First Impression of Rudistor NX-33 Balanced amps
Aug 28, 2006 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Rudistor NX-33 Balanced Headphone Amplifier - First impressions

Introduction
First off a short note on what made me go for a balanced headphone amp and particularly the NX-33.

Being based in the UK, and I guess this applies to other European countries to a greater or lesser extent, when deciding on a purchase we need to take into account taxes and customs duty. These can easily add another 20- 25% on to the purchase price, let alone the shipping costs if bought from the US. Given there are not that many balanced amps out there anyway, and the starting price of the ones that are available, the Rudistor one comes into the market at a great point for some of us.

Having read about balanced usage and experiencing some of it myself, albeit on more expensive setups, it was intriguing me that I had a great set of cans (HD650), a decent dac (Benchmark DAC1) and a good source (Creek CD50 mki) so I was almost in a position to go fully balanced. Yes I know the arguments about balanced but this is based on the balanced output & headphones usage and not long runs of wire I'm discussing. So as an initial trial I opted to get my Zu Mobius re-terminated to balanced xlr connectors and ran them straight out of the Benchmark Dac. Suffice to say I was hooked with the extra something, not that the single ended amp I was using was rubbish, it's a Corda HA2 mkii SE after all and no slouch.

I'd seen the thread about the new Rudistor amp before I went to the recent London meet and a seed had been planted in the head-fi part of my brain and was starting to grow. On hearing my own 650s out of Vic's balanced supra was the fertiliser the seed needed, I guess this is where I must confess the difference in my musical taste and ears seems to diverge from others, my focus was now on the HD650 balanced sound and some of the other headphones there (mine included) had diminished just a little in my view.

After exchanging a few emails with Rudi the deal was done and NX_33 serial no 12 and some xlr male to female adapter leads was paid for and added to the build queue. About 10 days later I was emailed with the news that it had been shipped (Thursday) and as it was tracked I was able to monitor it's progress and had a Monday delivery - on of the benefits of a European purchase.

Pictures I asked Rudi if pictures including inside shots were OK and he said Yes.

Front View
0842dfa0.jpg

Rear View
0884cb10.jpg

Inside View
087f3960.jpg

Front Inside
07e60400.jpg

Back Inside
08a60400.jpg

In stack sideways
083b9a00.jpg

Stack sideview
08560400.jpg

Cables
Planning ahead I bought a set of xlr cables from a fellow head-fi member and a set of what I can only call bling cables from Ebay. Amazingly they both arrived on the same day and well ahead of the amp. Cannot say how they compare just yet as I wanted to keep the system static whilst I burned everything in. I'll let the pictures of the bling cables speak for themselves, if anyone else has these I'd be interested in what they think. On a side note the Ebay seller made a mistake and sent me 3 cables, which of course I told him about and he said I could keep the 3rd for being honest. They are quite heavy and the extra weight put the shipping cost up to more than I was charged for so there are honest to goodness decent folk out there.

XLR Connectors
080cc730.jpg

0825ec00.jpg

08160880.jpg

XLR cable
089f4fd0.jpg

Headphones
My Senns are well run in, but in excellent condition and have mainly used the Zu Mobius cable after it replaced an earlier Oehlbach cable. I did do a brief mod on the original Senn cable whilst my Zu cable was off being modded. Though I did get hit by customs duty and FedEx admin charges the re-termination was done very quickly and for a reasonable fee. Plugged in to a decent balances system the Senns certainly produce the goods, a very outstanding wow difference and a very, very big grin on my face when listening. Trying the Grado HHF1s in singled ended mode did not have the same effect and I soon switched back to the Senns. I don't think this is a bad comment on the HHF1s but the difference between balanced ands single-ended.

I hope that we London head-fiers will be meeting up again soon so I can get to try both balanced & singled-ended 650s at the same time (you can have both headphone outs in use at the same time). But I'm also keen to try other balanced cans and especially any that I can easily re-terminate. Hmmm, balanced HHF1s I wonder...

Impressions

Oh that work was not so demanding on my time I'd have sat down and done a measured review of the sound based on some standard tracks and listed my comparison against other amps I own. I had planned on making a test CD up of certain well known tracks and noting down any key differences between the amps. But the ultimate test for me is that the main serious setup is now fairly well static and I'm not driven to switch back to an earlier setup.

So what was it that made me smile and is the balanced setup worth it.?

OK plugging in the Senns and hitting the play button on the CD remote gets you:

- Detail

Wow the extra detail is really apparent, makes you wonder whether the sound engineer doing the mix actually expects Mr Joe Average to hear everything he lays down in the mix. Yes I know it's an oft used phrase but you really do hear extra things on better equipment and once your ears & brain know it's there the lesser equipment does too but you're not made aware of it until you absolutely know it's there.

- Soundstage
Well I like it large and outside of my head if possible, as near as a speaker setup but via headphones. And the NX-33 setup gives it to me a plenty. Whether this is what is increasing the detail or whether the detail invokes a better soundstage impression I can't say and will need the measured judgment of other ears like Doctor Juggles or Vic.

- Volume
Now I've normally been a low volume listener and perhaps that's one reason why my perception differs from others. I could never listen too loud as it becomes too tiring too quickly and I have to have a break. One of the odd things with the NX33 is that the extra detail coming forth was at a certain volume and if meant to be heard would make the volume requirement higher than I would tend to use so the volume control gets pushed a little higher but it's still not tiring and does not need a break as soon as before. Based on this I'd have to assume that there is good volume and bad volume, bad volume for me is out of controlled bass and distortion and volume for the sake of it; good volume is not tiring and is needed to appreciate the sound as recorded. A cmoy is sufficient for volume as we all know but for the good stuff well there's the rub as Shakespeare would have said if he'd been a Head-Fi member, verily.

Upgrading & Tweaking
Well Rudi has obviously catered for the tweakers & twiddlers out there as you'll see from the pictures. The opamps are socketed all six of them so a degree of flavouring will no doubt be made by some. I may take a back seat here and wait for the suggestions of others who are keen to tweak their NX-33 first as no doubt the opamps in the NX33 are OK but perhaps could be bettered albeit at some cost, though I think I have some OPA627s lying around ..

Conclusion
Yes I'm a much happier bunny now. Balanced to me is a no brainer. No doubt you can get good quality single-ended but if it's all about hitting the right matching components and including your ears in that as well I'm a lot closer to nirvana than before and I haven't broken the bank balance! I may try out a few other cans balanced but this should see my gear settled for a good while now.

Steve

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
I hope that we London head-fiers will be meeting up again soon so I can get to try both balanced & singled-ended 650s at the same time (you can have both headphone outs in use at the same time).

Steve,
just name any Saturday or Sunday: the BBQ is ready at my place for a nice meet. Can't wait to try the Rudistor.

Quote:

On hearing my own 650s out of Vic's balanced supra was the fertiliser the seed needed

The day after the meet I realised that the voltage selector was switched to low voltage, while the 6bl7 tubes need high voltage; also the tubes were not burnt in. You should try the Supra XLR now: It is a totally different beast; also I now have quite a few different sets of tubes and with the Supra each set of tube is like a different amp.

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for your review of this piece. I would like to find a balanced amp to complement my rig. I, too, have been impressed with the sound difference of my Senns after switching to balanced. Based on your review, I am sure a dedicated amp will add still more.

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the review of a very interesting product (balanced at that price point...nice!!).

Aug 28, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 19
Nice review, Steve, thanks for the impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing this amp, there's a possible balanced source purchase in the near future for me, so the Rudistor is an interesting prospect.

Appreciate the review though, I know the time and effort that a decently composed review can take.

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Thanks for the review...have you tried the Senns unbalanced on the amp to see the difference?

Not yet as I converted the standard cable to xlr and later sold it. It would be interesting to compare the single versus balanced output using the same headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic
Steve,
just name any Saturday or Sunday: the BBQ is ready at my place for a nice meet. Can't wait to try the Rudistor.

It'll need to be soon as I think summer has gone already! If the Supra was not firing on all cyliders, so to speak, then I can't imagine how much better it is once all correctly fitted out and warmed up. We just need Doctor Juggles to splash out and we can have a balanced meet! Just kidding Justin
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjuggles
Nice review, Steve, thanks for the impressions. I'm looking forward to hearing this amp, there's a possible balanced source purchase in the near future for me, so the Rudistor is an interesting prospect.

Appreciate the review though, I know the time and effort that a decently composed review can take.

Yes it makes the hobby more like work, I'm at risk of slipping the odd head-fi terminology in the User Guides at work now, but thanks.

Steve

Aug 28, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Not yet as I converted the standard cable to xlr and later sold it. It would be interesting to compare the single versus balanced output using the same headphone.

I'll bring mine along to the next meet for easy comparison.

Quote:

It'll need to be soon as I think summer has gone already! If the Supra was not firing on all cyliders, so to speak, then I can't imagine how much better it is once all correctly fitted out and warmed up. We just need Doctor Juggles to splash out and we can have a balanced meet! Just kidding Justin
wink.gif

I'm happy with single ended for now.
600smile.gif

I'm also more than capable of needlessly encouraging myself to spend ridiculous amounts of money on unecessary things without you and your wretched suggestions. Get thee hence, vile temptation!!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 19
Wow, that's really interesting. I plan on getting a balanced amp too but it will be tube. It seems like a good price I suppose especially if the performance is up there. Congratulations. Looks like a great rig.

Aug 29, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

It would be interesting to compare the single versus balanced output using the same headphone.

I do have a XLR to SE converter, a XLR Enigma cable and two headphone sockets in my Supra (1 balanced and one SE) so we can do all sort of comparisons

Quote:

It'll need to be soon as I think summer has gone already!

I have the strong feeling that we are going to have a great Indian summer in London this year

Quote:

If the Supra was not firing on all cyliders, so to speak, then I can't imagine how much better it is once all correctly fitted out and warmed up.

Wait until you hear it
eggosmile.gif

Quote:

We just need Doctor Juggles to splash out and we can have a balanced meet! Just kidding Justin
wink.gif

Doctorjuggles just had a promotion: he is a big boss now and makes plenty of bucks
rs1smile.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and impression Steve. I am considering this amp for a balanced HD650 setup so this post is very timeous indeed.

Aug 29, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 19
GoRedwings19> Not had access to a balanced Grado yet! There is an itch for me to convert a pair over though.

Vic> I've been so wrapped up in balanced settings I've totally missed the point that I can make an adapter, doh!

Doctorjuggles> The dark side of the force is calling you, balanced. balanced, balanced ...!!

Africane/SpareRibs> The balanced amps around seems to cost a lot more than I wanted to spend so the NX-33 was a gamble. But in the end to me it is worth it, thogh it may get me spendin on more balanced headphones as well!!

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Steve

Sep 4, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 19
Stevie I have a very similar impression going from a 650 (Zu)/Aria to a balanced Apogee/Headamp GS-X/650 (BlackGold). I also listen at lower volume, but like you feel I have to turn the sound up just a bit to get "that sound" (clean, detailed, & punchy) I'm looking for. Still the volume knob is usually set at 9 o'clock switched to high gain (loss my meter, but my educated guess would be 85db) on the GS-X. I can listen for hours without fatigue. The 650 sounds absolutely fantastic through this set up! Actually single ended with the Zu cable was quite nice too, but going balanced with both the Headphile BlackSilver, & BlackGold brought even more improvement.

So congrats on the Rudistor. If I didn't have the GS-X, I would take a very hard look at it myself.

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 19
Given the buzz surrounding balanced HDxxx and StevieDVD's positive reviews of this new "affordable" amp, I decided to take the plunge and purchase the NX-33.

I received it today. It is not burned in, and neither is the Stefan Audio Art balanced cable I am plugging my HD650 with, but things can only get better...

My source is a Linn Ikemi. I will soon upgrade to the famous Resolution Audio Opus 21.

For some time, I had been playing musical chairs with my HD650 and HD600 and some Cardas and Silver Dragon cables, out of a Lehmann Black Cube Linear amp. Having previously owned a few (expensive) electrostatic phones (the Big Daddy O, the Baby O, the Lambda Pro...) I had moved back to dynamic phones looking for more "punch" and excitement. And there was the infamous sennheiser "veil"; retreating to my K1000 only reinforced the urge for some middle ground between the land of darkness and brightness.

The Rudistor NX-33 is no holy grail, but it does bring the HD650 a step further , with more clarity, depth, and detail. It also reveals the significant gap between the HD600 And HD650 (my HD600 is officially for sale). More expensive balanced amps will certainly offer more "resolution", a more cohesive sound. But for 950 Euros, the NX-33 is very satisfying. Lets take it a step at a time and see what the 0pus 21 has in store...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back