First DIY Thoughts
Jun 11, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

catchedge

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get into DIY, but I don't want to start with something as small as a CMOY.

I'm looking for thoughts on either a DIY kit that would be good for a starter.  Doesn't need an enclosure persay as I could just buy one or something along those lines.  I also would like it to have a power supply.

If I were to not go with a DIY kit, what are the main things that I would need in order to start putting together a list of parts?  I'm not of the skill level to design my own board, so obviously I would have to use schematics I find from a different location, but from that point is it just picking whatever caps and such that I want or is there a "guide" that one should follow when building these.

Any thoughts on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 17
Depending on how much you plan to spend, I highly recommend the Bottlehead Crack. A great tube amp that goes for less than $220 including an enclosure, before shipping. I just built one a month or so ago and am very happy with it. It was only my second DIY project and I found it totally doable.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 17
The Millet Max might be a good option.  There are step-by-step instructions with clear pictures and plenty of documentation.  It's a pretty popular build so help is plentiful.  In terms of difficulty it is not bad for an early project.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 17
The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III might be an option - it's another well documented project from AMB which going by the website is meant to be easy to build (the case work should certainly be pretty simple). It has an integrated power supply, but this means dealing with AC line wiring and voltages, which unless you're confident in what you're doing, is very dangerous.

Something that accepts power from a standard wall wart might be more appropriate for a first project.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 17
The Millet Max sounds like it could be a good starter.  I was looking at the Crack but I don't know if it justifies that much more than the Millet?  Thoughts on SQ or performance with my Denon D2000s and their low impedance?

Jun 12, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 17
Minimax for sure. It was my first DIY project and went quite smoothly, its a good mate for the d2ks as well.

http://beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=125

I got that kit, it is totally inclusive.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 17
Despit You didn't want to and if You haven't done many solder works I do recommend You to build a cmoy or something like that. You could do a regulated PSU but that wont make You as happy to power on as a headphone amp does.
You should buy a prefboard and try to think how to arrange the conponents, then which should be soldered first, and when cut the legs shorter etc.

I tell You this because I finished some projects back in school many years ago before I thought last Year to get into electronics again. I'm working with microcontrollers actually, and when I decided to build a small prefboard communication adapter (a MAX232N, not more complicated than a Cmoy amp.) it took me hours to finish it (mind that the prefboard is not bigger than 2cm * 4cm). You have to get skills with small things before You get sure how to begin with something bigger and more complex.

You won't be happy if Your work is ugly. I think, if something is ugly then it is not DIY-ing, but MESSing.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 17
It's not that I don't particularly want to build one, it's that I want to build something that I have a use for.  I'm still thinking the MiniMax although you do bring up a very good point.  Counterpoint is that the MiniMax still is fairly small, although not as small as a CMOY.

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 17
The MiniMAX is, IMO, the best beginner project you could ask for. Not only does it come with all the necessary parts, but the casework is done for you as well (and what beautiful carework it is). The hardest part about DIY is closing up something, and the tools for casework are far more expensive than those for putting together the guts (CNC, drill press, various punches, hardware, etc etc). Just make sure you don't cheap out and buy quality tools - that means a good soldering iron (best to have a temperature-controlled station, anywhere from $50-100), flux, desoldering braid, and various tips for the iron.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 17
My best advice to you would be pay attention to resistor values and polarity or the other peices like capacitors and diodes, and just take your time. I made the mistake of mixing up some resistors when I built mine and it was way more work to fix than it was to build.

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 17
Solder wise, I recommend any brand 63/37 with a rosin flux core - I wouldn't buy anything fancier than that. About 0.7mm should do nicely for most work.

Iron wise, I use a Hakko clone (Aoyue 937+ 35W), although a lower wattage than the real thing, I've been pleased with it and it's served me well. You can get a wide range of different tips for this iron which is very useful.

+1 on the flux and +1 on the solder braid (a couple of different gauges can come in handy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back