First Impression: TTVJ Slim Portable Headphone Amplifier....Wow
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus

Alright, before I begin with my impressions, here is a quick specifications sheet on the Slim:

• Price: $349
• Frequency response: DC to >100kHz, ±1dB; 20Hz - 20kHz ±0.1dB @ 1V out
• Maximum output: 3.29V RMS into 150Ω; 2.14V RMS into 33Ω
• Output source impedance: Approximately 2Ω
• THD+N: 0.004% @ 1V RMS out into 150Ω or 33Ω
• Broadband noise: <10μV RMS, unweighted, integrated over 20Hz - 20kHz
• Output DC offset: <5mV
• Input impedance: 10kΩ
• Maximum input level: 2V RMS
• Channel tracking (gain difference between channels, all volume steps): <±0.2dB
• Maximum gain: 0dB, 10dB, or 20dB (switch-selectable), ±<0.5dB
• Dimensions: 104mm long x 70mm wide x 12mm thick

So, back to everything. First off, let's begin with everything that the TTVJ comes in. I'm not sure if what I got was the official packaging or not, but mine came in a small cardboard box with a manual, the Slim itself, and  a wall charger. So, not as many goodies as the Audinst AMP-HP (LOD for iDevices, etc.) but all I really care about is the sound. Alright, now that we have that out of the way, let's take a quick look at the design in a quick summ up. The TTVJ Slim is made out of a very durable and matte feeling aluminum body in black with ridges running along the side. On the front we have a gain switch (0-20 dB), a reset switch, a USB charging port, and a 3.5mm input. On the back we have a volume scroller (also used as the power button, press down and hold to turn on, same to turn off) and an headphone opening (only 3.5mm jacks, no fancy 1/4 inch jacks). 

So, quick summary huh? Well yeah, all I really want to talk about is the sound. I have only used a few amps before this (FiiO E7 to name one) and I can honestly say after listening to about 100 different songs, the sound really took me aback. The TTVJ offers up a wider and more separated soundstage, a little bit more influence on bass, and a very sweet and rich midrange, with treble not really taking a lot of differential factors. Now, soundstage, even on some budget-fi earphones, sounded really good. I'm not saying it had the most amazing imagery ever, but it was definitely an improvement over some of the congested signatures of some of my IEM's. The bass, while not as influential as the mids, was very good as well. My Ortofon e-Q5's, which have a very light bass response, had a lot more rumble and forwardness to them, which I was very thankful for. This amp made my e-Q5's the perfect earphones. The e-Q5's already had amazing treble response and with the added richness and sweetness of the mids, and the forward, rumbly bass, it made a very, very balanced earphone.

I have been very impressed with the TTVJ slim as of the moment and I can't wait to test it out more extensively. Look out for an in depth review and a comparison vs. the Headstage Arrow, and the Audinst AMP-HP which will be coming very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back