FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Nuforce uDAC USB DAC AMP with line out and S/PDIF out
Jan 19, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #751 of 1,841
So far in my second desktop rig, I'm still very impressed with how effectively these can amp the ultra-picky K701's on their own. After listening to it more from more or less the same software setup as my primary rig (Foobar -> WASAPI; my primary rig is Foobar -> ASIO but its still bitperfect), it's honestly not TOO far away from my Pico -> WA6. Soundstage is still huge (though not as big as the main setup obviously), it has plenty of detail and most surprisingly I don't really feel any lack of power by the amping like I did with some previous rigs (like my old DAC Straight -> EF1 rig). Best of all, I feel the uDAC brings better balance to weird K701 mids, by bringing out the low mids more forward to make it more even with their usual peaky upper mids... and this alone almost makes me prefer the K701 on the uDAC alone. Purely speaking performance wise my primary rig does sound a bit better with the K701, but uDAC is honestly not too far away from it and even does some things more correctly. Ideally, I'd LOVE to have the uDAC as an alternate source for the WA6 for my primary rig too but I only have one... it almost makes me want to buy a second one!

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #752 of 1,841
Can any of you guys list out some portable amps that pair well with the uDAC?

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #753 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any of you guys list out some portable amps that pair well with the uDAC?

I would pair the uDAC with as neutral an amp as I could. Not sure what that would be in the portable realm - pico? Or is that kind of warm, also? I felt it was too warm with my RM-1, which itself is on the warmer side.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #754 of 1,841
What is this supposed to be like?

Occasionally, my music will stutter, stop playing, and then continue playing. It only lasts 3-5 seconds, and it's once in awhile (about three times now that I've had the DAC for almost a week). Not sure if its some type of power surge or if it's the uDAC.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #755 of 1,841
I've had problems with several USB DACs skipping/clicking on my Windows machines, try switching USB ports and avoid putting it on a USB hub...

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #756 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In anticipation to my long wait... can someone make me feel good by saying it mates well with the hd600/580
biggrin.gif
hehehe Larry?

Worth getting an HD 600 if...

Read all my posts there, as I get more detailed up to my post last night..

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #759 of 1,841
Hi,

I ordered the uDac today.. But then I found this thread and it made me cancel my order. The mention of the uDac being very forward and agressive sounding scares me..

I'm looking for something, not harsh at all, that I can listen to for a long time, with minimal fatigue. Maybe I should shell out for the iBasso D4 instead?

(I have Sennheiser HD-380's and Goldring ns-1000's and listen mainly at low to medium sound levels)

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #760 of 1,841
uDAC is neither overly forward or aggressive. IMO there is a slight lower mid emphasis which contributes to the forwardness and warmness, but I wouldn't call it very aggressive... far from it. I do not find it fatiguing at all; as an example, I could probably listen to both my RS1 and K701 out of my uDAC/WA6 or just uDAC much longer than through my Pico/WA6, which is IMO more aggressive with upper mids/highs.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #761 of 1,841
Can't believe I haven't been here for almost 3 years and I just dumped a crapload of cash cause I got back into the hobby...

Purchased the EF2 and just ordered this today. Will be mating these two together
smily_headphones1.gif

I freaken can't wait for this setup! After literally 100 pages of reading mostly useful posts, it's pretty nuts what one can obtain for under 300 dollars (shipped) if the proper research is done.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #762 of 1,841
Are you saying the uDAC can drive the K701 very well?almost as good as your WA6?
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far in my second desktop rig, I'm still very impressed with how effectively these can amp the ultra-picky K701's on their own. After listening to it more from more or less the same software setup as my primary rig (Foobar -> WASAPI; my primary rig is Foobar -> ASIO but its still bitperfect), it's honestly not TOO far away from my Pico -> WA6. Soundstage is still huge (though not as big as the main setup obviously), it has plenty of detail and most surprisingly I don't really feel any lack of power by the amping like I did with some previous rigs (like my old DAC Straight -> EF1 rig). Best of all, I feel the uDAC brings better balance to weird K701 mids, by bringing out the low mids more forward to make it more even with their usual peaky upper mids... and this alone almost makes me prefer the K701 on the uDAC alone. Purely speaking performance wise my primary rig does sound a bit better with the K701, but uDAC is honestly not too far away from it and even does some things more correctly. Ideally, I'd LOVE to have the uDAC as an alternate source for the WA6 for my primary rig too but I only have one... it almost makes me want to buy a second one!

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #763 of 1,841
Has anyone done any gaming with the uDAC? Will I run into any problems? Just confused with all the ASIO and DirectSound talk. And I read that you cant control the volume with the windows mixer and mabey that will cause problems with games?

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #764 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by sune /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I ordered the uDac today.. But then I found this thread and it made me cancel my order. The mention of the uDac being very forward and agressive sounding scares me..

I can't believe you canceled the order cos of reading the impressions. Nuforce does have 30-day return policy and it never hurts to give it a try.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #765 of 1,841
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe you canceled the order cos of reading the impressions. Nuforce does have 30-day return policy and it never hurts to give it a try.

Well, the uDAC *is* forward, punchy, mid-centric and relatively aggressive - maybe he simply doesn't want that kind of sound. I agree in principle in giving something a try, but if he knows in advance that he's looking for something more laid back I don't think he should order it just because it's a FOTM.

btw, when I say "aggressive," I not referring to any specific frequency, but to the overall presentation. I didn't know what other word to use, but that seemed pretty close. It's like if all the frequencies on your DAP EQ are set at 0, and it goes to 5/-5, then ramp up all the freqs to 2 or 3. That's kind of like how it sounds to me, and what I mean by 'aggressive' - it's like its EQ is boosted across the board a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back