First Impression of Lambda (Z-audio)
Nov 15, 2005 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

justhavingfun

500+ Head-Fier
eggosmile.gif

My previous experience with the portable amps are Headroom's Total Airhead and Cosmic amp few years back as well as some Cmoy type varieties of amps. I haven't heard their new amps. I initally bought the Cosmic amp for portable rig and the sound was wonderful but it was little too bulky for truely portable and thus ended up buying Total Airhead instead. My Total Airhead has been with me just about everywhere I go including recent Iraq War (OIF) mated with Ety ER4S. Those military cargo plane (C130) ride can be very brutal for several hours at a time but with the Ety ER4S and Total Airhead, it was almost pleasure? to have a long cargo plane ride. So when I was looking for my next upgrade in headphone amp, I looked long and hard which include Headroom's new lines of portable amp along with many other candidates.

After couple months of reading and searching the internet, I ended up purchasing Lambda amp not for my own use but for a gift to my friend who spent many of his hours in the air travel as well. Of course when it arrived, I gave it a listen to the Lambda amp. WOW, what a sound it produced with my Etymotic ER4S and Sennheiser HD580. The highs are crisp and clear, midranges are silky smooth and very robust bass. I have listened to countless time of Yo-Yo Ma's Bach:prelude, Cello Suite No. 1 and I have never heard the way Lambda was able to produce. I can almost feel the vibrations of the cello strings emanating on low bass notes and highs were not harsh at all. Although this Lambda only cost $170, I will not look for any more expensive amp at all for awhile. I was about to drop the serious amount of money (well, at least to me anyway) for one of those super expensive Headroom's amp but no longer. I was completely surprised how good this Lambda sounded.

Compare to Cosmic amp which cost over $700, Lambda was held up on its own and some instance sounded better. However, I do like what Headroom did with their processor. The only thing that I wished for this Lambda to have was AC line input which I found out later that I could have installed this additional feature by Ty Morris (designer) just by asking. Some of other users of Lambda was having little hiss when music wasn't playing but my unit is dead silent. I can't recommend this Lambda high enough for its excellent sound quality.

The only quirk I have with the Lambda amp was its difficulty with installing two 9v batteries. I have to use screwdriver to loosen at least four screws to install. I ended up unscrew all eight screws, pull out the PCB board completely out and installed the batteries. Yes it is little inconvenient to install the batteries but this did not deter me from enjoying this beauty. It sounded that good to me. And also it is little bit bigger than other tiny palm size portable amp but the sound quality that I get from this unit is more than enough to convince me to carry this unit everywhere I go from now on. To me it is nice compromise of its size to get much better sound than other competitors of smaller sizes or other much bigger sizes to bring up the sound quality. And beside, it has beautiful solid aluminum case to protect the inside electronics. I can't wait what other home headphone amps that Ty Morris has up in his sleeves coming days. Thanks for the great amp design. BTW even though I purchased this unit for my friend, I ended up keeping this Lambda for myself since he wanted little more portability vs. sound quality. So I ended up buying him much smaller sized amp and he is happy now.

Nov 15, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 32
Thanks,
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow! Just what I was looking to hear. Like, a perfect sense of timing.

Lambda is approaching...
eggosmile.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 32
Yep,I'm sold on it also.I noticed the price increased to $190 dollars on the website.I'm ordering the Lambda in a few weeks.I e-mailed Zemo with a few special request--even if they cannot be met I'm still ordering one.

Nov 15, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 32
Just seen the price increase. I guess it was too cheap before.
redface.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 32
I would love to hear other people's initial impression about this Lambda amp. Sorry about the price increase but it is still no doubt one of the best value in the headphone amp market. When you do get the unit, just be careful about the installing the two 9v batteries. BTW, the designer's name is Ty Morita not Morris, my mistake. Hope you enjoy the amp as much as I do.

Terry

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by twc5964
Maybe he decided to make a standard upgrade....I really dont know why the $20 dollar increase.Might be the cases cost more from the supplier ? who knows .....

$37, in fact, taking into account the previous 10% discount. Anyhow, both things could well be the reason. If there should have been an upgrade, I'd sure be thankful rather than disappointed.

Nov 15, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 32
I sure wish someone had some experience with this amp and the Xin Super Mini--It's much smaller and gets very favorable reviews but something..I just cant put my finger on it is still leading me torwards the Lambda regardless of price increase and the larger case.I already own a Gilmore Lite but I'm also wanting to try this amp for such a good price.The mentioned battery installation sounds like a bit of a pain,however,still not a deterrent imo.

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 32
Why is almost everyone who makes portable amps putting the input jack on the front these days... is it because of the iPod? Makes things very difficult when you're using a vintage PCDP with the output jack on the back of the player.

I wish amp-makers would compromise and put the input jack on the side, like the v2 Go-Vibe. Oh well...
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 32
icon10.gif
Sorry about your name mixed up. As I was typing up my review, some how I got your actual name slipped in my memory bank (it seems happen to me more often lately
blink.gif
And you are right about your relatively inexpensive price tag. I know several people personally do not give some excellent amps such as yours fair chance for comparison relative to other more expensive ones, thinking you get what you paid for. Even for me, I was thinking about upgrading to Headroom's upper models real soon. But lucky for me I was shopping for a gift for my friend and ended up getting Lambda for myself instead.

As far as price increase, I will be glad to pay that extra just to get DC jack. I am just excited to wait for Ty's next creation for home version of headphone amp for my reference system. If he keeps up with his current philosophy of design and budget, I know I will get one of the best performance for the money.

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 32
wow, dc jack and charging unit, those were the only things stoping me from purchasing a lambda, think i'll buy one a little latter today. Any way to request adjustment for senn 580s or does this amp do a good job out of the box?

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 32
Another item to add to all the stuff that's orbiting around my head like little planets. Sure sounds like a winner though.
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 32
When I bought my Lambda from Zemo, my unit didn't have DC jack/charging unit. I thought that feature will be nice to have for me so I contacted Zemo for modification recently and I just received my Lambda today. I didn't have a chance to listen yet but I will write another impression of this modified Lambda later. My original Lambda used two 9v batteries but now it only uses one 9v. The other space is occupied by the DC jack/charging unit modification. A/C plug is on the back side of the unit. I mentioned before little difficultiness of changing batteries but now with this DC jack/charging unit along with rechageable battery in place, this is non-issue for me as long as this didn't change the sound quality which I will soon find out. Happy New Year to everyone.
etysmile.gif

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 32
I had a chance to listen to my now modified Lambda for about ten days. When I first listen to Lambda after leaving overnight to charge the battery, I was little disappointed at first. For whatever reason, it seemed to lost the magic touch that I first experienced before the modification plus it had crackling noise whenever my headphone jack was slightly disturbed
confused.gif
. I have never convinced about any burn-in amp before but I gave it a few cycles(recharging battery) of continuous burn-in. Few days later, I gave it another listen and it gave me smile back again. I don't know what Zemo did to modify my Lambda but it definitely benefitted my Lambda sounding better after its burn-in period. Maybe it was that new rechargeable battery (Everready 9V rechargeable) being better after few cycles of recharging, I am not sure but I will never find out now. However, that crackling sound from headphone output jack is still there but much less sensitive. It only happens if I really tug the switch to make that crackling sound now. Hopefully it will improve as time goes by but I am not too concern about it.

I also had a chance to compare the Lambda to my Koss ESP/950 electrostatic headphone system. I definitely preferred Koss ESP/950 over Lambda on classical music types being more detailed and wider sound stage but on jazz/rock type music it was very close call. With the addition of DC and charging jack on Lambda, this amp can be used as my primary home amp as well on certain music. But I will be using Lambda as my portable amp mostly. The CDP source that used for this comparison was Adcom GCD 700 and Rega Planar 3 turntable as analog source with Musical Fidelity A3 as preamp duty. In conclusion, this modification haven't changed of my Lambda sound characteristic much at the end other than that initial less than impressive sound right after the modification. But overall I am glad that Zemo added DC/recharging feature for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back