First Headamp and DAC Separates - Topping ?
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Andyb90

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I’m looking to get my first headphone amp and dac separates.

I was thinking of a Topping amp and DAC to start me off.

Can anyone recommend a combo to start with? I don’t want to invest too heavily to begin with as I’m new to separates.

Thanks

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 10
Looking again at the Topping range I can see the DACs have remote controls. I’d need to use the remote for volume control as I’m not close enough to my listening station to manually adjust the volume on the headphone amp.

Will controlling the volume via the DAC instead of the headphone amp cause loss in sound quality?

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 10
If you stay in 0 to approx. -25 dB, you should be OK. I generally feel some lost of dynamics when attenuation gets to some -40 dB. Surprisingly, independently whether analog or digital attenuation.
Thanks for the advice. Would I need to set the headphone amp volume to maximum when using the DAC volume control?

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Because really, controlling the volume at a source (i.e. DAC) is a dangerously bad idea. And you will not get the best sound out of your system.

All sources should always be run at full output and volume should be controlled at the amp. That way the amp is fully driven and you don't risk destroying your gear or your hearing as @pbui44 mentioned.

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Unless you want to succumb to permanent hearing damage, NO. :)
Because really, controlling the volume at a source (i.e. DAC) is a dangerously bad idea. And you will not get the best sound out of your system.

All sources should always be run at full output and volume should be controlled at the amp. That way the amp is fully driven and you don't risk destroying your gear or your hearing as @pbui44 mentioned.
Thanks for the advice and words of caution. I’ll either find an amp with a remote or adjust the position of my listening station so I can control the amp volume manually.

Aug 14, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #10 of 10
The remote on the Topping DX3 Pro Plus will control the volume by digital steps, just know that you will have to accustomed to looking at the display while using the remote and see what gain level and dB is best for you that is based on the digital volume range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back