FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 23, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #256 of 1,841
I received my uDac from The Mac Group on Mon. I pre-ordered on Wed. at $99, add our favorite taxes and selected the $10 shipping. Price has since gone up to $109.

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #257 of 1,841
Jason, when will you be getting more stocked in your Amazon store? Will the new stock be $109 or still at the $99 price? Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #258 of 1,841
Just got mind today. Ordered it the night of the 20th. Got a lucky break with their distribution offices being right below me (CA->WA). Holy balls. I can't compare with anything else, as this is my first amp or DAC, but it sounds really good. The clarity does not seem all that dramatically improved, but the spatial representation and separation is dramatically changed with my 271mkii. I will hit up a longer review in a bit, but this amp seems to have plenty of power straight out of a USB. I feel that this is probably THE product for the college audiophile on the go. I am going to be able to just pop this in my backpack and head for the library. Props to nuforce on the quick shipping and a great product.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #259 of 1,841
It appears that the Nuforce Amazon store still has Red uDAC's available at $99 US, the $109 price is a Canadian store which considering the current mid-market exchange rate is 1.05 $109 Canadian is not really out of line.

I recommended the uDAC to my Brother.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #260 of 1,841
So I received my Male A to Male B usb adapter today, and after some back to back testing, honestly - I couldn't really tell much of a difference. However, I could reduce the latency in ASIO4ALL a bit more without crackling, so it seemed to have some impact. However, I really couldn't tell enough difference. Could be the headphones aren't resolved enough, or my ears aren't good enough - or the uDac is just so good it can properly handle jitter/timing.

Either way, I'll continue testing with different songs, maybe I'll find something different.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #261 of 1,841
the sabre chip has some of the best jitter reduction/correction available, it makes sense the improvement will be minimal.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #263 of 1,841
I ordered a red uDac and got a black one. I just don't know if I care enough to swap it out. I like the quality so far. The hp amp isn't as powerful as my LDI+ but I never expected it to be. The dac itself sounds nice. I like the forward presentation of it. This will make a perfect companion to my 125s when I'm traveling. I need more time to thoroughly compare it to my Keces.

Suprisingly it didn't sound good with my NE-M7s. But maybe because I choose to listen to it first with my Grados and Denons first.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #264 of 1,841
have not got around to ordering it yet, i've been waiting for more impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MikeW,
hows youre udac against your modded valab?

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #265 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a red uDac and got a black one. I just don't know if I care enough to swap it out. I like the quality so far. The hp amp isn't as powerful as my LDI+ but I never expected it to be. The dac itself sounds nice. I like the forward presentation of it. This will make a perfect companion to my 125s when I'm traveling. I need more time to thoroughly compare it to my Keces.

Suprisingly it didn't sound good with my NE-M7s. But maybe because I choose to listen to it first with my Grados and Denons first.

Pls report back if you find that your uDac improves with burn in

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #267 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pls report back if you find that your uDac improves with burn in

I've had my uDAC for a month now and I don't think there has been much effect with burn in. Seems to perform as is right out of the box, which I've really enjoyed.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #268 of 1,841
Just got mine today. The unit itself is small and sturdy. One problem is the knob isn't parallel to the front face plate, so sometimes it rubs against the front face plate when adjusting volume.

Sound wise it is definitely better than my onboard card.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #269 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dojomoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason, when will you be getting more stocked in your Amazon store? Will the new stock be $109 or still at the $99 price? Thanks in advance!

More Black uDAC should arrive around Jan 15. He is referring to TheMacGroup's price in Canada, not Nuforce's online store price. It has been $99 and there is no plan to raise the price. We love it when so many people are thrilled with the value and quality we offered.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #270 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got mine today. The unit itself is small and sturdy. One problem is the knob isn't parallel to the front face plate, so sometimes it rubs against the front face plate when adjusting volume.

Sound wise it is definitely better than my onboard card.

This is probably due to production tolerance issue with your unit. Just pull the knob out (slowly with some force) slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back