First FLAC-playing flash-player announced
Oct 14, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it's the first, anyway.. the iAudio U3

http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.115

of course, you won't fit a whole lot of FLAC audio onto a player with only 512mb or 1gb of memory... but there will be a 2-gig version as well. i'd guess a 4gb version isn't too far away, either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 20
FLAC and flash should never be used in the same sentence; it's just illogical. Even a 20gb player is a bit too small for FLAC, unless you only store your favourite albums in FLAC.

Looks like a very nice player though, I'm sure the nano has seized a lot of the flash market by now though, even though the U3 looks superb.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBC
Note that it's only supporting FLAC levels 0-2...

The iAudio X5 did also only support FLAC levels 0-2 when it was released. IAudio did however extend the support up to level 8 shortly after the release so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Oct 14, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 20
Damn this thing looks hot.
biggrin.gif

They definitely need to up the memory if they are planning to do flac. I would love to see a 4-8 gb version, that would be enough to get me though the day. I'll be waiting to see the price tag first though.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 20
well the good thing about FLAC on flash is that it should not be sluggish like it is on a lot of other players which only have 16 or 32mb of memory to buffer the HDD....

but yeah, capacity-wise this just makes absolutely no sense.

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 20
FLAC is a lossless audio format, so it will sound as good as the actual cd or wav, but they take up less space

formats like mp3, ogg vorbis, and aac are lossy so they won't sound as good, but take up much less space and are fine for most people

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 20
Umm, to be honest, I am not particularly interested in a flash based FLAC player either. Well, it will appeal to a small niche I guess. But the way I use flash players (outdoor, jogging or at the gym) mean that I won't really benefit from lossless really..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back