First Date Ideas....
Mar 23, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #16 of 111
Some good suggestions so far.

Something outdoors would be my first choice - however, I don't have the luxury of living in Silicon Valley; it's about 45F with massive amounts of melting snow, mud, and sand literally everywhere.

Anyway I think I'm pretty much settled on it - going to go to Bellini's, a nice Italian eatery (not too formal but more quaint than a chain like Applebees) and then head to Barnes and Noble. I think this will work because we've already known each other for about a year now and talk during the day a lot, so it's not like we will run out of things to say at dinner.

Time to give her a call I think...

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some good suggestions so far.

Something outdoors would be my first choice - however, I don't have the luxury of living in Silicon Valley; it's about 45F with massive amounts of melting snow, mud, and sand literally everywhere.

Anyway I think I'm pretty much settled on it - going to go to Bellini's, a nice Italian eatery (not too formal but more quaint than a chain like Applebees) and then head to Barnes and Noble. I think this will work because we've already known each other for about a year now and talk during the day a lot, so it's not like we will run out of things to say at dinner.

Time to give her a call I think...

sounds good! Hope everything goes well. I know how awkward first dates can be (especially with a friend)!

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 111
Did you say SNOW? Dude, if that was me, I would be thinking SKI/SNOWBOARD TRIP!
biggrin.gif
There are tons of fun things you can do in cold weather! I don't know how that escaped me, I used to live in snowy Colorado! Going out to play in snow can be a great date activity - you don't even need to go play in it actually, just walking around enjoying the snow is really fun! If you have an outdoor mall or anything similar, meet at a Starbucks or something similar, grab hot cocoas, and walk around, no need for something high-maintenance. Or for something funny, see if an ice cream shop is open, it always feels funny to have ice cream in the winter but it's nice when you're doing it with someone else. Being cold together can also increase the romantic possibilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #20 of 111
Find out what indoor interests she has. Same school? Hockey game would be my pref. I found women enjoy live hockey (the female testosterone stirs and they get an opportunity to dress up). Besides, a public place is more comfortable. Or, a carriage ride after dinner sharing the Ipod and headphones. Don't have to talk as much. If things go well, keep it in your pocket.

Your into the time of your life right now. Enjoy.

Mar 23, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #21 of 111
The only places i go for first dates are Cafe's and Restaurants (NO FAST FOOD PLACES!). That allows you to know your partner better which is usually what people want on their first dates. It allows you both to talk and have a good time while talking without much interruption. I would never suggest going to a movie for a first date because you'll just end up sitting there not paying attention tot he movie and wondering what the other person is thinking.

SO yeah, Cafe and/or restaurant = win win. Ofcourse going to a Cafe or restaurant alone won't kill enough time for a whole date, but it allows you to know what your partner is interested in (which creates a great foundation for ideas on future dates and what to do after going to the cafe/restaurant). Just make sure you don't end up with the awkward silence (you already know this since you mention that you were in a few previous relationships). Keep the conversations going and be as interesting as possible. Try to go witht he flow instead of making things up to say because both of you will notice it and thats where it starts going down. And... yeah thats all i can think of at the moment
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 111
TWISTER!

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 111
evil_smiley.gif
Ah, finally a topic I actually know a little about
smily_headphones1.gif

A few simple things, learned from guys much more successful than me with women.

1. If you don't know her very well, set a time constraint on the first date- it'll make it better for the both of you. Make plans with friends afterwards, and tell her for ex., "I have some plans with my friends around 10 pm (or whatever), but we can hang out until then." I know, sounds counterintuitive- but trust me, in case things don't flow or click, it'll make things much easier for you and her knowing that you're tied to some indefinite time period. It also lets her know that you have a definite social life outside her (very important).

2. I disagree with taking a girl out to dinner for the first date. I'm going to be harsh here, but it's boring and it's what almost EVERY SINGLE GUY before her has done. I'll concede that if she's just in her teens, then because she doesn't have a lot of dating experience it may be ok.

But by the time an attractive woman is in her 20s she's been on over a hundred of those boring (so what do you do, what are your hobbies, how's your family, etc zzzzz) dinner dates. A coffee date is almost as bad, but at least you can just use it as meeting place before skipping out to a new location.

Instead, find a place where the focus will not just be on you and her. In other words, don't put yourself in a situation where you are entirely reliant on the conversation as being the only source of interaction in the room. Especially when that awkward silence comes... yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Rather, go someplace that has a 3rd source of interaction, something you can both take part in or even just discuss (rather than having to sit around and talk about yourselves for 2 hours). Even something really simple like going to the (Southwick
biggrin.gif
) zoo or asking her to help you go upgrade your wardrobe (and women love doing this) will be better than a boring, predictable dinner.

3. Finally, don't calibrate yourself to her interests. What do you enjoy doing? So many guys out there (I was one of them) try to find something the girl likes and plan a whole evening around it (her favorite restaurant, favorite band, etc.). Bad, bad, bad.

Always lead (and I'm not saying be aggressive, forceful, or an *******) and be decisive. Open her up to a new experience. Use the date to show her that you're inviting her to a certain part of YOUR LIFESTYLE.

Take her to someplace special she can only experience with you, and not with her friends. If she's a punk/skater/artsy type, take her to something physical or athletic. And vice versa.

If she expresses dislike about, for example, your taste in music, your favorite food, your hobbies, etc. don't start apologizing or changing your opinions to try and win points (you're actually losing points if you do). Instead react the same way you'd treat a best friend- tease her about it, and say something like "Oh yeah? That's too bad because now you and I will never work out" with a sly grin on your face. Again, seems counterintuitive, but trust me- it works.

I could go on for much longer, but I don't know if I want to give away all the secrets of the trade.
evil_smiley.gif

Anyways dude, best of luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 111
Take her to the local graveyard, and point out all the dead people you know.

You can make some up, if you like.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should rent a hotel room, spread rose petals all over the bed, and have a couple bottles of champagne waiting. Oh yeah, and don't tell her about anything before you get there. Then when you get there and she freaks out... tell her it was just a joke for an icebreaker. Then she'll think you're so funny that she'll actually want to stay in the hotel room!

Sound like a plan? Ok... Go!

Or she will call the cops.

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #28 of 111
How about a restaurant like Cosi's? Everything there is extremely laid back.
There's one in West Hartford center. Then you could take a walk around the center and talk some more? (I have no idea where in CT you live, but WH center is a convenient spot for me).

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #29 of 111
Lol, this thread is great. I can learn agew things. It's funny because of the 4 years I've been with my girlfriend, I've never taken her out on a date. =T I think I'll keep an eye on this thread and finally take her out.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #30 of 111
Laxx makes a really good point. The word "date" has so many connotations attached to it.

Seriously, poll 50 random girls and ask them:

Would you rather have a guy say:

"Can I take you out sometime?"

or

"My friends and I go out running/salsa dancing/swimming/hiking/shopping/whatever Thursday nights. You should tag along. Bring some of your friends if you want."

Now if you're worried that asking the latter will get you in the dreaded "friend" zone, don't worry. It took me a while to realize this but it's simple.

If you act like her male friend, then you'll end up as one. If you don't, then you won't. It's simply knowing the distinction between affection (one way road to friend-zone) and attraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back