First Focal for HD800s fan?
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JLovvorn

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Like the title says I want to explore Focal cans but don’t know where to start.
Own a lot but my favs are HD800, Stax Lambda Pro, and Sundara. Also really like my AKG714.
What Focal should I explore?
Would like to stay under 1k and love resolution, wide stage, top end. Not a bass head at all.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 11
No longer a FOTM anywhere, and seems to get a lot of abuse on forums, but it's funny how it seems so many people gravitate back to the HD800. I think that's still the #1 top-of-the-line headphone.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Looking ar your preferred headphones and your comments I would highly advice against buying blind.
Seems like we like the same headphones but Focals are pretty far from that.
What Focals definitely not have is a big soundstage and timbre. The Utopia does have more detail, speed and layering, but it doesnt make a more enjoyable listening experience. I'd take the HD800S over any Focal any day (and that incudes my Utopia).
Test and try for yourself :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 11
I agree mostly with what has been said - none of the Focal HPs has a stage anywhere comparable to the wide and deep stage of the HD-800S.
I tested and compared the HD-800S with the Focals and others, all with the Chord Hugo 2 as a source.
Loved the soundstage and detail I was getting from the HD-800S, especially with classical music. I remember how they project the concert hall beautifully, and create a very realistic perception of sitting in the audience - i.e. at a certain distance from the performers which are laid out on the stage.

I did end up buying the Focal Clear though, because I thought it was better value and more flexible than the HD-800S. (But I still have an eye on the Sennheiser...)
The soundstage is smaller, the sound is more dense and direct, and the balance is exceptional from my point of view.
The Utopia was another step up in resolution and definition, but the Clear is just a little smoother, which can even be an advantage at times, and at less than 1/3 of the price a no-brainer.

Bottomline - if you have the chance to test the Clears I think they could be a good addition to your collection with different strengths compared to the HD-800S.
If you do - better get the "Pro" version, it comes with an extra pair of ear pads for the same price and doesn't get dirty as easily as the light grey regular Clears.
(Focal is introducing a new version with Mg driver, so the Clears are on sale in EU for under €1000)

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 11
I agree mostly with what has been said - none of the Focal HPs has a stage anywhere comparable to the wide and deep stage of the HD-800S.
I tested and compared the HD-800S with the Focals and others, all with the Chord Hugo 2 as a source.
Loved the soundstage and detail I was getting from the HD-800S, especially with classical music. I remember how they project the concert hall beautifully, and create a very realistic perception of sitting in the audience - i.e. at a certain distance from the performers which are laid out on the stage.

I did end up buying the Focal Clear though, because I thought it was better value and more flexible than the HD-800S. (But I still have an eye on the Sennheiser...)
The soundstage is smaller, the sound is more dense and direct, and the balance is exceptional from my point of view.
The Utopia was another step up in resolution and definition, but the Clear is just a little smoother, which can even be an advantage at times, and at less than 1/3 of the price a no-brainer.

Bottomline - if you have the chance to test the Clears I think they could be a good addition to your collection with different strengths compared to the HD-800S.
If you do - better get the "Pro" version, it comes with an extra pair of ear pads for the same price and doesn't get dirty as easily as the light grey regular Clears.
(Focal is introducing a new version with Mg driver, so the Clears are on sale in EU for under €1000)
Echos what I've been hearing from those I trust. I love my HD800 and won't get rid of it, but given the chance (and cash!), I'd definitely try the Clears.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 11
My vote goes to a used pair of Focal Clear. Based on my experience, I liked Utopia the most, then Clear the second. When you consider the cost and value, Clear is probably one of the very best Focal model around $1K. Elex represent even better values, but if you have $1K, buy an used pair of Clear to satisfy your focal needs.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 11
I own the HD800S and they are my favorite headphones because they are so comfortable, they have the best soundstage of anything I've heard and it has great detail retrieval, imaging and resolution. They are hard to drive and the tonal balance is not great for many genres of music. But, if you learn how to EQ them, they are actually unbeatable to me as a pair of reference, studio headphones. I can make them sound great with any genre and the bass problem is solved with a 100hz bass shelf and 5-7db of gain.

Recently, I went through the process of purchasing a second headphone to get a more musical sound. I have heard the Focal Clears and I loved them. But, I wasn't wild about the small sound stage coming from the HD800S. I made an offer and had a deal for the Focal Utopia. That deal went south and it's a good thing, because within a week, I decided to purchase a pair of ZMF Verite Closed headphones. They couldn't be more different than the HD800S and its frequency response curve is a bit funky. But, when you EQ it or you pair it with the right tube amp and you use the right ear pads, the sound is wonderfully lush and rich with what is called the ZMF sound. I absolutely love that sound and want to thank the guy who backed out of the Utopia deal with me because I couldn't be more happy than I am now with ZMF.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 11
My vote goes to a used pair of Focal Clear. Based on my experience, I liked Utopia the most, then Clear the second. When you consider the cost and value, Clear is probably one of the very best Focal model around $1K. Elex represent even better values, but if you have $1K, buy an used pair of Clear to satisfy your focal needs.
If the OP needs to purchase a Focal, I would agree that the Clears are the safest bet. There was one week late last year that 3 of them sold for $750. That was insane pricing that I haven't seen since. I would also consider the Radiance and the new Celestee if closed backs are an option.

But now that I have my HD800S and Verite Closed, I feel all of my full sized headphone needs have been met. I'll wait a year and maybe consider purchasing a planar of some type. I want to get a Hifiman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back