First full-sized cans
Jul 3, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm off to college in the fall and I would like a set of full-sized cans to use in the dorm when studying/working. I currently use and love the Monster Turbines, but for stationary use I'd like a nice full-sized set. They will be used on a PC audio setup that will double for gaming.

These are my criteria:
- $200 budget (keep in mind I still need to buy a soundcard and possibly an amp if I/you all feel it's a smart purchase).
- Music is top priority, I don't game competitively. Genres include a large variety of rock and a little bit of electronica and hip hop.
- Neutral sound (Turbines are very bassy, I'd like something more neutral this time around).
- Will most likely buy the amp at a later date

Can't think of anything else right now, just that I don't think I'll need isolation or anything so open cans are fine. I also would like a circumaural pair (that means they have the pads that go around-ear right?) but that's not necessary.

I was looking at the Grado SR125i and the Senn HD595 because I don't really know much about other cans.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 31
I'm loving the Beyerdynamic DT150's right now, but I also highly recommend the ATH-AD700. The Fostex T50RP is highly recommended for beginning ortho sound, but takes some modding to tune it about right. Currently listening to the MS-1i and they sound great with rock (like all Grados supposedly) but perform decently with everything else. Look into the MS1000 mod also.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 31
Lots of suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif
Looks like I've got some research to do.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 31
I'm in the same situation but I would recommend a closed back headphone. It depends on where you will be listening/studying/etc but I went that route with Denon AH-D2000 (used) for $180 which have gotten good reviews and are said to have an airy, almost-open-backed sound but here's to hoping.

As far as suggestions go, I cannot recommend anything from experience because the only closed headphones I own is the Senn HD280 but there are much better out there so all I can contribute is that you should consider a closed headphone unless there will be no noise in your surroundings

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 31
HD580s, if you can find them used in the FS forums are great value, seen the go for as little $160 if I recall correctly. They do need an amp in theory, but I think they're still very capable cans without and give you a great upgrade path for a possible amp later on (speaking of my HD600s which are virtually the same except for aesthetics).

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD580s, if you can find them used in the FS forums are great value, seen the go for as little $160 if I recall correctly. They do need an amp in theory, but I think they're still very capable cans without and give you a great upgrade path for a possible amp later on (speaking of my HD600s which are virtually the same except for aesthetics).

I like HD580s a lot, in fact, I keep scouring the FS forum for a great deal on them, however given no amp, I think there are better options for less money. Compared head to head, I actually prefer the ATH AD700 to an unamped HD580. HD580s need a lot of voltage to knock off the sennheiser veil and to give their bass a balanced sound. Unamped the HD580s are almost completely lower midrange.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 31
I'd look at the MS1i before I'd look at the SR125i.

You also might consider the ATH AD700.

Also, a used SR225 would be a pretty good way to start.

All the above headphones are driven easily by a computer soundcard. Though they all benefit from more current (especially the Grados), which is a different kind of amplification than voltage (which is what high impedence headphones need).

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 31
To those recommending the 580's:
As much as I love them, getting the 580's as well as a good source and amp for under $200 is nearly impossible. I'd say AD700 and a good source. Maybe a DT770 off of ebay used under BD-USA.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 31
Damn, I see how much more complicated the full sized thing is than IEMs
confused.gif

Well, either way I read reviews on the Audio-Technica ATH AD700, Grado SR225i, Alessandro MS1i, Beyerdynamic DT150, and the Denon AH-D2000. It's a bit of an overload of info, so I'm still reading around before I decide what I think.

Oh and by the way, I meant $200 for the cans, not the cans/soundcard together. Realistically I plan to spend about $150 on the card and $200 on the phones, with the amp coming as an upgrade later on. Sorry if I confused everyone.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 31
Within that budget, I would get a used HD580/600 or D2000 or AD900 or K601. But most of these need headphone amp so you might want to get amp sooner.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 31
Before I start, this is all FWIR.... kk

Anyways, the AD700 looks like the perfect choice, but by judging by your music preferences it may seem that these might not fit the bill. Your looking for something with a nice lower range? The AD700 I hear are very anemic and subtle (good for gaming, but not for Techno or Hip/Hop) bass.

If you buy an Asus STX Soundcard in the future, I would recommend getting a used Denon AD2000 or a used Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 ohms. These also improve nicely with an amp so if in the future you upgrade these will scale!

Check the For Sale forum for these bad boys, they pop up regularly...

Also, remember that these forums are filled with Fanboys. Take every opinion, even mine, with a grain of salt. Your best bet is to go to a local store that carries your choices and try them all out and pick whichever one suites your ears. Only you can judge...

Good Luck!
regular_smile .gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a great allrounder that wont break the bank, its hard to go past the MS1

Grado's are great, particularly since they don't really need to be amped, but I have to wonder if he really wants to go open in a dorm room environment.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado's are great, particularly since they don't really need to be amped, but I have to wonder if he really wants to go open in a dorm room environment.

Fair point, bc, but the leakage from my MS1s is about 10% of what emerges from the K601 - the latter are like a pair of small speakers trying to entertain everyone in my apartment ...

For closed, A-T A500 are a good choice. Cant recommend the ES7s as they are uncomfortable, particularly for the first couple of weeks, and I'm not a big fan of the supra-aural design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back