First human clone due in January...
Nov 27, 2002 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 47
I say we clone everyone on death row and let infertile parents who desperately want children adopt them into good homes. This way we give everyone a second chance and please everybody.

Is it immoral to abort a soulless demonic clone from hell?

I want to go to a hospital and shoot a delivery nurse. Gang warfare on the abortion issue, I say. Death to all who birth babies, clone or otherwise.

This guy's ex-coworker and chief competitor says he is bluffing but that he himself will instead be first to have a cloned human sometime in 2003.

There is no point to cloning if the clones have civil liberties. We should establish a hierarchy in which the master controls distribution and usage of the copies. Surely the RIAA will rally to support me in my efforts to enslave the clone masses of tomorrow's work force.

Perhaps we should illegalize cloning of ugly and stupid people. We should clone actors, models and hollywood people and use them to lower their salaries. "Tom, if you won't take the role, I'm talking to a doctor in Italy who says Rosie sent him one of your pubes and we can extract DNA from that. Top Gun II is happening with or without you, Mav!"

Italian doctor claims victory? Victory, you say? Not victory. A defeat it was. Begun the clone war has.

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #17 of 47
cool...

it's nice to see science advance for once
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 47
As you all know, cloning will destroy the human race. Genetic manipulation of any kind will destroy the human race.

An advancement in science?? You poor blind fool.

Do you know what happens when you start breeding perfection???

I'll tell you what happens, genetic manipulation of any kind leads to the desire to better ourselves through such manipulation. Over the course of centuries we will get closer and closer to perfection. There is no such thing as a variation on perfection. There is only one form, in the end, the human race will have one face. There is only one perfectly proportioned body, there is only one perfectly functioning mind. There will be no original thought, no anything, just the same face a billion times over.

What if we just use it to remove illness and major dysfunction? First of all, SOMEONE will be using it for the purpose of trying to achieve perfection. But if we could imagine that the human race as a whole could restrain itself and just use genetic technology for the purpose of preventing major illness or dysfunction what would we have? What if we just make people happier? Remove depression? We might lose a future Van Gogh. What if we remove heart disease, or, physical deformity? I think then we take away the right of a human being to persevere. When we make ourselves perfect in this world we are inducing a far more serious defect in another one... In a world where there is no excuse for failure, there is no reason for success.

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
it's nice to see science advance for once
smily_headphones1.gif

i don't really think this is an advance. finding a cure for cancer is an advance. find a cure for aids is an advance.

cloning is highly-funded masturbation.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 47
It's amazing how every scientific discovery frightens and is opposed by many individuals and institutions. All scientific advances can be used for good or evil, but somehow most yield more good than evil. Scientific discoveries will never be stopped, and all the wasted energy to oppose them should be spent toward assuring their constructive application. In the case of human cloning, childless couples may benefit, couples who lose a child may gain joy from the child's replacement, matching bone marrow may be obtained to cure critically ill children, etc. etc. Lets think about the positive along with the negative.

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #22 of 47
Wow this is a difficult issue...i personally would not like to see cloning humans become a reality...while there would certainly be some good from such a technology and for that matter perhaps bad things, the overriding factor i think about is that what makes us individuals can't be duplicated with a clone no matter how exact a copy the clone may be...if i were to lose a child there is nothing in the world that can replace that individual and i certainly would worry if we get to the point we feel we can just pump out a clone to satify some need that you really can't replace...there is only one you in the entire universe...a clone is a copy of your body not "you"...

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by squirt
Wow this is a difficult issue...i personally would not like to see cloning humans become a reality...while there would certainly be some good from such a technology and for that matter perhaps bad things, the overriding factor i think about is that what makes us individuals can't be duplicated with a clone no matter how exact a copy the clone may be...if i were to lose a child there is nothing in the world that can replace that individual and i certainly would worry if we get to the point we feel we can just pump out a clone to satify some need that you really can't replace...there is only one you in the entire universe...a clone is a copy of your body not "you"...

Although you may not like it to become a reality, it looks as if it is about to become a reality. I'm sure that lots of people didn't want neuclear fission and fusion to become a reality, but A & H bombs are a reality. And, it's because of these bombs that WWII was ended more quickly, and it's because of these bombs that WWIII did not occur, and we've had only local wars (as opposed to a world war) in the last 50+ years. As for replacement of children, of course a clone is only a physical duplicate, and not a replica of mind and personality. But, in cases where parents lose a very young child (e.g., only a couple of months old) a clone of the lost child may satisfy the need of some. I don't think that legislative attempts should be made to prevent this and thereby deny personal needs that address persons' grief, or their medical needs to save a child (e.g., having a cloned child that can donate perfectly matching bone marrow to save their sick child). As for people wanting to clone themselves to satisfy their idea of living for ever, that's complete nonsense. The clone is a totally different person; i.e., a completely separate and unique individual.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

In the case of human cloning, childless couples may benefit, couples who lose a child may gain joy from the child's replacement, matching bone marrow may be obtained to cure critically ill children, etc. etc. Lets think about the positive along with the negative.

I fail to see the positive here. So what you're saying we shouldn't accept a lost loved one, we should try to "fix" them? Seriously? What do you tell the clone? "Well, we created you to replace our lost daughter. You're not yourself, you're really her." Bone marrow transplants? So, what happens after the transplant goes through? Do you kill the clone? I really fear the world that you describe.
eek.gif
This really seems like a page out of "Brave New World."

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 47
I want to clone my next dating potential early in the relationship and have a bunch of spares. Then every time I screw up, I'll kill the one I screwed over and then pop out a fresh one and do it right. Or maybe set her free and see if she comes back. Disprove that little piece of cliche, I betcha.

I'd like to clone my ex- before last (sic) and make a bunch of copies of her. I'd like to explore how many ways there are to murder a person. A psychologist could participate and observe her emotional reaction each time. We could clone her mom too. This would be the best game since checkers.

How can you be against cloning. Can you not see the potential for this?

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 47
Right now, it is far too early to analyse what this would be used for in the future. Infertle couples, massive armies, delta's and esplons? Who knows. Personally, i am torn with the issue of cloning as it presents massive possibilities, but great risks at the same time. We're entering a whole new world here...

I want to ask everyone here an honost question. Do you think you could ever fall in love with a clone? A bizzare and abstract question for sure, and albiet not nearly as dark as some comments of other users, but love, probably the most native of all human instincts, to something that is, in some inate form, un-natrual?

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Right now, it is far too early to analyse what this would be used for in the future. Infertle couples, massive armies, delta's and esplons? Who knows. Personally, i am torn with the issue of cloning as it presents massive possibilities, but great risks at the same time. We're entering a whole new world here...

I want to ask everyone here an honost question. Do you think you could ever fall in love with a clone? A bizzare and abstract question for sure, and albiet not nearly as dark as some comments of other users, but love, probably the most native of all human instincts, to something that is, in some inate form, un-natrual?

Could i fall in love with a clone? absolutely is my answer...Why? because a human however derived is still a human and a clone had in no way a choice to be a clone...none of us had a choice in being born or who are parents are or what ever...so a clone would be completely innocent of our societies wacky foibles...he or she would be a draftee just as the rest of us and is deserving of all consideration and they would have the same desires and needs of us all...Certainly there would have to be updating of civil rights and EEOC laws to accommodate clones...Some may say a clone won't have a "soul" if you will...but i say we are all born with a soul...its what you do with your life that determines if you get to keep it...So lets not blame a clone for being born...
time for me to get off this soap box
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #28 of 47
Maybe there's a reason certain people/couples are infertile? Perhaps this is nature's way of "de-selecting" their genetic material?

Totally aside from the issue of the overcrowding on this planet, and the fact that we hardly need to be finding new ways to bring about still more humans, there's the issue of the psychological damage that will accrue to the poor, hapless clone.

People are superstitious and racist/ignorant creatures for the most part. You can only imagine how they will react to the clone. Will the child have any friends? Will he/she be a "second-class citizen"? What's the psychological impact of being a clone on the clone himself?

Mark

Nov 28, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #30 of 47
There are more people alive today than have died in all human history. More of us walking the planet right now than buried in the ground. Population has doubled in the last 40 years, and will double again in no time flat.

All our social and environmental problems have as their root overpopulation. Competition for resources is at the bottom of all conflict in the world. Our spreading out and devastating the landscape is the cause of the mass extinction of the species. In 30 years time, there will be wars fought between nations over who has the right to the dwindling water supplies from the river that flows through both countries. Need I go on...?

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back