First FLAC-playing flash-player announced
Oct 15, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melik
is FLAC better better than MP3 ?

Technically, yes. But, if you can't hear the different between mp3 and flac then I don't see a point and it'll just cost you more battery life on your mp3 player. However, you can use flac to backup CDs on your hard drive incase something happens to them.

Oct 15, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melik
is FLAC better better than MP3 ?

well maybe a bit more 'clear'

flac is a lossless compressing method, hence it has the advantage to mp3 of not loosing any information.

on the other hand mp3 files will have a significant smaller size, and it is 'easier' to decode them. hence the processor can be slower, and will use less power and therefore the battery will last longer.

on a portable device you will have a very hard time to distinguish between a high quality mp3 (like 320kbs) and a lossless format (there are more lossless formats than FLAC avaible).

regards gordon

Oct 17, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #18 of 20
Pretty obvious that its a new platform and they expect to ramp up the memory size as it comes along in price! I mean doesn't Apple get leeway to do the same all the time? Of course Cowon is doing the same thing.

As for the FLAC, I welcome it. I'd probabaly not use FLAC below 1GB capacity, but I'd certainly use it. At that size you want a few songs etc, its obviously not meant to replace a 60GB X5! They already have that product nice covered.

As important is Cowon's continued support for Ogg Vorbis.

I'm definitely buying this one. I have a 256MB U2 and had just started to think about a replacement. I was starting to look at HB players, but I think this will keep me in flash camp, especially as most of my usage is jogging and other mobile stuff.[/

Nov 17, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lossless
The iAudio X5 did also only support FLAC levels 0-2 when it was released. IAudio did however extend the support up to level 8 shortly after the release so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I have an X5L. How do I change the level? Is this something I do on the machine or via the JetShell program?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back