First Good Headphones
Feb 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ihrm

Head-Fier
Hey head-fi,
This is my first time in the market for headphones and its a lot to take in. I'm looking for my first set of good headphones. I don't like too much bass and I listen to a lot of indie rock and acoustic. I have a pair of cx500s right now and they are great, but I want something for home listening. I've been looking at the sennheiser hd595s and they look pretty good. What kind of music are they good for? I'm open to suggestions but I want to keep it under $200. I'm also in the market for a DAC or sound card. What would be the better choice? With my PC being my primary source of sound I want my headphones to sound good, and not have to deal with on board sound. I would like to keep this under $100.
Here's a link to my Last.FM so you can have a look at my music taste:
ihrm’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm

Thanks for any help!

PS: All my music is encoded in flac!

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 17
For DAC, look up the NuForce uDac. I'm considering it myself, and I can't find any reason not to get it. Only $99 and will beat the pants off any internal sound card at the same price. However, if you play games often, an X-Fi sound card is a great investment.

Since you're looking at the Sennheiser 595s, I'll assume you don't mind open headphones. Sennheisers are known for having a slow, relaxing, warm house sound. While good for classical and some jazz, I don't know how it would work with indie rock. Grado headphones are widely considered the rock kings, but can be uncomfortable for some. Look at the SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, and the SR225i, with the 225 being the best choice for your budget.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 17
I've heard great things about the uDAC, thats what I was recommended. And I've also heard that the HD595s are Sennheisers "Grado wannabes" so that's why I was considering them. Anyone able to back that up? None of my rock is really heavy rock either.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For DAC, look up the NuForce uDac. I'm considering it myself, and I can't find any reason not to get it. Only $99 and will beat the pants off any internal sound card at the same price. However, if you play games often, an X-Fi sound card is a great investment.

Since you're looking at the Sennheiser 595s, I'll assume you don't mind open headphones. Sennheisers are known for having a slow, relaxing, warm house sound. While good for classical and some jazz, I don't know how it would work with indie rock. Grado headphones are widely considered the rock kings, but can be uncomfortable for some. Look at the SR60i, SR80i, SR125i, and the SR225i, with the 225 being the best choice for your budget.

The senns (555/595) are quite aggressive actually. I was shocked when I compared to my SR60s and found them pretty similar. There ARE differences but it's nowhere near what I expected. This is straight out my uDac btw. From what I gather though, the 600/650 are MUCH more laid back.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard great things about the uDAC, thats what I was recommended. And I've also heard that the HD595s are Sennheisers "Grado wannabes" so that's why I was considering them. Anyone able to back that up? None of my rock is really heavy rock either.

lol yeah, exactly what I was saying :O

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 17
For what?

The uDac comes with a USB cable, and the HD595s can plug straight into the uDac. Although, you might want to consider getting a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter cable rather than using the bulky adapter that's included, because it puts a lot of extra strain on the jack socket and if it's pulled with force can easily damage the circuit board. Grado sell one but the sennheiser one (which is included with HD600/650) is cheaper (from a sennheiser replacement parts website or whatever).

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrywild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what?

The uDac comes with a USB cable, and the HD595s can plug straight into the uDac. Although, you might want to consider getting a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter cable rather than using the bulky adapter that's included, because it puts a lot of extra strain on the jack socket and if it's pulled with force can easily damage the circuit board. Grado sell one but the sennheiser one (which is included with HD600/650) is cheaper (from a sennheiser replacement parts website or whatever).

Hmm, so I'm guessing the uDAC has a 3.5mm jack. Anyone know a good site in Canada to order all this? I'll probably end up ordering the headphones from amazon but if i could get the DAC inside of Canada that would be nice.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 17
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the high-end Senns was rougher than the others.

The 595 would be decent then, but I'd still go for the 225i unless you don't want to rub your ears red for the first week or two. Better yet, go somewhere and try them first.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, so I'm guessing the uDAC has a 3.5mm jack. Anyone know a good site in Canada to order all this? I'll probably end up ordering the headphones from amazon but if i could get the DAC inside of Canada that would be nice.

I don't know about any Canada specific websites but you can order the udac from Nu Force - Amplifier, Speaker, Headphone & Earphone, Audio Video Processor, CD, DVD, Digital Music players & more or if your very lucky you might be able to find one in the FS forum.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I forgot one of the high-end Senns was rougher than the others.

The 595 would be decent then, but I'd still go for the 225i unless you don't want to rub your ears red for the first week or two. Better yet, go somewhere and try them first.

I haven't heard the 225i's yet, but I want some, so I'd actually agree to get some over the 595s if they're equal price (225i is 2x the price here in UK).

TBH I don't really see any reason to get HD595s. It's well known that they use same drivers as HD555s, just without the foam piece behind the driver. The soundstage mod is also incredibly easy (I just used a pair of nail scissors to cut out the inner grill, none of that removing the outer metal grill stuff) and brings them past 595 levels, for about half the cost. IMO if you wanna save some money since you'll be buying a DAC as well, get the HD555s and mod them, otherwise get the SR225i's or MS1i's.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 17
I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser hd595 headphones. These are an awesome pair of headsets for the price. They work extremely well with a variety of music (rock,rap,classical).

These headphones really kick buttttttt. I couldn't believe how much I had been missing with my older headsets. The detail these cans deliver is unbelievable.

It takes about 100 hours to break them in. After that, pure listening enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a great review with video and specs at : Best audiophile headphones

You won't be disappointed with the 595's.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #15 of 17
Looking at your Last.fm profile, MS-1 or SR-60/80 seems to be the best bet under $100.

EDIT: Read wrong, you can spend up to $200 for headphones. SR-225 is a good pair of headphones, although I'd still opt for the lower priced Grados to get a taste of the sound before committing to higher end Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back