first good headphone
Feb 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Ratzilla

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting my first pair of good headphones. I would like to spend under $200 for headphones. I've been looking over the EE and I think the sennheiser HD580s or HD600s fit the bill.

Currently, I am using Koss KSC75s which are way better than my generic headphones from dealextreme but yet...i want better.

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 21
I'll be mainly using it at home on my desktop computer and maybe for my xbox 360. I like having surround sound so unless the headphones can tell me where bad guys are coming from, I'll stick to the surround sound speakers(logitech z5500s). I have a pretty modern computer and a HT omega striker sound card. I'm not sure if it's better to play music from my sound card or if it's better to play it through my speaker's headphone jack.

If I decide to use it for my 360 as well, it'll be probably be 40% gaming, 20% music, 40% tv/movies.
If I don't use it for my 360, it'll be 80% tv/movies, 20% music.

Having used my z-5500s for a while, I really appreciate having clear sound and sound that isn't too boomy/muddy(the z-5500s are really boomy/muddy and unclear).

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source, music preferences, listening level, etc. The more info the better!

Oh - And: Welcome To Head-Fi! (Sorry about your wallet!)

frown.gif

It saddens me to realize that all our fates lie with that motto.

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be mainly using it at home on my desktop computer and maybe for my xbox 360. I like having surround sound so unless the headphones can tell me where bad guys are coming from, I'll stick to the surround sound speakers(logitech z5500s).

Headphones are very capable of letting you hear exactly where someone is.

Some headphones are much better at it than others though.

Most people will recommend the audio technica AD700 to you for gaming headphones. (at least that is what happened to me)

Others say Sennheiser hd555 and others go with certain Beyerdynamic cans.

I went with the hd555 for comfort reasons, but with your budget, you might be able to get some better senns than the hd555s if you wish to go that rout.

Welcome

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 21
I wouldn't get into a pair of HD600's without dropping a fair amount of money on a supporting system to go with them. And you'll be hard pressed to find them for $200 used anyway. And I think they're especially too much for you considering the relatively small amount of time you'll be using them for music.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rec the AD700.

See I told you
atsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't get into a pair of HD600's without dropping a fair amount of money on a supporting system to go with them.

You mean an amp? I've asked around and everyone has told me to get headphones first and then an amp later? I've never used one before so I dont know the difference between having one and not having one. My plan was to get the headphones first, then amp later. Thoughts?

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 21
I switched from HD555's to Beyer DT770 Pro's and I find it much easier locate enemies in games.

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched from HD555's to Beyer DT770 Pro's and I find it much easier locate enemies in games.

do you find stereo headphones can compare to surround sound speakers for locating enemies?

Feb 28, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

You mean an amp? I've asked around and everyone has told me to get headphones first and then an amp later? I've never used one before so I dont know the difference between having one and not having one. My plan was to get the headphones first, then amp later. Thoughts?

It mainly depends on the headphone. HD600's are amazing headphones, but they're extremely picky about what you put into them. Normally I always say get the headphone first, and then get the amp. But with HD600's, you're just wasting money to use them without a really amazing amp and DAC. You'd be much better off saving the $100 dollars (or more likely more) and buying AD700's.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

do you find stereo headphones can compare to surround sound speakers for locating enemies?

I can't really comment too much on that. I've only had a 5.1 set of speakers a few years back. A speaker set that isn't really worth mentioning.

However I can't imagine surround speakers being better for locating enemies, but as I said.. haven't really tried it. These 'progamers' must play with headphones/headsets for a reason I'd say
biggrin.gif
(Although speakers don't really work on lan ofcourse, so that obviously also has something to do with it ^^).

Mar 1, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Having used my z-5500s for a while, I really appreciate having clear sound and sound that isn't too boomy/muddy(the z-5500s are really boomy/muddy and unclear).

I don't think you can go wrong the the HD580 or HD600 (though I would highlky recommend spending a bit more for the HD600).

As for the logitech z5500, I rewired mine with 12 gauge wire and found them to be castly improved (it cost arouind $60AU for the wire and was worth every $). Just a thought anyway.
smile.gif

Quote:

I got my HD600 and then later upgraded to an amp and external DAC. They are good unamped but really shine to a much higher level with a dac and amp. I'd get them and upgrade the later when you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back