First IEM: Cheaper UE3 or Expensive UE5/Q-Jay?
May 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OoiTY

New Head-Fier
Hello! First post on here, and it's a question. I hope that doesn't annoy too many people here.
tongue.gif

Anyway, I've wanted to get a new pair of IEM's and after looking at almost every review on the web, I think that a pair of UE3Studio's will fit my budget and needs.

However, being a person who is very easily tempted, I've been lured into looking at the significantly more expensive Q-Jay's and subsequently the UE5Pro's. Now I'm wondering if I should save up and splurge more on either one of those.

Aside from the sound quality, comfort is probably the second most important factor for me. I have some old Phillips in-ear headphones, but my ears ache after a few hours of using them.

Being somewhat of a casual listener, I was hoping that the difference in price also translates into a significant difference in sound quality/comfort. If not, I'll just run with the cheaper UE3's.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I usually listen to alternative and rock music, if anyone wanted to know about my preferences. :p

Now, what do you think? Should I pick the more expensive option, or should I slap myself for not being able to stick to a budget? :O

May 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 12
If you are planing to spend $100 or less, Head-Direct RE2 should be one of the best choice out there, certainly better than SF3.

May 24, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 12
I was thinking the same way as you are now. I bought a pair of philips IEM for $40, because i didn't think the expensive ones will perform that much better, until recently philips isn't working anymore. And i ended up buying the Q-Jays, i gotta say i will not turn back to my philips, Qjays is simply more comfortable, better isolation and really detail, just lack a little bass, IMO.

I haven't tried the UE3 or 5 yet, but all i can say is that do it right the first time than wasting more of your time and money in the future. Would definitely save up for a better set, personally.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 12
Super.fi 5 owner here: I've not heard the super.fi 3s because I wanted to be sure I did it right the first time. I am very pleased with the SQ of the super.fi 5s, still, there is something to be said for not wasting your money. There are sweet spots of sound quality versus cost relative to how demanding you are. Based on my general satisfaction with single driver earbuds, I imagine I would have been almost as happy with the super.fi 3s and $100 closer to getting some custom in-ears.

I would ask yourself two questions: 1. Is this really intended as the end of the line for in-ears for you, at least for the next two years? 2. What is your real high end you would spend on in-ears (even if its out of reach at the moment)?

If you're intending for this to be the end of the line for the forseeable future, you might as well splurge the extra $100 and get the UE5s or something similar. If you forsee yourself, like myself, coveting custom in-ears (which, admittedly, I wasn't until I got ahold of the super.fi 5s and realised just how much cooler this experience would be if they fit me absolutely perfectly
wink.gif
), you might be better off "settling" for the super.fi 3s and saving your money towards the real high end.

May 24, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 12
I have the SF5P, and although it sounds great and is more comfy recabled with a ES2 cable, I would prefer something smaller that didn't require as much effort to put on.

And judging from what I've read, Q-Jays are the complete package.

May 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OoiTY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I pick the more expensive option, or should I slap myself for not being able to stick to a budget? :O

Welcome to Head-fi! Never slap yourself for wanting a better audio product! That is our errr... motto?
tongue.gif

With comply tips or Shure olives eleminating the discomfort, the SF5s are great indeed. I could never get used to the mids, but they still give you that detailed, intimate sound that is what IEMs are all about. I would expect the Q-jays to possess that same quality, but might be even more versatile.

May 25, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 12
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, hanging on this board will always push you to new high of audio quality and spendings!

Sorry for your wallet! I know, I've bought the UE 3 couples of month back, but now I'm already considering customs...

If you want to be satisfied with whatever you buy, stop reading these forums!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OoiTY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I usually listen to alternative and rock music, if anyone wanted to know about my preferences. :p

I've auditioned the SF3 before and i must say, the rock songs i passed through them sounded *very* disappointing to me... The mids sounded good but the phones just didn't pack any punch needed for rockin' - the lack of good bass and treble kinda made me feel i was listening to pop instead
redface.gif
(No offense to SF3 fans.)

May 25, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm a Ultimate Ears UE-SF5 EB owner. And I can say that I'm very happy with Ultimate Ears UE-SF5 EB's SQ. 100% recomended!!!
Perfect for rock, jazz, eletronica classical, etc.......
I love my Ultimate Ears UE-SF5 EB !!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back