FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Feb 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #1,246 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by vokain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that's a NICE table!
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL I hope you were joking because I got it from Ikea for $20.
dt880smile.png

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #1,247 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880smile.png

Thought so :wink:

But IKEA things always look nice!

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #1,248 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880smile.png

I was about to say that it looked like my the Ikea table in my kitchen.

It does the job.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #1,250 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm... /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question is what should you do if you want more channels? It seems that most people are buying for desktops while I have a laptop. What do you do for 5.1 or 7.1 sound?

Get more µDACs, obviously!

In Linux, at least, you can chain together multiple audio devices to create a single surround-sound output device. It requires some black-magic ALSA hackery but it's certainly possible.

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #1,251 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm... /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question is what should you do if you want more channels? It seems that most people are buying for desktops while I have a laptop. What do you do for 5.1 or 7.1 sound?

If you want 5.1 or 7.1, go with Creative Lab, they have been offering multi-channel dac/decoder for years. But the sound quality will not be as good as our pure 2 channel USB DAC.

uDAC is targeting people with laptop since it is USB powered and compact, ideal for traveling.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #1,252 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr-teatime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I struggle with the same unpleasant phenomenon. Already posted it here on the NuForce support forum, but no decent insights yet.

What is the volume setting on the computer?

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #1,253 of 1,841
I think the max volume from computer is best but not sure about udac volume. I'm using about 50-75 volume. Anything above that sometimes causes clipping.

Feb 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #1,254 of 1,841
For those of you complaining about channel in-balance at the beginning of the dial, that is a common problem with all amps with an analog pot. Sometimes you get lucky and one matches well all the way down to 0. But more times than not I've seen one channel start before the other. But they quickly equalize with a little bit more volume.

As long as the channels quickly line up and stay matched going up, it is not defective. I mean yes, nuforce could sort/measure/bin through all the pots they buy and only use the very best ones. But that is not cost effective and would raise the price of the udac I'm sure.

I think many users getting the udac are used to computer sound cards which controls volume without an analog pot. I can tell you even high end amps with expensive pots have this matching issue at the lowest volumes.

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #1,255 of 1,841
I was just about to post the same thing as bcwang.

The differences in signal attenuation along the resistance track of the potentiometer are not constant. As you turn down the volume (more attenuation), the resistive differences for a single channel accumulate along the track but also potentially average out. Some portions of the track may be more or less resistive than other parts. The averaging comes from the fact that resistance is additive as you move along the resistive track.

The difference in volume between channels and also along the resistive track for a single channel are not linear or constant because we cannot predict where this mismatch is occurring. As you turn up the volume, the audio signal will come to a point where it is no longer being attenuated by the mismatched section of resistive track. As a result, it's not that the mismatch is still there and you can't hear it. The mismatch is no longer in the signal path and thus, it really is not there anymore. At full volume (unattenuated), there should be little to no resistive track in the signal path and thus no mismatch between channels. As you turn up the volume, the mismatched sections start to "decumulate" (if there is such a word). On the other hand, as you turn down the volume, there is more resistive track and thus the defects accumulate but start to average out for a single channel (think of the left channel as dollar cost averaging a volatile stock and the right channel as buying a big blue chip and the length of the resistive track as Time. After 10 years both stocks are matched and have the same gains and are at the same point, but one took a bumpy ride to get there while the other had smooth consistent gains. From an audio standpoint, we don't care about the bumps, just that we are at the same point at a usable point on the track. ). Because pots used in audio are on a log scale, tolerancing them between channels and along every point on the pot's travel can be impossibly difficult and costly.

For example:
You hear a 3 db mismatch difference when the pot is almost fully attenuated (lowest volume). That doesn't mean the 3 db mismatch will be at the 50% point as well. If that resistive mismatch happens to occur due to mismatch at the 75% point on the track, then you will need to move the volume pot past the 75% mark to not have it in the signal path and thus not "hear" it anymore unless of course the resistive differences average out at various points along the track at which point there would be really be zero mismatch. However, it's difficult to tell where the mismatch is on the track without equipment.

How do you maximize the likelihood that your audio signal will not pass through a mismatched section of resistive track?

1) Turn the volume on the DAC to full volume (the signal is passing through a minimum of resistive track).
2) Adjust your external amp to an appropriate volume.
3) Turn the volume on the DAC down until you do not hear clipping.

If you are using high sensitivity, low-Z headphones, you will need a better toleranced potentiometer. That's where stepped attenuators/pots come in, where different whole resistors are used for each "step" in the mechanism.

That was repetitive, long, and really hard for me to word and will probably contain a few false parses or errors, but I hope I was clear and that it helps someone.

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #1,256 of 1,841
What shipper will be used to ship to Switzerland? There are vast differences (like up to factor 3 in my experience, at which point a 100USD device works out to be closer to a 200USD one
frown.gif
on the customs administration fees they charge so this is quite important...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back