First Foray into Headphone Amps.
Jun 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

grifforama

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Can I first add what a great forum this is, and it's given me a lot of information for my initial stab at a headphone amp.
As I'm a newbie, I thought I'd stick to a fairly sensible budget, and that's going to be max $200.
So from my investigations, the 3 amps I'm thinking of are (in no order of preference)
1. ibasso D2
2. Little Dot Mk1
3. Corda Headsix.
I have an ipod with a not-too-bad pair of audio technica SQ5's
I have so far been drawn to the ibasso, but it looks like I can get the Little Dot off ebay for a decent $125.
Can I ask everyone's opinions of my choices, and if anyone has any further suggestions, I'm open to them !
Regards
Griff.

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 4
So much to consider...
- Every amp has it's own distinctive flavor...few fall into that "transparent, straight-wire-with-gain" category (the HeadAmp line comes closest imo)...
- You're using AT-SQ5 cans now...but if you're already looking at an amp, chances are, those cans aren't the end of your journey...your sound signature preference should be considered during the amp selection process
- Do you want desktop or portable?
- Do you want an amp with a built-in DAC or maybe you don't need that?
- Tube or SS? Lots of factors to consider here!

I would suggest expanding your list of possible candidates to include some other amps that might be a bit of a stretch outside your current budget limit, and work that search function! The more you read & know, the more informed your decision will be.

Peace,

Graz

Jun 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 4
I'd highly suggest putting $200 into better headphones. It'll make enormously more of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back