First Impression of Lambda (Z-audio)
Jan 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 32
i'm very lazy - can anyone post a pic of it here?

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i'm very lazy - can anyone post a pic of it here?

http://z-audio.com/lambda.html

Well.. just click on the above link!
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 32
I've spoken with Zemo before and he's a really nice guy so I hope he doesn't take this the wrong way. But these are the ugliest amps I've ever seen. I think he could sell a lot more of these puppies if he just put them in more attractive cases. Maybe that's just me.

Jan 10, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 32
Don't like the boxy look with the straight lines and 90 degree angles?
tongue.gif
For off the shelf casing, I'm more partial to the Hammond cases used for Portaphile amps myself.

I've read somewhere (it might have been zemo's post) that Zemo raised the prices a little bit and added more upgrades as standard because often people equated price with quality. Perhaps he can use more expensive (attractive?) cases and raise the prices a tad?

Whatever he needs to do, I'd like to see more people buy Zemo's amps and do more reviews. So far, people who've had his amps like them a lot.

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #20 of 32
Thanks for the posts, guys! I would like to say a couple things...First off, I agree that the cases are somewhat ugly, but for the amplifier, the internals is number one priority, and I couldn't fit the internals I designed in a hammond case. The only case I could find that would fit the form factor was the bud one that I'm using. Once the last stock of it sells, I'll redesign the amps for a different enclosure. Maybe custom machined, a la Larocco?

Also, not every customer has been satisfied! Sometimes something happens in shipping that damages an amp, or they just plain don't like it! It happens.

Socrates63, I'd like to sell more too!
icon10.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I've spoken with Zemo before and he's a really nice guy so I hope he doesn't take this the wrong way. But these are the ugliest amps I've ever seen. I think he could sell a lot more of these puppies if he just put them in more attractive cases. Maybe that's just me.

Well you have that amp for the ugliest SS,
lambdafront.jpg

and Eddie Current's new tube amp for the ugliest branch of that tree-
EC01f.jpg

But there's something to say for these ugly amps- they have their own kind of allure. Sorta.
evil_smiley.gif
They remind me of the early Creek headphone amps - no frills all business hehe.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #22 of 32
I got an unexpected $250 bonus check from work-yay-Ordered the Lambda a few days back.I've been wanting it for months and it will be my second headphone amp to own.It will be strictly used at home.Looking forward to it's arrival.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 32
Well, here it is Feb. 22 and I received my Lambda.This is a great sounding little bass-meister ! I am pleasantly surprised at the firm large scale sound this little amp produces...simply,it ROCKS ! I'm greatful for Zemo's policy to offer very good sound at clearly affordable prices.

No detail goes unnoticed in music...man, this little amp is a true jem !

By the way,the amp looks fine in person and is not ugly imo.Kudos to you Ty for a job well done with the Lambda ! If you cant afford the higher priced portable amps I highly recommend the Lambda ! I only have maybe 6 hours on it and it sounds fantastic already.

Feb 23, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Well, here it is Feb. 22 and I received my Lambda.This is a great sounding little bass-meister ! I am pleasantly surprised at the firm large scale sound this little amp produces...simply,it ROCKS ! I'm greatful for Zemo's policy to offer very good sound at clearly affordable prices.

No detail goes unnoticed in music...man, this little amp is a true jem !

By the way,the amp looks fine in person and is not ugly imo.Kudos to you Ty for a job well done with the Lambda ! If you cant afford the higher priced portable amps I highly recommend the Lambda ! I only have maybe 6 hours on it and it sounds fantastic already.

I'm curious as to how it sounds compared to your gilmore lite. Would you be able to give some brief impressions?

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 32
Ichiro,
Give me more time with it please.I have yet to try it out with the other two pairs of headphones I own.This is my first portable amp.I'm using it with the supplied power supply. I'll work on doing a side by side comparison with the Lite down the road.

One thing I can assure you...it's a damn nice musical amp with strong base.

I'm currently enjoying it immensly with the px100's....i've yet to try it with the 595's or 225's.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #26 of 32
The Lambda is a warmer sounding amp than the Lite.It lacks a little bit of that last ounce of upper treble the Lite has(remember,this is designed for portability).

I feel this little amp will surprise anyone with the quality of sound it produces. If you like a very warm sound with punchy base then yes....I believe you'll be surprised !

I've used it with sr-225's,ath-es5,px 100's,and hd 595...all four of these work very well with it.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
The Lambda is a warmer sounding amp than the Lite.It lacks a little bit of that last ounce of upper treble the Lite has(remember,this is designed for portability).

I feel this little amp will surprise anyone with the quality of sound it produces. If you like a very warm sound with punchy base then yes....I believe you'll be surprised !

I've used it with sr-225's,ath-es5,px 100's,and hd 595...all four of these work very well with it.

Hey twc...glad you like the Lamda's as much as I do. Curious, what op-amp are you using?

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #28 of 32
Not really sure Wowie ! I opened the amp up once to check things out and did'nt bother to look at the op's.

All I know is that I'm enjoying the hell out of it with my computer . So yea,I'm glad to be a part of "Team Lambda".
lambda.jpg

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #29 of 32
Ever since Zemo modified my Lambda adding DC/AC/charging unit, I have only used 9V rechargeable battery in it. The only minor problem that I had was "crackling" sound when headphone out jack is disturbed. Since Zemo is not about to introduce his home version amp anytime soon, I wanted to use Lamda exclusively for home stereo until Zemo's home amp is ready to be purchase or find something else to replace it.

I took the 9v battery out and plugged the 12v wallwart (cheap one) and gave it a listen. First thing that I noticed was its blue LED light wasn't as bright as when I used the battery alone. It is dimmer just like when battery power is not fully charged or about to go out but its sound is as good as ever. And also there is slight hiss with volume at the maximum without music playing but no more "crackling" sound from headphone out jack. I am going to give a listen with AC power only and compare if there is any difference against using battery power. I am also wondering if I can use higher than 12v output. I have 24v regulated powerpak AC unit. I am just using this 12v wallwart (unregulated) which recommended by Zemo.

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #30 of 32
You can go higher on current but not on voltage if it's a regulated power supply for the amp ,so keep it at 12v in that regard. I bought this one and it's perfect for me. Cost $34 dollars and is much better quality than the one supplied or found at a local store :

Model # FW1812-760 (Elpac)

http://www.elpac.com/uploads/documen...heets/fw18.pdf

I had my amp set up strictly for home use with ac power--no batteries,no battery charging.It works fine. I'm sure you can find one at a Wallmart but I personally wanted something thats a little better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back