First impressions: eXStatA DIY Electrostatic amp
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
Caveat: I am an unabashed advocate for this design, having originally asked the designer (well, and Pete Millett) for a different electrostat amp approach more than a year ago. While others have driven the exact specs, I have watched this evolve from inception, and prototyped every step, and yes, with some bitter disappointment along the way.

Further disclosure: I also have another design that is more complicated (with greater expectations and ambitions) that will get equal attention upon completion.

The eXStatA is a new electrostatic amp design from Alex Cavalli that was born of the desire for a DIY Stax compatible amp that bettered the options available currently, while being less intimidating to build. For those who don't venture into the DIY forum often, the build thread may give insight not found on the website.

Cost NOT an evaluation criteria for this review, so no quarter is being granted for cost considerations.

I have been withholding this review through several iterations of this amp as there were things that, IMHO, needed resolution before exposing it to the community at large. Anyone who watches the DIY forum is well aware that there is a new electrostatic amp, quite capable of driving all stats, pro and regular bias, with a superior price to performance ratio. And, in the same performance bands as anything up to the (quite arbitrary) $2000 price point, and possibly beyond. All my concerns have been addressed with the latest iteration.

This design is buildable by intermediate level DIY builders, without any lead time for fab, or exotic parts. While there is still a product maturity curve at work, I have a working unit now that proves this is at the threshhold of absolute viability. Extended Beta is in process, but should validate these findings over the next couple of months.

There are, as of now, the Winter Solstice, approximately ten units functioning and being used. Bits and pieces of impressions are here and there, but I hope the concentration will be added here. Two intermediate prototypes were at the Houston meet in October, and feedback there made for one last major change to address concerns to meet ORIGINAL spec, NOT to move to a substantially higher level of performance.

Is it the best stat amp ever? NO, at least not yet, and nor does it aspire to be. The technical specs (1000Vpp) leave it shy of other designs (BH at 1800Vpp, for instance), though the difference in cost is a significant multiple (in my case almost 5x) and tubes are definitely an order of magnitude or worse. Only head to head comparisons, which have NOT been done, will answer those questions, and is beyond my capability to answer currently. But, those answers are coming within the next 30 days, especially after the DFW meet on Jan 23rd.

That said, the relative merits of a stat amp are NOT measured by Vpp alone.

The eXStata design has both Solid State and Hybrid (tube) flavors, where I strongly favor tubes. There is a single tube type, the 6s4a, which runs $5-10, well, in realistic transactions (and yes many eBay vendors want more, along with their $5 shipping). Tube Depot lists these tubes at $3.95, which is what I estimate the market to be. There are a LOT of different construction types, but no data yet if the design is sensitive to tube variations, or not.

Chain definition:
Source: Cambridge Azur 840c
Phones: Sennheiser he60 (reterminated with an Amphenol silver Stax plug - no adapter)
Cables: APS silver cored copper XLR
Power cords: Quail

Source material:
NIN - Pretty Hate Machine
Radiohead - Amnesiac, OK Computer
Tool - Lateralus, 10000 Days, Aenima
Allison Krause - New Favorite
Rhianna - Good Girl Gone Bad
Godsmack
Marcy Playground
Hoobastank - The Reason
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Oasis - Stop the Clocks
Beck - Sea Change
Mudvayne - "Fall Into Sleep" (single)
Brandenburg Concertos

Listening Impressions:
Superior instrument seperation
Superior vocal seperation
Superb soundstaging (instrument and vocal positioning)
Outstanding resolution and presentation of microdetail
Crisp and precise percussion - NO sibilance (not that I am sensitive to it anyway)
Bass resonance, timbre, punch and pitch - reproduces lower registers accurately, with all the transients expected in bass notes - not just "something 'down there"
Balanced presentation from top to middle to bottom - nothing traded off at other spectrum's expense
No clipping (this was an issue with the intermediate proto builds without the ccs on certain Tool cuts, but a RARE occurrance)
Plenty of gain driving he60 (TBD with OII)
Emotionally involving - not a truth for all 'accurate' stat amps
Just a fun amp

Weaknesses:
None yet defined

Summary:
Here is a new electrostatic amp, superior to the commonly available Stax amps, and most other designs I have heard or owned to date. It was meant to perform on par (or better) than the venerable SRM-T1 and it's lesser ilk (srm-252, srm-323, Sennheiser hev-70) and even challenge the higher end units, and has, IMHO acheived this design goal. It is definitely on par with the best new production Stax amp, and in the same discussion with all the non-Stax amps I have heard (Woo, KGSS, KGBH, HEV-90 and ES-1). From memory, the ES-1 and BH may be "better", but it would be a split decision depending on the judges, and criteria for measurement.

This is a fun, extremely capable amp. It uses cheap, readily available tubes (6s4a), and is an easy build as electrostatic amps go. Though it does not aspire to be the best electrostatic amp, it is in the same conversation nonetheless.

This is an answer to a long desired intermediate level DIY stat amp that raises the performance of even modest stats (STAX 202, Stax 303), and the ideal driver for he60 and Koss ESP950. For OII owners, the jury is still out, mainly because I have not yet heard this version with them.

Two thumbs up - even if I am the most partial advocate for this amp.

Money shots:

exstata.jpg

eXStata3.jpg

eXStata2.jpg

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 38
Great impressions pabbi1, it's good to get some solid impressions from a DIYer, bringing into light some really great products. The amp also looks fabulous.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 38
Wow, eager waiting for its verdict upon O II

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 38
I don't have a full review as I don't have a full functional headset - is 1-2weeks out. Here are some links to my initial impressions using a pair of SR-303's with one driver that is half to 3/4 volume, the other is fine.

number1
number2

This amp has a very exciting, I can't wait for more! More to come later.

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 38
I'm bad at reviewing headphones and worse at reviewing amps. I quickly run out of meaningful things to say.

I was one of the people who asked for this amp, perhaps the one that asked most openly, and in some ways set the expectations for cost and complexity.

It wasn't so much that i asked for compromise as an amp designed with a firm grip on reality. Too many designs are ambitious on a level that makes them daunting for most DIYers, and at the time none of them were available as professionally printed boards.

What few truly simple amp designs out there were either proof of concept designs that performed poorly or were accompanied by a power supply design that more than outweighed the simplicity or low-cost of their main circuit. Many of the designs available to the public require parts that are long out of production, and several of those designs are represented in an incomplete fashion on the internet - missing utterly critical compensation capacitors, for example.

If i were an EET, none of that would scare me. But I'm not an EET. I'm a software QA engineer who dabbles with solder. Most DIYers aren't EETs either.

The resulting amps - Alex's two eXStatA designs - perform far beyond my expectations.

I don't own any other electrostatic amps, aside from the E/90 that came with my ESP/950. I can't draw direct comparisons to the SRM-1 mk2 and ES-1 i heard at a meet well over a year ago.

I can mostly just echo Pabbi1's sentiments. I don't have a lot to compare it to, but i love these amps. I have both the solid state and hybrid prototypes, and if i had to choose between them i have no idea how I'd make that decision.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say you favor the hybrid version over the solid state as well or...?

Wish i could say. They're fairly close, and both do a couple things better than the other. I don't really anticipate selling either of them.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 38
I purchased a prototype SS eXStata. (Thank you Al!). I will compare them with the SRD7mk2.
Both are connected to an old PowerBook G4 running Leopard (yes, it can be done) via USB to a Gamma2 DAC.
I listened with a Stax Sigma Pro.
The SRD7Mk2 was powered by a Yamaha amplifier. I have a vintage Kenwood and it sounds a little better than the Yamaha, but not by much.

I compared them with the following music:
1-Bach’s various Cantatas and Canons. (my favorite music).
2-Beethoven’s 5th and 3rd Symphonies with Daniel Barenboim and Berliner Staatskapelle
3-Braham’s Cello Sonata with Yo Yo Ma
4-Yo Yo Ma’s Songs of Joy and Peace
5-Cecilia Bartoli’s Vivaldi’s Album
6-Weezer’s Red Album
7-Jack Johnson’s In Between Dreams
8-Kiri Tekenawa’s Kiri Sidetracks

Detail: eXStata > SRD7mk2. The amount and clarity of detail is definitely better with the eXStata. You can hear different instruments with more clarity.

Bass: eXStata > SRD7mk2. Punchier bass, more defined, louder. By contrast, the SRD7mk2 sounds little thinner in sound, not as full.

Mids: eXStata > SRD7mk2. I was very happy with the transformer box (and still am), but the midrange is better, the sound more involving with the eXStata.

Treble: eXStata > SRD7mk2. No sibilance with either of them. Both are great. I do hear bells and cymbals better with the eXStat though. Keep in mind the Sigma Pros are not the best for extended treble range. Nevertheless, the treble is there, and more detailed with the eXStata.

Neutrality: eXStata > SRD7mk22. Kiri, Bartoli and Diana Krall sound so natural! The SP’s excel with voices, and the eXStata brings them up another level when compared with transformer box. I know the SP’s have been described as having at times a booming bass, but their overall sound is very enjoyable. These are not the most neutral headphones. They do however have a lovely sound and huge soundstage, which makes them quite enjoyable without causing listening fatigue, at the expense of some lack of detail and roll off at the extremes.

Power: eXStata > SRD7mk2. I am able to increase volume without distortion on the eXStata all the way up, too loud for my ears. With the SRD7mk2, I could increase it even further but was afraid of damage my phones. The eXStata has all the volume I need and I hear absolutely no clipping. Hearing damage would be expected at higher volumes.

Soundstage: eXStata > SRD7mk2. The Sigma Pros have such a huge soundstage, they sound great with both, but the eXStata wins again.

In summary: The eXStats are here to stay. The SRD7mk2 will be my backup, and won’t be in the market anytime soon (unless I get another eXStata
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

On a side note, although I don’t have the SRM-006t anymore, the eXStata has more power. By memory, I think the treble may not be as extended and the bass not as punchy with the 006t.

90% of my music is Classical, 10% Jazz and others, for the most part acoustic. Electrostatics excel with that kind of music.
Don’t listen to Rock enough to express an intelligent opinion. I might try some more when I get a pair of O2’s.

This review describes the way I hear it, and of course, yours may vary.
The eXStata offers so much for such little money and hopefully it will increase the electrostatic fan base.
Contratulations to the designer, thanks to all the builders. Hopefully, several more runs will be available as word of mouth spreads.
And thank you Pabbi1.
I love Stats!
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #11 of 38
looks amazing pabbi1
beerchug.gif
!!!!

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 38
Nice work (very clean and intelligent routing of the wiring), congrats on the completed amp and chassis Pabbi. The wood casing is very cool indeed. Our musical tastes are very similar going by your play list.

What volume pot did you use ? Looks like a Gold Point but I can't quite make it out (my eyes are getting old and tired
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Peete.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 38
I used the Yamaha HTR5940
The Kenwood KA5500 sounds a little nicer, but it currently is in need of repairs.
I don't have any other amps ATM.
It is said that the SRD7mk2 improves with better amps. At least my comparison will help somebody on a budget who already has an integrated amplifier decide between the eXStata and the SRD7mk2.
If you have a better amp, perhaps the SRD7mk2 would be better than the eXStata, although I doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back