FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Dec 18, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #211 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a big deal I guess for $10.

HPA have you tried the uDAC with any non IEM phones? (I wonder how much it would improve the Shure SRH840.)

I tried it with HD600 and HD800 and liked it, and found there to be enough power to keep me happy, even if less than a desktop amp. I tried it with HiFiMan HE-5 orthodynamics and it sounds good but could use more power. But those are inefficient headphones and like a lot of current.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #213 of 1,841
Just got my RE0 an hour ago. This is my first true audiophile setup. I love it! Everything is so much clearer. Since I bought the RE0 used on ebay, I reckon it already has some hours burned into it. It might improve after a week or so. I wish I could say more, but that's all for now. Thanks to HeadphoneAddict, Mark, and other RE0 owners who posted their impressions. These people all steered toward these purchases; and so far, no buyer's remorse!

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #214 of 1,841
My uDAC came today. With my Westone 3's it sounds noticeably better than my Apple iPod Classic running the same Apple Lossless files.

Running the uDAC's RCA outs to my Rotel RA820 Integrated Amp driving B&W DM601 SII speakers (My Office speaker rig) it sounds a little tizzy right now. I'm leaving it play the Westone's to break-in a little. I don't have any full size headphones with 1/8" plugs to try, and I don't have an adapter.

This weekend I'll compare the uDAC with my usual Desktop amp a Headroom Portable Desktop with the premium modules. The Headroom also has a DAC, but it supports USB and SPDIF inputs. Other than that I know nothing about the Portable Desktops DAC.

My initial impression is that if you want an inexpensive USB DAC/Headphone amp the uDAC is a no brainer. If the uDAC beats my Headroom Portable Desktop amp then my Brother is going to get the Headroom for Xmas, if it doesn't then he'll get the uDAC.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #215 of 1,841
Ordered Wednesday evening... NuForce shipped Thursday FedEx.... arrived this morning!

Not much tme with it yet, but I can say this is absolutely "bang for the buck!" Very impressed so far... and don't anticipate that changing much.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #216 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm positive this uDac just redefined price/performance ratio; bang for buck DAC/Amp combo. Been listening now for hours, and it just sounds so good. I ordered a USB A male to B male adapter to see if dropping the USB cord altogether merits any improvement in SQ.

Since it is a digital signal, I would imagine that it would be lossless regardless of cable length, would it not? Headfiers, correct me if I am wrong.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #218 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Spitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since it is a digital signal, I would imagine that it would be lossless regardless of cable length, would it not? Headfiers, correct me if I am wrong.

Check around this forum and computer audiophile; many users report a difference in SQ with changing USB cables due to timing reasons / improper shielding on generic USB cables. I'm a bit of a skeptic myself, but for .79cents, I'm not opposed to trying it.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #222 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Spitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No, digital signal suffers error when traveling through distance or bad quality cable. You can see it clearly comparing cheap HDMI (the image gets snowy as the distant increases) with better ones.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #223 of 1,841
Hi jasonl,
How long is the included usb cable and is it just ordinary cable or something of at least belkin gold quality? I was wondering whether I needed to order another cable right now before the dac arrives.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #225 of 1,841
80$ for a cable for a 99$ dac. Hmm dosent sound like a good value. I'd rather put the 80$ towards a higher end dac to begin with. Although this udac does compete out of it's class. Belkin gold can be had for 5 bucks on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back