First DIY headphone amp
Jan 14, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Mini3 is Very portable and small, but to say the truth, I like my Pimeta somewhat more and in a Serpac H65 case, it's not that much larger, plus the Pimeta has more options on opamps + buffers (and some discrete types can be made as well - designing one right now
wink.gif
).

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 11
Jan 14, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 11
The Mini3 has a few very nice things about it - it's a 3-channel design using extremely high speed opamps with a fairly nice power supply and it's all off a 9V battery in a Hammond 1455C80x case, which is pretty tiny.

ESP Project 109 has a few serious drawbacks. One, it uses an input cap (bad unless you need it). The crossfeed is easy to implement, take your pick of the Corda Cross circuit or CMOY's Linkwitz crossfeed, both are there for you to DIY on a very simple board if you want it, and Tangent offers CMOY's crossfeed PCBs.

The Mini3, although unbuffered and simple looking, offers nice sound because of its nice implementation of the AD8397 and OPA690 opamp which in general don't need a buffer (AD8397 has an output current of 300mA+, who wants to buffer that).

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 11
something with boards available if its your first big bit of soldering if not then anything you like the look of.

HeadWize Library

has quite a few interesting designs if you don't want to just use an opamp. Are you familier with vero/perfo board? thats what I build most things on. It's messy but works.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to but in but wanted to ask a few questions - this is probably an obvious one, but is the mini3 better than a regular CMoy, and how much does it cost?

Yes, it's much better than a "regular" cmoy. It costs about $70 to build, just add ~ $10 for a battery and another ~ $10 for power supply. Jeff offers kits for it at Glass Jar Audio if you want don't want to pick your own parts. It's a nice kit.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's much better than a "regular" cmoy. It costs about $70 to build, just add ~ $10 for a battery and another ~ $10 for power supply. Jeff offers kits for it at Glass Jar Audio if you want don't want to pick your own parts. It's a nice kit.

any guy build this amp? how good are they
i mean glassjaraudio?

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Have a look at the build and discussion thread on headwize... the mini³ was build many... many... many times!

And Jeff (GlassJarAudio) is the best! Nothin' less...
wink.gif

best regards,
bearmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back