first good headphone
Mar 1, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #16 of 21
How much would it cost for an amp and a dac to make a headphone like the hd600s sound a lot better than without?

Also, what does a dac do for headphones? Aren't headphones usually sent analog signals straight from devices like pcs, ipods, etc? Where's the digital part from?

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 21
The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) will transform the digital stream which represents the audio data coming from a device (for example, a CD player with digital output, or the decoded audio stream output from a music player) to an analog signal which will, in this case, be amplified and sent through the headphone output. Different DACs have distinct approaches to this conversion, resulting in a "sound signature"; that is, they will make the same digital stream sound different through the same headphones.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #18 of 21
For the HD600 and looking for a DAC/Amp to match, I'd say you are looking at $250 for DAC and about 300-400 for the Amp.

Audio-gd DAC-100 for the DAC - DAC
HeedAudio CanAmp for the Amp - $400, Audio-gd C2C ($335 Promotion, current best bang for the dollar, CAST Krell Technology!), Purity Audio KICAS ($325), Graham Slee Solo ($400+)

For Combos you are looking around $500.

Audio-gd Compass currently has promotion for $258, a steal. Get the DAC-100 DAC and a discrete Amp that can compete with other 300+ discrete solid states.

There are tubes also, which will cost you less if you go with Little Dot. But other Tubes like Woo/Dark Voice are bit more expensive. In general, you can get more for the dollar with solid state than tubes, especially after buying more tubes for the Amp.

LD MK III or LD MK IV SE with the DAC-100, that will work great for you!

Around $400-500 for that combo. Is it worth it, only your ears can decide that, NO ONE here at Head-Fi can tell you if it's worth the price for you.

Side Note: ANYONE that recommends the HD555 over the AD700 has not heard the AD700.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) will transform the digital stream which represents the audio data coming from a device (for example, a CD player with digital output, or the decoded audio stream output from a music player) to an analog signal which will, in this case, be amplified and sent through the headphone output. Different DACs have distinct approaches to this conversion, resulting in a "sound signature"; that is, they will make the same digital stream sound different through the same headphones.

Looking at my audio sources like my xbox, pc, mp3 player, they all send analog signals to begin with. So in my case, am I correct in assuming that I don't need a DAC?

I guess I'm a little confused where I would even put a DAC because all the signals I use (other than optical) are analog signals.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched from HD555's to Beyer DT770 Pro's and I find it much easier locate enemies in games.

I prefer all my other headphones for listening to music, but nothing competes with my DT770/80's for positioning and isolation in gaming.

If you play a lot of FPS games, these are the phones for you.

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratzilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at my audio sources like my xbox, pc, mp3 player, they all send analog signals to begin with. So in my case, am I correct in assuming that I don't need a DAC?

I guess I'm a little confused where I would even put a DAC because all the signals I use (other than optical) are analog signals.

You wouldn't really benefit from a quality standalone DAC for gaming IMO. It would only be noticeable when listening to music.

The DT770/80 is fine plugged right in to a sound card. No amp needed and they will destroy a speaker setup all day long for positioning. You'll be amazed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back