First impression Pro900
Nov 14, 2008 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

PaulK

New Head-Fier
I wrote my first impression here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fir...pro900-380679/

Direct copy:

I read many posts on the Pro900, but few real experiences. So here is my first impression after 1 week listening experience.

I did a listening session on Ultrasone pro750, Pro900 and Edition 9.
My references are TripleFi's, Shure 530 and full-size open Philips HP1000.

The Pro 750 sound good, but not surprisingly great and different. Deep bass and very prominent highs. Sounds very much up-front. Voices are really 'there'. I liked it, but not like a big step compared to what I'm used to. And btw. I regard the TripleFi's as my reference for transparency, clarity and clean bass. Definately better than the Shures in this regard.

Then the Edition 9. This is another league! Very smooth and clean sound. Great bass and articulated highs but more layed back than the 750. It's difficult to describe in words but the smoothness is what striked me most. It's like looking a good normal TV and then watch a HDTV Bluray: you first think you see a very good quality image, nothing to complain about (750), then seeing all the details in the HDTV signal you can't believe was possible (Edition). OK, I exaggerate a bit to illustrate what I mean by the smoothness.

Finally, the Pro900. It does not have that smoothness as the Edition to my ears, but it was still in the same league! Great deep detailed bass, and nice highs, prominent, but not as up-front as the 750.

For me the SQ difference did not justify the price difference. Though I was not really looking for new cans, I ended up bying the Pro900.

After a week at home note the following. The bass can be overwhelming if either your amplification or sources are not good. Bad recordings / masterings are immediately heard on this one. In my combi iPod out / iQube it shines.

Nov 14, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 25
PaulK:
I own the Proline 750 and really enjoy it's sound. I was wondering about the sound stage of the 900 and the Ed 9 compared to the 750. Is there much of a difference? Is the "surround effect" the same, less, or more distinct in some way? Thanks.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 25
I'm not sure about the surround effect. But what stroke me most when listening to the E9 or P900 is first of all the warm, deep but sharp bass - never heard that before - without compromising the highs. Like a sub in a headphone. To my ears I thought the P900 had even more bass than the E9. And second the way voices are presented. Prominent but more layed back, more 'airy', than the 750. To me more natural sounding. Is this the result of S-Logic Plus? Might be, but definately a nice sound signature.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 25
Very nice job PaulK

Quote:

I read many posts on the Pro900, but few real experiences.

That was the case when I bought mine about a month ago. I'm glad all the reading paid off.....I'm glad I bought them...Great phones....

Quote:

Originally Posted by epcortek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect, Is there a notebook/portable amp you suggest to combo with the pro900 and my sony VAIO

I use the Practical Devices XM5 and it's great with these phones.....

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 25
buoght mine yesterday but I have around 15 hours on them....and I already love them.....
for those who are hesitating my words to you are these: Buy them NOW, for you will not regret it! I've listened to all the Pro, Dj, HFI series and the edition 9 and frankly I did not expect much from Ultrasone, even as I was buying them(sorry UlraPaul...)but! The 900 proved me wrong. Even togh it was not burned-in it produced a sound that was able to surprised my ears!

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 25
Is ultrasone cable removable like those Sennheisers?

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 25
yes

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is ultrasone cable removable like those Sennheisers?

Only the Pro series i think that u can remove the cable and is replaceable just unscrew it the cable.

I didnt really consider the Pro 900 i loved my Pro 750 perfectly suited to what i want :p

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 25
Pro 900 is amazing, atleast try it. With the 'Kees' mod I prefer it over the 750 (finally got a chance to listen to them, and they are indeed good headphones) and the ED9 (though they are in a way not comparable).

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the Pro series i think that u can remove the cable and is replaceable just unscrew it the cable.

I didnt really consider the Pro 900 i loved my Pro 750 perfectly suited to what i want :p

All of the Ultrasone headphones with PRO in the name come with 2 screw-in cables, 2 sets of ear pads and a hard-sided, nylon, carrying case.

The HFI Series and the DJ1 headphones will also fit into the carrying case and these are available on our webstores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back