First DIY cable build a success!!
Apr 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
Nothing earth-shattering here, just made some power cords using this basic recipe:

DIY Mains Power Cable (Belden 83803)

I left the techflex off and used Wattgate economy plugs instead of the Marinco. I thought the Belden 83803 looked great naked...no need to cover it up.

One question for those that have done this before - getting enough of the braided sheild twisted together to make it into the ground plug seemed really tricky. Do you just make one long cut down the braid and then twist the rest together? Seems like you create a lot of tiny, loose wires that way but I couldnt' think of any other way.

Looking forward to more complex DIY projects in the future!!

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah you just have to unravel a bit of the shield and twist it into a little wire and shove it into the ground pin.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 10
How long did you make the cable? Isn't that 83803 stiff as hell?

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Good to hear and yes, pictures will be appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 10
I made the cables about five feet...yes, that 83803 is stiff!! Luckily, the cords are going to the WA6SE, 840C, and my old Creek 4240SE integrated - all heavy enough to tame the stiffness.

I'm actually going to re-do the wall end to make the shield a little neater (based on the advice given here...thanks!). After I'm done I'll snap a picture and put it up.

The flame-red teflon jacket certainly doesn't make this a cable that "hides"!!

Anyone made two identical power cords except use the economy Wattgate on one and the Audio Grade on the other? There's a HUGE price difference...couldn't see spending the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back