Now, I'm wondering how the uDAC here compares to the DAC circuitry on the Compass. I'm considering buying a uDAC now and using it with my HF-2s and then a few months down the line buying a dedicated headphone amp (Audio-gd C-2C maybe?) to connect to the uDAC along with a serious pair of ~$250 cans.

Can anyone help me on the pros and cons of this? Are there technical specifications I should be looking at the compare the uDAC to the Compass' DAC (since the FUN is not yet available)? I'm new to this.

If it matters, I listen almost exclusively to rock, as you can see from the last.fm link in my signature.

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #445 of 1,841
If you are planning to move up further levels in this hobby eventually then it's always a good idea to purchase the DAC and amp separately, IMO. It gives you more flexibility as to which components to upgrade and match, etc. I'm not sure about the DAC component of the Compass as I've never had it or heard it, but uDAC's ESS9022 should compete with anything in the $100-400 price range, which I'm assuming includes the Compass. With rock it should be great as its slightly upfront midrange can be really beneficial for that genre. From my own experience, its compatibility with K701 even solely out of just the uDAC is very good IMO as it powers it to very respectable levels with good synergy... but depending on your taste of rock K701 may not be the best of choice in headphones (with acoustic rock, yes, but with hard/grunge etc, not so great).

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #446 of 1,841
So it sounds like this is going to be a great purchase regardless.

I'll also use it just as a DAC to connect to my Onkyo TX-SR606 and speakers over RCA, as opposed to RCA straight from my computer (used to be a digital connection but right now I don't have a long enough cable).

I'm far from certain on what cans I'm going to get. Thanks for the input.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #447 of 1,841
I would *definitely* go for uDAC + C-2C over the compass. I saw in another thread where kingwa just lowered the price of the C-2C to $300, so if that's the sound you're going for it's a no-brainer. Another benefit like K_19 says is that even if you don't end up getting or liking the C-2C, you can just keep the uDAC and get another amp.

But I also agree that if rock is your primary genre, the K701 is not the best phone for you (get grados
wink.gif
). And the C-2C is probably not the best amp, either. C-2C is way too flat to lend any excitement to rock, and is best for classical, jazz, and acoustic, imho. For rock, going K701 and C-2C is going in the completely wrong direction (again imho). Grados + uDAC - now, that would be a little bit more on track.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #448 of 1,841
I've also been considering Grados, although I'm concerned about the apparently extreme sound leakage (I realize that K701s are open too, but I seem to get the impression that there is somewhat less leakage). Is it actually that bad?

What amp would you recommend in the ~$300 price range? I mostly listen to indie rock, classic rock like Springsteen and the Stones, and non-Nashville country with acoustic guitars and clean electrics. Not much metal/grunge/hard stuff. Clarity is MUCH more important to me than bass and attack.

(derailing uDAC discussion a bit, sorry)

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #449 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by prozach1576 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been considering Grados, although I'm concerned about the apparently extreme sound leakage (I realize that K701s are open too, but I seem to get the impression that there is somewhat less leakage). Is it actually that bad?

What amp would you recommend in the ~$300 price range? I mostly listen to indie rock, classic rock like Springsteen and the Stones, and non-Nashville country with acoustic guitars and clean electrics. Not much metal/grunge/hard stuff. Clarity is MUCH more important to me than bass and attack.

(derailing uDAC discussion a bit, sorry)

Yes, start a new thread. But if the reviews of the uDAC so far are accurate, definitely keep that on your short list. Sounds like the perfect DAC for rock, and wow, what a price. With grados you might not even need an amp, at least to start out.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #450 of 1,841
I currently have only my onboard soundcard (realtek). My headphones are M-audio Q40. I use them mainly for gaming and movies. Now I was going to buy the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard/headphone amp, but I also got suggested looking at this Nuforce uDAC.

Which one will give me better sound? If I go for the Nuforce uDAC I'll only have my onboard soundcard, would that make a difference? If I get the STX, I would also get a new soundcard along with it's headphone amp. Remember that main use will be movies and games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back